What Rainbow Effect?

Options
pentoncm
pentoncm Posts: 379
edited September 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I've read a lot on the disadvantages of tweeters mounted low with the mids because of a 'rainbow effect' with the stage height being asymmetrical. Higher on the far side than the near side for example. After moderate tuning in my car, I have to say that I notice nothing close to a rainbow effect. The image from my near side is exactly ear level, and the height seems even from left to right. I truly believe however that when tweeters are mounted low and aimed up that you absolutely have to consider how you are sitting in the seat and how it will effect the sound. If you are sitting straight up at 90 and far forward I imagine it will be impossible to have an even stage height. However, as you move back and lean at a comfortable angle the stage widens and becomes very balanced. I myself am pretty much sold on mids/tweets mounted together and lower. I prefer the sound of drivers that behave closer to being a point source as opposed to being separated. Just wanted to add my two cents as I haven't seen many posts here promoting tweeters in kicks.

Also as a side note, I recently upgraded to the Kenwood Excelon x595. I did this so I could have a HU where I could disable the internal amp and I wanted a HU with a 24bit DAC. Good deal for $170.
Audison Bit Ten
Kenwood X595
Polk MM6501
Polk MM1240
Mtx 704x
Alpine MRX50
Post edited by pentoncm on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nothing really wrong with mids and tweets in the kicks. The hit in stage height is only an issue if you're going to be competing. Otherwise most people wont notice or care. But you height will be limited and it wont be much higher than your AC vents.

When people talk about the rainbow effect, its not that everything will be lower. Higher frequency stuff will be high but the midrange and lower mid stuff will be lower. Listen to an acoustic guitar for instance, it will sound lower than the rest of stage because you wont have any high frequencies to pull it up.

Again, this only affects stage height and that's only a problem to competitors and car audio snobs. :wink: To most everybody else, it wont matter and the added increase in tonality by having the mids and tweets next to each other could be worth it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2011
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Again, this only affects stage height and that's only a problem to competitors and car audio snobs. :wink:

waaahhhhh