I am Worried... Posiable to blow sub in RTI 100?

Options
blkmax98c
blkmax98c Posts: 26
edited September 2003 in Speakers
Hey guys:

i need to tap into your vast knowledge of audio. i am just a newbie compared to you guys, and i need some help. i bought the polk rti-100's a few months back, and i really enjoy them. but my only gripe with them is that i am a bass man, and i was not getting all the bass i wanted. so my brother gave me sub in trade for my old speakers. so i hooked it up, and bought a very nice sub-cable ($70) and i now more happy with the setup. i have more of the bass i want, but now i have a problem.

now that i have all this bass comming from my seperate sub, i can not hear the bass comming from my polk speakers, and i am worried i may blow them if i put them too loud. when i didn't have my extra sub, i could hear when i was putting too much to the speakers, and i could adjust accordingly. so what should i do? so i just turn off the subs build into my speakers altogether? help!
2003 51 Inch Hitachi Tv
Polk RTI 100 Fronts
Bose Surrounds
Dcm Center
Klh 10 inch Sub
kenwood VR-307 reciever
Sony progessive scan dvd play W/Componet cables
And Wire loom to make things look nice! :)
Click on links to see pics!
245554_87_full.jpg

245554_84_full.jpg
245554_86_full.jpg
Post edited by blkmax98c on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I am not sure whether I qualify under the vast knowledge criteria, but WTH...

A few questions first:
    What's the power rating of your amp/ receiver?
    What sub?
    Did you wire your mains through the sub?
    If yes, what is the sub's filter point setting?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    He bought a 'very nice $70 sub cable'.

I think a speaker level connection through the stand alone sub can be ruled out.

Jumpers on the 100's in place? Set to large? Possible phasing issues with the 'new' sub?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Good point Russ... missed the cable comment. That should rule out the speaker level question.

The "what sub" question is still valid.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • blkmax98c
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Wow, surprized i got this many reply's... but i will do my best to answer your questions.

The sub i have is is pretty crappy in general... i wish i had the money to buy a nice velodyne, but untill my job kicks in, i am stuck with what i have. :( it is a KLH 10' sub. it actully handles low volumes very well, and it sounds decent, but once an explosion hits, or a low bass note, i find myself either lowering the volume, or jumping to the gain. it has a freq. of 40-180hz. but i am not really to sure where to set it, but i usally leave it at 120hz.

By jumpers i assume you mean the gold connectors on the back of the speaker. but if that is the case, then yes they are hooked up.

set to large? by this if you mean through my receiver, they are set at "normal" instead of "large".

i have no idea about the word phasing in referance to speakers.

The power rating of my receiver is 100w x 5. it is approx. 4 years old. :( your going to laugh, but it is a kenwood Vr-307. i know, i know, it is crap. my plan was to upgrade to the onkyo 701 soon, but once again i have to wait untill my job kicks in. then i could get the true sound i want... as of right now it seems like i do not even have rear spearkers. :(

thanks for all the help. it is appreciated. :)

Chris
    2003 51 Inch Hitachi Tv
    Polk RTI 100 Fronts
    Bose Surrounds
    Dcm Center
    Klh 10 inch Sub
    kenwood VR-307 reciever
    245554_87_full.jpg

245554_84_full.jpg
    245554_86_full.jpg
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    bm98,

Don't belittle your stuff... that's our job... ;) Seriously, we all started somewhere and many with a lot less than what you are running.

OK with the blanks filled here it goes.

Your "normal" setting is essentially the "large" as Russ mentioned, so your 100's are getting the full range signal and the subs are playing.

Since you hear bass, but just are not able to identify your 100's sub's as source, then cancellation due to phasing should not be in play. You sub is simply overpowering your 100's. It may be running a bit "hot" or may just be a better/ stronger source. The 100's amps are only 40 Watt.

You can get a calibration disc (Avia or S&V) and a RS analog SPL meter and calibrate your system. Both tools are a good investment at about $20 and $35 respectively.

Back to your original question, can the 100's subs be hurt? I'd say yes, if you're not careful. Since you've heard them distressed in the past, and now you can't hear them... only logical conclusion.

Suggestions to safeguard your 100's subs (in no particular order):
    Unplug the 100's and see if the sound is acceptable.
    Or
    Set the receiver's speaker settings to "small" and the sub's setting to maximum. If your receiver's crossover point is adjustable, play with the setting in the 60 to 100 Hz range. The higher you set this point the less for your 100's subs to do since they work in the 40 to 90 range.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'll take a stab at this one.

If you turn it up loud enough you will hear distortion/clipping from the tweeters and that should tell you to turn it down. As a matter of fact, if you turn it up past 12 noon, it's going to distort.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• blkmax98c
    edited September 2003
    Options
    My reciever does not a dail like that, it wil just spin and spin, and you just look at the lcd to see what volume you are at. :(
    2003 51 Inch Hitachi Tv
    Polk RTI 100 Fronts
    Bose Surrounds
    Dcm Center
    Klh 10 inch Sub
    kenwood VR-307 reciever
    245554_87_full.jpg

245554_84_full.jpg
    245554_86_full.jpg
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2003
    Options
    with the RTi100's i would turn up the sub volume on the rear of the speaker to about half way or more. does this help any? the 100's put out some pretty decent bass, i know.

Are they set to large or small on your receiver? if set to small.. that will direct the bass to your seperate subwoofer. if set to large the rt100's and the subwoofer will share the bass. The RT100's are good enough speakers to be set to large.

try this. turn off your sub. then run your rt1oo's on large, then small.. still with the KLH subwoofer turned off.. do you notice any difference in the subwoofer volume you get from your RT100's?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • blkmax98c
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Ok, Well i conducted many series of tests. i took me alittle over a half hour, but here are my results:

IN SETERO MODE:

FRT SIZE: normal
    CENTER: noraml (does not matter in setero)
    REAR: normal (does not matter in setero)

RESULT: Subwoofer (KLH) is working and sounds good, better deeper bass.

FRT SIZE: Large
    CENTER: normal
    REAR: normal

RESULT: Subwoofer (KLH) is not working, overall bass is lacking when more then 5 feet away from front speakers. when within 5 feet bass sounds good, but i do not sit that close.

PROLOGIC MODE (5.1)

FRT SIZE: Large
    CENTER: large
    REAR: large

RESULT: front speakers barely on, no bass, hardly hear voices. all sound is comming out of the center ch. sub (klh) is not working.

FRT SIZE: normal
    CENTER: could not select
    REAR: could not select

RESULT: fronts barely on again, sub (klh) is on, and sounds good, but way overpowering. all sound comming from center.

well i hope all this helps. i am just very dissapointed because i never had a problem like this before with my old speakers. now with the new ones, i do not even like watching movies in 5.1 because everything sounds so much clearer and just overall better in stereo. but i miss the surround sound. :( maybe it is my reciever???

Chris
    2003 51 Inch Hitachi Tv
    Polk RTI 100 Fronts
    Bose Surrounds
    Dcm Center
    Klh 10 inch Sub
    kenwood VR-307 reciever
    245554_87_full.jpg

245554_84_full.jpg
    245554_86_full.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,056
    edited September 2003
    Options
    On the sub setup, does it have Sub : On, OFF, Plus? In large, it must be on plus, not on.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    All speakers set to 0db to start?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • blkmax98c
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I only have two options for my sun, and that is yes/no. (it asks me if i have a sub. and then i have a sub volume that goes from
    -10 through +10. all my speakers are set to +10 except the center chanel. the reason for doing this is because it makes my receiver sound louder, and i do not have to crank it up all the way to get loud music.
    2003 51 Inch Hitachi Tv
    Polk RTI 100 Fronts
    Bose Surrounds
    Dcm Center
    Klh 10 inch Sub
    kenwood VR-307 reciever
    245554_87_full.jpg

245554_84_full.jpg
    245554_86_full.jpg
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Options
    forget the volume number, makes no difference when calibrated correctly.. set them to 0 as Russ stated to start off, the volume will have to be higher to get the same volume but that makes no difference when all speakers are at the same level.. when i started out, i to set everything full/+12 now i have center 0 / L1
    R1 and so on, and it sounds great!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    While I agree with the reset to zero (as said, you are really not cheating more power out of your receiver), with all at +10 the center channel is clearly way out of balance based on bm98's report.

bm98,
    I'd say your Polk are simply less sensitive than your old mains and your BIC center. Your old mains' sensitivity was probably similar to the BIC center.

With all still at +10, start easing off the center channel's boost until it blends better with your mains. You may want to increase the master volume gradually as you back off the center's setting, just to bring all to a moderate volume level.

The above is best done with a calibration disc and SPL meter, but you can approximate "by ear".

I'd do all the above with your sub off, and then blend it back in by ear as well.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli