MM6501 and mm461p, which amp is right for these?

phil65
phil65 Posts: 24
edited September 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Names Phil, im new here, and trying to put together the best sounding system for my truck (02 sierra ext cab) that I can afford. Pretty much have the speakers picked after installing mm's in a boat :biggrin:. However I have no clue what the constant output of the amp for my truck should be since the 6501's are 125w rms and the 461's are 50w rms. The 660.4 puts out 75xchannel at 4 ohms and 85xchannel at 2ohms, so maybe 80 per channel at the speakers 2.7 ohms (is that how that works?) would that be a good pick? Also what would be a good tweeter mounting location higher than the stock front mount location (lower door panel). Can't wait to get rid of the crap stock system!
Post edited by phil65 on

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited September 2011
    Give your front components all the wattage they can handle and since u're going to use 4 channel amp just turn the gains down on "rear outputs" of that same amp so your 461's get less power then 6501.... that's not exactly HOW it works but for the sake of simple explanation it'll do :)

I'm assuming no sub?
    You might also try that same setup with out any speakers in the back (except for a subwoofer if you're getting one). Not going to be as loud but will be better sound quality wise.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited September 2011
    Can you post a pic of what your stock tweeter location looks like? Many people like the sound of tweeters moved up to the A Pillar or dash. I prefer the sound of tweeters mounted low and angled up. If the stock location has your near tweeter almost completely off axis then that side will sound bad most likely.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2011
    pentoncm wrote: »
    Can you post a pic of what your stock tweeter location looks like? Many people like the sound of tweeters moved up to the A Pillar or dash. I prefer the sound of tweeters mounted low and angled up. If the stock location has your near tweeter almost completely off axis then that side will sound bad most likely.

If you don't have a lot of processing from your hu or a processor, it is definitely better to mount the tweets at dash level or higher eg a pillars. This will give you a better balanced axis response from the tweets and better stage height. Cross fire them with the far one aimed at your headrest and vice versa.

Even with a ton of processing, while you may be able to correct the L/R balance to an extent, you'd still have all the frequencies that give height from lower down. Angling them upwards is a band aid, while it may give you a decent centre height, the ends of the stage will pull downwards. Rainbow effect. No amount of dsp is going to solve that.
  • arun1963
    edited September 2011
    Hi Phil and welcome to CP

You really don't need to run a second pair of speakers. The MM components are enough. You may want to consider adding a sub. Just to fill in the lower end, stuff that the MM mid would not catch.

What hu are you going to run this off? The 75 watts would do fine, although I would look at somewhere around 100 watts per channel. Better dynamics and more headroom, not louder :smile:.

If you do add a sub, you can run the components off 2 channels and bridge the other two to run the sub. Tweeters higher up and angled as mentioned in the earlier post.
  • phil65
    edited September 2011
    No sub for the moment, the stock speakers are pretty worn out and sound like dogs*$# so im replacing them and the head first and adding an amp.
    the speaker cover is the screen that slopes from the bottom left to the mid right on the front part of the door, the 6 1/2's are mounted at the bottom tweeters are mounted in the top, im not sure if the tweeters are angled or not but i dont feel much like taking my door apart just to see. Id like to keep the back speakers for a little bit clearer sound in the back seat at lower volumes for my passengers. Im looking at three head units right now, the pioneer deh-4200ub, the clarion cx501, and the clarion cz501. All have 6 channel 4volt preamp outputs and are 50x4 watts max.
  • phil65
    edited September 2011
    Also id like to go somewhere around 100-125 watts per channel from the amp. From polk im now considering the pa 4000.4 and the 500.4 any suggestions from any other brands? Kenwood ect?
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,320
    edited September 2011
    phil65 wrote: »
    Also id like to go somewhere around 100-125 watts per channel from the amp. From polk im now considering the pa 4000.4 and the 500.4 any suggestions from any other brands? Kenwood ect?
    I like the Kenwood XR series. They are class-D amps, so they are very small and very easy to hide. They are also built very well, and are quite weighty for their size. I personally have the 5-channel XR-5S in my CR-V and I am very happy with it.
  • arun1963
    edited September 2011
    If the 6.5 mids fit there that's fine. I would definitely move the tweeters higher though. Clarion, Alpine, Pio, Kenwood all make decent stuff. I would stretch a bit here and go with one that has like a 5-7 band eq and time alignment. It would help you dial in better sound.

But if you want a more plug and play, decent sounding setup then I would take one of the clarions over the pio. The Clarions give you some control over bass/mid/treble. Depends on how much you want to spend here.

100-125 will be good and I would take the 4000.4 over the 660.4 or the pa 500.4. More power from the 4000.4 than either and smaller size than the 500.4.
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited September 2011
    I agree with Arun that having tweeters down low has its downfalls but tweeters up high have some issues as well. In the end it comes down to personal preference. Do you care if you hear music coming from the top of the dash and down low at the same time? With some TA and eq in my car, the height of my stage is at the side mirrors which is right about ear level so I am perfectly happy. I have not had the opportunity to hear a car with A pillar tweets and a signal processor but I have heard tweeters up high with a a basic headunit and I don't like the sound. I would recommend before you do anything, try to hear a car that has A pilllar tweeters to see how it sounds.

The sound of low mounted tweeters changes a lot depending on how you are sitting. For instance if you sit straight up and close to the wheel no tweeter position will sound good. I make sure to have my seat as far back as I am comfortable and recline some. This widens the stage and I don't notice a rainbow effect.

Headunit wise, it is really worth it to get something with TA and a decent equalizer.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • phil65
    edited September 2011
    How about boss audio amps? Ive used some of their guitar switchboards and they are top of the line, are their amps as good as their guitar stuff? Just trying to get a few more options, also considering two seperate 2 channel amps, one front and one back, will that degrade sound any?
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited September 2011
    Avoid boss at any cost, its garbage.
    And while 2 2channel amps will not hurt in your case 4channel would be the way to go imo.
    That is if u're sticking to front & rear speakers no sub plan that is.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • phil65
    edited September 2011
    yeah, I just noticed that boss audio and bossus are two different companies, obviously on completley different sides of the quality spectrum. The reason for having two seperate amps would be easy routing of the front speaker wires and then I can match watts rms better for both sets of speakers, I think ill probably just go with a 4 channel though. The subwoofer is going to be next summers project, this is my winter project.