Giving props to CC for some killer deals!

Options
Terrax
Terrax Posts: 483
edited September 2003 in Speakers
I just wanted to give an acknowledgement and many thanks to Circuit City for some outstanding deals of Polk Audio speakers. In the past I only went to CC mainly to pick up a CD or just look around, as they don't really carry many products I would want to spend my hard earned cash on, and Polk speakers I was never really fond of in the past ether, till I took a chance and really listened to the line of RTi's that are currently being discontinued. And boy am I glad I did because I am now sitting here listening to music and movies like never before. For the past 10 years I have enjoyed Boston Acoustics and Klipsh to their fullest. With what I'm hearing now though, forget Boston, and goodbye Klipsh. Hello Polkville!;) Anyway, back to my story, for a week now now, I have spent untold hour on the phone to any and all CC's within 150 miles of where I live, I have burnt I can't tell you how much gas going here and there to round up some killer bargins. Has it been worth? Oh hell yeah! In the money I have saved, in the quality and quanity of what I have now, in the joy mine ears now hear. Here is what I have figured to have saved money wise off of full retail price.

RTi150's - Full Retail = 889.95 ea. Price paid = 245.09 ea. x 2
RTi38's - Full Retail = 224.95 ea. Price paid = 61.74 ea. x 4
CSi40 - Full Retail = 479.95. Price paid = 269.99.
Total Retail = 3159.65, With 7 percent tax = 3380.83
Total I paid = 1007.13, With 7 percent tax = 1077.63
Total Saved 2152.52

Just wanted to share my little adventure with you all, and to say Thanks to Circuit City for my having a chance at one of those killer deals that only seem to come around very rarely.

Terry
Post edited by Terrax on

Comments

• Terrax
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Oh....... and BTW, to any of you RTi150 naysayers, and "my 70's and better than your 150's", ;) I got three things to say, 1) You may not have them positioned right, or 2) setup right in your receiver or prepro, and 3) No, it does not take some super-duper pooper-scooper to power these brutes. The reason I say this is, when I first set them up, and postioned them, they didn't really do much for me, but after spending about 15 hours working with them in every conceiveable fashion, I have finally got them to walk the dog. And, Yes, with a lowly ole Panasonic SAHE-200K. They are pumping out more bass than my Velo CHT-10 did! (ok, it's not a SVS, but hey, it is a nice sub) And with much, much tigher bass I might add. Imaging is 3-dimensional with height and depth, the soundstage is very accurate and alive. When I close my eyes there is no localization of left or right speaker, are they perfect? surely not. Can I fine tune them more? Sure. Would a killer power source improve things? Hell yeah! But, with my findings, (with the equipment I have) could I ever think the 70's with or without a sub could ever really top the 150's? Um........ No! For those who have'em, work with them alot, tweak'em, fine tune their position, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. And for those without them......um... sorry. (This was meant in a lighthearted rebuttal.)

Terry:D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Going by store value, not what you paid....

I'll put my RT35i/RTi70 combo (900) to your RTi150 (1,500) anyday of the week... ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited September 2003
    Options
    For real though. The RTi150 does something for you. That is great, it does squat for me...is that so wrong?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Terrax
    edited September 2003
    Options
    hehe, swing by the house Sid, in 10 mins, I've have you converted bro.:D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Terrax,

Truth be known I'm sure the credit goes back to Polk. With the new line coming I'm sure they are offering maga incentives to CC, Fry, etc. to move out the old...

Need some of our old CC employees like GuitarHead CA to confirm this...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Terrax, congrats. Boston and Klipsch both make some top notch speakers, so for you to praise Polk over them truly is a huge compliment. Matthew himself should be proud.
    Just ignore Sidney with his 70s and 1 (not 2) 35 stacked combo topping the 150s. Get him over to your house since he is apparently so close to you and educate the young lad once and for all.
    You are correct about the 150s to a certian extent. They are relatively efficient to drive, as my 3802 made them sound very, very good, but next on your list, find you a truly high power amp or amps to hit them with and you will hear the difference. You might actually be suprised at just what they are capable of with enough power. It's a whole new world entirely, so if you think they are good now, just wait!
    I wonder how much I saved. My 4 150s were in effect about $186.00 each. I was told by someone who I trust that works at CC that their wholesale cost was $388, or something like that apiece.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Cool! I'm glad someone is digging the 150's

Personally, I don't think that they have really been given a fair shake.

For a long time on the forum, we would say, 'hey, wouldn't it be cool for Polk to build a BIG 3-way speaker etc etc etc.' and lo and behold they delivered. I think for those who are judging them by a demo in CC are NOT giving them a fair shake. Set 'em up properly, feed 'em some REAL power and THEN see what you think.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Troy, that is the worst thing about CC, their piss poor "sound rooms". You just can't get a good audition in there. Hell, I couldn't even tell just exactly how they even had some of the equipment set up. There's just no telling. I think the best thing is to get whatever you're interested in actually in your home set up by you on your equipment. Then, if you don't like it, they always have a very generous return policy.
  • Terrax
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Tour2ma,
    Truth be known I'm sure the credit goes back to Polk. With the new line coming I'm sure they are offering maga incentives to CC, Fry, etc. to move out the old...

I agree 100 percent with you on this, but in the end, not every CC sells at the same price, so, as a result it seems to be left up to indivdual store managers to set price's, at least from what I have found. But yes, my thanks, also goes to Polk as well, not only on price, but for providing us with an exceptional product at a price point a working stiff can afford.:)

Big,
    but next on your list, find you a truly high power amp or amps to hit them with and you will hear the difference. You might actually be suprised at just what they are capable of with enough power.

I concur, as I already stated, what I think some people are missing is that with the proper setup, these beasts don't have to have gobs of power to sound utterly fantastic. 1) I tried running them with my sub turned off in BM on my receiver, but still hooked up with the sub cable and sub left on, and the 150's set to large, but they just wouldn't respond well. Then yes I took the Velo CHT-10 back to CC, and got the rest of my list of Polk's, when I got back home, rearranged everything, fiddled, and tweaked for hours with placement, settings, wireing, you name it, I did it, hehe. Anyway, I didn't have the sub hooked up, and the of course the sub cable was disconnected, when I turned the system on, (with Nelly in the CD player) I cranked them up alittle at a time, I was floored by what I was hearing........ I was like OMG....... WTF happened here...... my wife comes in and says, "I thought you took the sub back", I said I did.......MMMMUUUUAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAA. (insert evil laugh here)
    Long story short.... Setup and placement is everything with these monsters. Nuff Said!:D