Mike Portnoy sues Dream Theater

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited September 2011 in Music & Movies
So Dream Theater puts out their newest album on the 13th without Portnoy so he sues them! He's claiming they wrongfully kicked him out and are now in the wrong for putting out Dream Theater music without him. Apparently he's been taking lessons from Monster Cable and Steve Jobs.

I'm pretty disappointed with this and it makes Mike look extremely petty. Apparently there was a big blow up on his forum and then he made a post on Facebook telling everybody to chill out. A lot of people, me included, commented that it was ridiculous for him to sue DT for some frivolous reason as this. He responded telling everybody to "take their poison elsewhere". For some reason that pissed me off. This drops him down quite a few notches for me as I've been a rabid fan of the guy since 1991.

Kinda sad I think. On the plus side, their new album sounds much better now that Portnoy isn't producing them and trying to sing on them.

www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=163477
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I had a feeling something like this would happen. Screw him. I agree with the original poster. I have been a fan of his for 20 years. For him to do something like this after wanting to put the band on hold for a few years really pisses me off.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Guys lets wait for all the fact to come out before we nail him to the cross...jeezus.

It's weak regardless, but I'd like to get all the facts before I crucify the man. You guys are drawing conclusions without having all the information...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Now he's claiming he's not suing DT.

www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_is_not_sueing_dream_theater.html

He says its DT's fault this got started because they insisted on using lawyers.

The thing I don't understand is why it took him 2 days to say this. He was on his forum and Facebook yesterday bitching about people thinking this was weak but never said it wasn't true.

He does admit the court papers were filed but said his lawyers did it back in April because DT was being unreasonable or something.

Either way, it still leaves him looking bad in all this, at least to me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D