tiny hole in sr66500

dischris
dischris Posts: 7
edited September 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
hi

i just put a tiny hole inthe sr6500 speaker. it is near the screw in plug, think it is called the phase plug, not sure. i tested it with the other 6500 speaker. honestly i cant tell any difference. played it loud. it is a tiny hole may the size of a pen ball point or smaller. should i worry about replacing it or fill the hole with something. i cant hear any distortion or difference to be honest. any input would be great.

thanks
Post edited by dischris on

Comments

• JBD99ERIDE
    JBD99ERIDE Posts: 38
    edited September 2011
    I would be more worried about if the voice coil got damaged/deformed from the hit. To answer the actual question, no, a tiny hole in the cone wont really affect anything. From your descriptioh the hole doesn't seem anywhere near large enough to bother the rigidity of the cone either. Can you post a pic for more detail?
    Justin Dorsey
    www.Soundscapemd.com
    (we were the first polkaudio dealer ever:eek:)
    C400.4-modded/C500.1
  • dischris
    edited September 2011
    hi, let me find my camera and will take a pic, thanks
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2011
    It wont hurt anything now but it could get bigger over time as the flexing of the cone could work it out. Kinda like a crack in your windshield.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JBD99ERIDE
    edited September 2011
    Agreed, especially with the poly material these cones are made of. They are pretty flexible but will still crack. There will be less of a chance of it spreading if it is a true puncture (no real uneven edges) as opposed to if say a knife point went though it and it has an actual slit. Def want to see pics, and can recommend something, been repairing speakers for +\- 13 years. If it were a paper cone, that'd be easy.
    Justin Dorsey
    www.Soundscapemd.com
    C400.4-modded/C500.1
  • dischris
    edited September 2011
    i am looking for a battery for my camera, should have it posted within 12-24hrs. thanks
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited September 2011
    Just cut a piece of electrical tape, sans greasy fingers, and cover it up. No, it won't be pretty but it will work. You could also use Epoxy but I'd be afraid of overdoing it or it getting worse due to media conflict. Just try the tape method, support it on the backside when you do and really try and get a nice clean, cut of tape. Even fingerprint markings will have an effect so use rubber gloves if you have to...actually just use one hand gloved.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited September 2011
    JBD99ERIDE wrote: »
    Agreed, especially with the poly material these cones are made of. They are pretty flexible but will still crack. There will be less of a chance of it spreading if it is a true puncture (no real uneven edges) as opposed to if say a knife point went though it and it has an actual slit. Def want to see pics, and can recommend something, been repairing speakers for +\- 13 years. If it were a paper cone, that'd be easy.

It's an SR6500, Aerated Polyproplyene, not paper.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • JBD99ERIDE
    edited September 2011
    dorokusai wrote: »
    It's an SR6500, Aerated Polyproplyene, not paper.

Yep, was saying "if" it were paper instead of poly...

The tape idea will most certainly work and if the hole is as small as stated, a perfectly fine solution. I wouldn't use electrical tape but that is my opinion, only because the glue becomes very sticky/gooey over time, especially with heat. Of course that maybe true with any tape but especially electrical, and duct, for that matter. If you use tape I would use a thick packing tape like 3M. Again, my opinion. "Aileen's tacky glue" (available at most craft stores) works well also.
    Justin Dorsey
    www.Soundscapemd.com
    C400.4-modded/C500.1