SVS is all hype

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
Went to friend's house a couple of weeks ago because he was bragging about his new SVS Pb1. I had been reading all of the reviews and was really expecting to be impressed. The SVS certainly looked impressive, but it didn't sound any more impressive than a $200 sub. In fact, I have a $100 sub and it sounded just as good as his SVS.

It's all about bass management and placement. Most people don't put in the time to learn what it takes to get the most out of their subwoofer. They think buying the latest "fashionable" sub is the answer when they could have held on to their old sub and made it blend better with their speakers.

What you're buying in an SVS is build quality, looks, the company's reputation and customer service, etc. That's OK, but you're not buying a better sound. I'm not trying to single out the SVS. What I'm saying holds true for many of the more expensive subs.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited September 2003
    Options
    You should have titled this "The PB1 is all hype" and not bundled the entire company of SVS into the realm of hype.
    Which 100 dollar sub do you own that holds its own against the PB1? Did this guy put the amount of time into placement and bass management that he should or you would have? Any spl meter comparisons? How long has he owned the PB1? Does he have the sub on a wood floor or concrete? How long was your listening session and what material did you use?

Many people have trouble discerning the difference in quality of sound when it comes to SVS..this is because of the cleanliness and precision of sound. Apparently this takes some getting used to..considering most of us are used to boomy subs.

As far as "fashionable" goes, the SVS line is only pleasing to most in box form. The cylinder line, which some consider to be ugly, made up for it's lack of aesthetic appeal in sound quality. I doubt the quality of sound has changed that drastically between the box and cylinder lines..so the fashionable aspect carries little weight.

SVS has a very strong following on this and other forums and I'm sure your lumping statement will be picked apart in microscopic detail. If your going for a troll post, you'll get a few responses and it will be figured out very quickly.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Looks like a Troll, just trying to stir the pot. Pfffft.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Early B.
    It's all about bass management and placement. Most people don't put in the time to learn what it takes to get the most out of their subwoofer.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: - READ WHAT YOU WROTE
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I can't help but reply. You say that your $100 sub sounds as good as an svs? You also fail to mention the room size of each others room. Where is his compaired to yours? In your other post you mention that you have 2 subs on each end of your couch. That maybe the reason for you having any desent sound and feel, I highly dought that anybody would ever think of doing that with an svs of any model. I can't help but refer to a headphone set sound good some even with souround and the bass is good also but they probably wouldn't sound as good if they weren't covering your ears. I have 2 polk subs and while I have bass and at times I can feel it (if turned half-way mabey alittle more)(room size-19x24x9) but I don't get the kind of bass that I heard/felt at the CC desplay the only reason is that I was standing right infront of the sub. I'm sure if I do it that way at home I would get that feeling again but that is not the way you set-up a theater. I also would dought that anybody else who my be in the room not sitting directly next to the sub would get the same feeling, in the properly set-up system everybody should get the same experience.

Dave
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'm one of the few on here that have a Pb1-isd, Russman is right.. just trying to start something. However you came to the right place to start something, :D

I have had several subs and NO $100.00 sub would be better then the SVS pb1 period!!! Unless you got 600.00 to a grand off a really good sub, retail 100.00 sub forget it!! your crazy, My svs is their entry level sub and by no means is it entry level when it comes to accurate, clean, bass, My polk subs didnt stand a chance against this, and if you ever demo'd a better SVS you wouldnt be making such a blanket statement. Maybe your friend has a very large room and got the entirely to small sub for the space, but even then it would outperform a 100.00 sub in quality.

The proper way to shootout subs is in the same room, same gear, side by side. Not "at my house" and his, your room could be 10x10' with a klh sub and he could have a 24x16" or larger with his SVS,

next
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited September 2003
    Options
    How about some details, what size room was your demo done in, what equipment was your friend using, etc. DETAILS, we need DETAILS Early B. Have you ever giving a dog a bowl full of water on a 100 degree day and then told the dog it could not drink it, well, thats pretty much what you are doing here. Oh, this post is going to be fun.:D
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    This thread starter is all hype. Don't waste your time on it gang.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Agreed Doro, BIG friggin bag of NOTHING.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    edited September 2003
    Options
    yup!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Forget this crack. he doesn't know what he is talking about. Without proper figures u cannot judge what nonsense he's talking about.
    Don't waste your time guys.
    SVS is the king of subs in its respective price ranges

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited September 2003
    Options
    C'mon, Doc! Put in your $0.02 and then GET OUT!!! :D
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2003
    Options
    This is obviously a case of someone who is used to BOOOOOMING distortion laden bass. When most people hear REAL bass for the first time it's often dissapointing because the the mid bass boominess they're used to is gone.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    That's OK, but you're not buying a better sound.
    C'mon, Doc! Put in your $0.02 and then GET OUT!!!

Don't know if he is a troll or jumped to an uninformed conclusion.

With that said, you are buying better sound:

1) A flatter frequency response without the 40-50 Hz peak so typical of lesser subs to hide the fact that they have no real low end.

2) Much deeper extension. Most subs are rated to the mid 30 Hz region; the SVS is flat to 20 Hz or better in-room.

3) Much higher sound pressure capability over the entire operating range of the sub. Just as loud and capable at 20 Hz as it is at 40 Hz.

4) Far lower THD. SVS has been independently tested to exhibit much lower THD than comparably priced competitors. THD is a driect reflection on driver quality. Low THD directly translates into very "clean" sounding bass and also helps the sub disappear in a room even at an 80 Hz crossover.

Flatter, deeper, louder, cleaner. You really do get what you pay for and there is no $100, $200, or even $500 sub that can stand up to a direct comparsion with a PB1-ISD in these OBJECTIVE and MEASUREABLE categories. To say otherwise is uninformed **** or just a troll.

My $0.02 - I'm out.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • hamzahsh
    hamzahsh Posts: 439
    edited September 2003
    Options
    You can always get most out of something if you know how to.

I won't blame subwoofer in this case. Its true that proper calibration and bass-management is the key to achieve desired performance. Also same time the placement, room size, distance, type of material to demo DVD/CD, etc., type of cables and quality of A/V receiver and Pre/Pro Amp sum together and work as a team to put out the best.

The best thing is to find out if he's meeting all those requirements. Check if he set all the speakers to small and using the receiver's crossover at 80hz and bypassing the sub crossover.

Here is my 2 cents as well!

:D
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks hamzahsh. Someone finally posts an intelligent response.

Most of you sound like a bunch of whining women. I merely stated that I wasn't impressed with the sound that came from my friend's SVS, and many of you act like I slapped your mama. Others even resorted to name calling. Chill out. Nearly everbody likes McDonalds french fries, but if someone says they hate them, do you verbally bash them because their taste differs from yours? Don't forget that sound has a subjective quality to it.

I'm sure there are some improvements my friend can make such as placement, cables, etc., but since he loves his SVS, I ain't gonna say a word. He might treat me with contempt like some of you guys have done. On second thought, he's more mature than that.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • LiquidSound
    edited September 2003
    Options
    So, because of your subjective opinions on one particular sub, which hasn't been properly calibrated, tweaked or beefed up by cables and whatnot..the entire company is all hype. Brilliant.

So you can make the statement to a blind forum but not to your friend? Maybe you should sneak your balls out of your wife's purse and go talk to the man.

By the way, you didn't address a single question I asked in the first response. While you have possession of your nads, you might wanna answer one or two.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • LiquidSound
    edited September 2003
    Options
    heh.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Early B.
    I merely stated that I wasn't impressed with the sound that came from my friend's SVS,

I'm sure there are some improvements my friend can make such as placement, cables, etc., .

Can you say "backpeddle?" I thought you could. That description in NO way fits your original post. If what you write here was your intent, you would have / could have entitled your post something like "proper sub set-up makes all the difference." You specifically state that people don't get a better sound with SVS... you COULD have said that *improperly set up, even a quality sub* isn't as good as a $100 sub (that must be some sub). Rather, you ignorantly posted hyperbole about an entire Company's line... a Company whose products are very well respected on these forums. You went trolling for a response and now you're pussin' out when you get called on it.
  • Charles Rose
    Charles Rose Posts: 24
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Sad thing is the post was clearly meant to piss you SVS fans off. And you are all letting it get to you. Undoubtedly SVS makes a stellar product, but why let this childish thread go on? Is audio about bashing each other to feel good about ones equipment?

:confused:

Charles
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Judging by the grin on LiquidSound's troll doll, it looks like it just experienced the full impact of a properly set up SVS subwoofer. :D
  • LiquidSound
    edited September 2003
    Options
    If we don't kill this troll properly, when someone does a search for SVS this will undoubtedly come up and perhaps taint their opinions. Besides, it's kinda fun to smack this backpeddling chump around.
    "And you are all letting it get to you." I seriously doubt anyone is losing sleep over this, rose.

"Is audio about bashing each other to feel good about ones equipment?" Seriously, what in the hell are you talking about? Are you one of those people who won't let their kids play musical chairs because it's 'competitive'?
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Liquid,
    I don't sleep anyways....

I read this short clip of opinion...

Then I read the second paragraph and thought this dude lost all ways of communicating between his mind and fingers onto the keys which he punched. He answered everything about his opinion in his own post.

SVS has been said to beat things costing 3 times the price, in reviews of professionals and of customers around the web now. I don't think 1 out of 5,000+ reviews are going to change the fact that SVS probally owns! lol!

I have been told that it would take EIGHT -- yeah... EIGHT -- M&K MX-125's to match the output, power, pressure, cleaness, exstention of the SVS PB2 ISD. That says something right there. Considering the MX-125 alone cost 1,300 dollars. I own the older brother (older in years), MX-90. Would hate to see that match up. It just shows what a bad demo can do.

Just imagine what people hear in CC when they listen to Polk. Polk, getting the picture?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • LiquidSound
    edited September 2003
    Options
    50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong.
    I hear ya man.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I think Elvis sounds like a constipated elephant on a square toilet...
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'll send $20 to the "Buy Sid A PB2-ISD" fund.

Imagine the posts after he gets it...............that alone would be worth the $$.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Haha! Effin hilarious Doc!

Doc,
    Funds look short, car insurance, gas is looking bright in my future in the next year or so. So the PCi 20-39 is my ticket, unless the Get Sid the PB2 ISD Foundation goes underway! That would be awesome!
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2003
    Options
    doc i need an svs too. and im only 15, can i get some cash for my svs? my only bass is from my rti70s....not very much...anyone who wants to, i accept personal checks
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Early B,
    Don't you own a Sony Subwoofer?

O.K.

Sorry,
    but I for one have heard it all...

From Russ replacing poly-fill to Sony subwoofers being better than SVS, heck Polk for that matter.

I surrender...lol

PS: I am not bashing Sony subwoofers. Infact, for 100 dollars, go for it. It's your money. I am just saying....
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    I'll send $20 to the "Buy Sid A PB2-ISD" fund.

Imagine the posts after he gets it...............that alone would be worth the $$.

I'm in... Wanna see if we can set a new record for Russ' BP... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    doc i need an svs too. and im only 15, can i get some cash for my svs? my only bass is from my rti70s....not very much...anyone who wants to, i accept personal checks

you had 150's which have alot of bass, and you traded them in, :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp