amp for gnx10s

rodney
rodney Posts: 91
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
i have 2 GNX104s in a sealed enclosure. does a 150x2 sony amp put out enough power for the subs to sound good?
alpine cda-9857
polk db6500
polk ex369
polk/momo mm104
profile ap1040
kenwood kac-7251
Post edited by rodney on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    what are their rms ratings?
    are they single voice coil 4 ohm subs?
    and no they will not sound good on that amp...simply because its sony
    -Cody
  • rodney
    edited September 2003
    the 2 gnx's handle 175 rms, 400 max, while the amp puts out 150x2 rms, and 300x2 max
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • rodney
    edited September 2003
    and they are svc and 4 ohm
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2003
    The Sony amp has enough power to operate those subs well enough. However, if you can have another choice, the advice is to go that way. the Sony amps, while they will do the job, are not the highest in quality. There are alot of things that can go wrong and there are alot of complaints and issues that other customers have cited concerning the Sony gear.

You can get a better amplifier from Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Kenwood, Alpine, Hifonics, Soundstream and even Profile. Your money wouold be better spent elsewhere but that is just an opinion. If you already have the amplifier, no need to go getting a different one. At least not until the Sony breaks.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    trust me if you can aviod sony do so at all costs, the pre explode stuff wasn't too bad but everything since explode is crap
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    and stuff like profile and us acoustics is in the same price range...the other brands listed as well are not real bad price wise...i mean theyre great for their price, dont get me wrong, but some people just dont have the money to fork over, were not telling you to break the bank here...Club Polk, the Anti-Sony
    lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    hey you guys remember Rodney Pete, used to play for teh Detroit Lions.

he was pretty cool.

Not as cool as Bo Jackson or Tom Rathman, but he was still cool... Ricky Proehl used to be the man too.

Imma go dig up Super Tecmo Bowl for original 8 bit Nintendo and bust some shizzle out...

Vinny Testaverde's 1995 Tampa Bay Bucs here i come... complete with orange uniforms.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • rodney
    edited September 2003
    does us acoustics make good quality products? they make an amp that pushes 160x1 bridged, so would getting 2 of these be a good idea? only thing is, that these amps dont have bass boost. and what about kenwood?
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • rodney
    edited September 2003
    what about lightning audio??
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    I've had no experience with US acoustics...but I have heard theyre reliable and a great deal for the money...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    i have to do everything for everybody ---

but thats ok...

here... get this amp...

http://www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com/products/product.cfm?PN=THUNDER500D

why? -- because it's a friggin beast.

and its cheap -- i paid like 500 when i bought this thing way back in the day... you'd be getting it right from the manufacturer at dirt **** low price of 300 bucks.

it's way more power than you need, but so what -- when you get better subs the amp will still be fine -- you can run subs up to 400 watts rms each off of this amp (long as they're single 4 ohm coil subs -- two subs -- amp does 800 x 1 or more if your'e lucky at 2 ohms).

and if you're cheap but still want a good amp that'll be plenty of juice for your subs -- do the 250D -- it'll do 350-ish by 1 at 2 ohms (175 per sub) and its no joke as far as amps go....

here's a link -- its 190 bucks.
    http://www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com/products/prod

or go dig up a profile california 400 watt mono amp -- i think they're like 180 bucks or something at crutchfield.com

as far as cheapy amps go -- i'd rather run a profile than a usacoustics ... not a whole lotta difference to me, but i'm just biased to the profile.
  • rodney
    edited September 2003
    i think im going to go with this kenwood amp

heres a link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048367047&category=39734

wont this one be a good choice?
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    well think about it...for $65 more...youre getting a better built amp with a warranty that puts out more power...(referring to the 250D)
    to me its no contest...the 250D wins hands down
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    well -- kenwood is all fine and good, but for subwoofer useage -- the 250D is much better.

if you have your subs in a common chamber you will not be able to safely use a 2 channel amp in stereo mode unless you have a mono subwoofer output that you're running the amp off of. -- otherwise they wont move necessarily completely in sync.

i dunno dude -- whatever floats your boat.