Speaker stands

Options
mknutt
mknutt Posts: 61
edited September 2003 in Speakers
Wondering which material makes for a better speaker stand (if there is a difference)...steel or wood?
Post edited by mknutt on

Comments

• STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey MKNutt, Just got done with the speaker stand thing , when I purchased my LSi's. What I have found...you have heard location , location, location....I have found the key is weight , weight, weight. Metal, would be and is my stand of choice. Tried a couple of the more inexpensive stands, Sanus and the like, they couldn't comfortably handle the weight. Ended up with Plateau series V. They are as heavy as the speaker itself, no movement or vibrations of the stand or the speaker...feels like the 9's are glued to the thing. But of course with the weight comes $$$$. $179 for the Plateaus. Even with my JBL's upstairs I have lighter stands and they seem to blow themselves off the lighter stands from time to time....
    Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I built my own stands, have a look HERE they are based on this design

My stands are VERY solid and I built them for about 80 bucks. not too bad. filled with sand they weigh about 50 to 60 pounds. I saved myself about $200 from the stands I "wanted" to buy. my DIY stands do the job and do it well. some day I may get some "better" stands but not any time soon...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15