Denon 2900 calibration

Options
acdds
acdds Posts: 253
edited September 2003 in Electronics
I am trying to calibratemy 2900. I have the new Digital Video Essentials DVD. I tried to adjust the picture quality on my tv (Sony 32in WEGA) according to the instructions on the DVD. It went fairly well but I did not understand everything they were trying to do. I then realized that the 2900 has all the variable adjustments built into the player. Do I adjust the picture thru the 2900 or the TV or both? If it is thru the 2900, how do you watch the test patterns and adjust the levels without having to go to the menu screen in the 2900? Also I had a lot of difficulty adjusting the volume levels using the DVD. I have a SPL meter and was using the test tones from the DVD. I have a 2803 (soon to upgrade to 3803) I was trying to listen to the pink noise from the DVD while adjusting the volume levels thru the display on the 2803 unit. After 2 seconds, the 2803 display would reset itself and I think the master volume would reset too. So all of my levels are really out of whack. I would really appreciate any advice on this. I am a smart guy but this is really confusing (and trying to watch the DVE DVD all the way through almost put me to sleep) Thanks!
Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
DVD = Denon DV-2900
Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
(Carver m1.5t)
Center = CSi40
Side surrounds = Fxi30's
Sony 12" sub
TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
Rti38's
Post edited by acdds on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I haven't looked at mine yet, but for the sound, try hitting the center of the remote toggle button and it will call up each channel level for each input (DD, DTS, stereo, etc.). That way you can adjust on the fly without the GUI on screen menu of the 2803.

Can't help you with the video yet.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I have been doing that but when the unit display turns back to whatever version (DD EX, DTS, DTS-EX) you are listening to, I think the master volume resets to 00. So if I am trying to calibrate each channel but do switch them quick enough they will not be equal. For example, I set the center to 0.0db at a master volume of -03, then start to adjust each channel (FL= 1.5db...) but before I get to surround left, the display on the unit reads DD EX again. If I toggle thru using the center remote button, the SL channel will be adjusting to a master volume level of 00 instead of -03 thus making the SL much louder than any of the other channels. Does this make sense to anyone?
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Always leave the MV at 00 when doing channel level calibration.

And it should not change unless you have the 2803 set in channel level mode on the set-up menu, which is not needed with the remote button method.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS