New install......

Emerald
Emerald Posts: 42
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well its about 7:30 am and Im up thinking about getting started on my new install :)

(4) mm104's / (1) MM6 Component System / (1) MMC525

Now Im after amp suggestions. I was using Alpine V12's in my previous install, but would like to go in another direction.....

Your thoughts?
[Lexus SC400T][Lexus SC300][850BMW][S13 Silvia][S13 180sx]
[ DriftGirl.org ]B][COLOR=Red]POLK[/COLOR] AUDIO[/B[MsEmerald.com]
Post edited by Emerald on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    heck if you can spend a grand personally i'd hook them up to a usamps 2000x, 2000wx1 @4 ohms, i think they're single 4ohm subs so you'd pair off the subs and bridge them together in parallel then bridge the pairs in series to give you a 4ohm load to the amp, i'd be just what specifications call for and i'd expect that the amp would probably perform above specs, on top of that you'd be running a 4ohms so you wouldn't have to sacrifice soundquality for power, this amp can be had for about a grand from www.speedsound.com however if a grand is a bit pricy for you let us know your budget and we can give a better suggestion
    as far as amps for the fronts and rears i like soundstream, they are great quality, also usamps has some sweet tube amps, one is 150x2 and the other is 75x4 that and you'd get the satisfaction of telling people that you have tube amps ;D those run 480 for the 2ch and 470 for the 4ch also at speedsound. the mainpages for these 2 brands of amps are www.usamps.com and www.soundstream.com look around and see what you think ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    in addition to the above...

if your'e having trouble keeping the current up -- dont go w/ tubes, and pick a class D for the subs... preferably two 2 ohm stable models as i dont know of any really nice 2000+ watt 1 ohm stable ones...

might wanna look at zapco c2k 6.0 as well -- not the 9.0 but rather the 6. you'll get specs similar to (actually better than most) nice 2 channel AB's with the lower current draw of the D.

zapco also makes a 100 x 4 @ 4 ohm --- i think its a C2k4.0 or some **** like that... its about 1,000 bucks... same goes for the 6.0 (of whichyou would need 2) -- so 3 grand on amps is a lotta cash, but honestly i think it would be worth it. --- that is if you h ave a money tree.

new orion gear is not too expensive and is fairly well rated for midgrade stuff. beware the class D's -- i've yet to get numbers on them and fear them as bad as Viper. so do your homework before jumping on one of them.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Emerald
    edited September 2003
    Thanks for the replies!!

I havent set a budget for this part of the car yet. ..sooo much money spent over the last few months :(

I was looking at:
    1) POLK D-Class C500.1 Monoblock's (2) and a C300.2 ..But they are not available yet :(

2) The T03 from TRU ( I had to send a request for a dealer in my area)

3)The ZAPCO and US AMP are looking pretty good too!!

PoweredByDodge: I agree w/you......I think the D-class would work best for what Im trying to do.
  • Emerald
    edited September 2003
    Already finished up the interior..a few 'mess-ups' here n there but overall it came out fine. :D

Today I rewired the trunk and mounted the subs :)

Just have to add the cosmetic touches and Im done for this stage of the install....

I ended up using the V12 Alpines ( MRV 1507 on subs)that I already had for now, but will be ordering new amps sometime within the next 2 weeks or so.

Sub review:

I had a chance to play a few tracks and was surprised how solid it felt considering Im seriously underpowered R'now.

The only setback that I had was that I didnt have the proper sized torx bit for the supplied screws :p (very nice BTW)

Should be done first thing in the mornin'

Ill post more results

Have a nice weekend!!!

- DriftGirl -
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited September 2003
    I've owned that amp before, big **** amp. Great SQ. Should be an nice amp to break those subs in on. Like you said, with that amp you'll be underpowering each sub by about 150 watts, so be a little careful. :)

If you like your Alpine amp... which I happen to... you could do two of the new MRD-1000's(whatever the model number is...the 1000 watt mono). You could be sure you'd get good sound quality out of that. Haven't looked into the prices on those amps, but I'm sure they're expensive too. Doubt you'll pay as much as you would for the Zapco's.

Pair of Crossfire 1000D's. Can probably find a pair of those amps for around $1k. Will get you a little over 2000 watts total.

Just a couple D class suggestions... but I'd have to agree with MTX, if you wanna spend a grand, you'd be very happy with the 2000x.

Chris
    "The Big C"
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    definately if you're gonna spend a grand the 2000x is the way to go i mean it's 2000x1 @4ohms for pete's sake. most amps that can put out 2000w are at 1ohm and that's probably a peak rating but with the 2000x it's at 4 ohm for mad SQ and you're getting 2000w rms for some crazy power. you'd probably cream yourself once you heard the system off of that amp ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    well i'm no fan of catchfire, but if u want crossfire, u can get the VR 2000D or whatever its called for about 500 used on ebay in good shape - or 750 new.

shopped one a bit ago.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Emerald
    edited December 2003
    Well I've been having a bit of 'Drama' with my car.....actually a lot!!

Someone took my car out for a joyride a few times and sucked a few valves thru :(
    I didnt know the damage was that bad back then

Put a MAJOR hold on getting the install done. :(

So far, This is what Ive done: 5.jpg
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    holy **** that looks cool!
    what amps are you using?
    -Cody
  • Emerald
    edited December 2003
    Thank you :)

I was in the middle of 'amp shopping' when I found out that I needed a new engine, so I backed off of spending for a bit.

I'll be using POLK Amps within a month or 2 after I pick those up It's ready to be all 'glassed' in :p

R'now im using 2 Alpine V12's on the subs :(
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    ahhh...i see, what kind of car do you have?
    those alpine amps arent too shabby either...
    -Cody
  • geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited December 2003
    That install looks truly killer.
    Did you do the carbon fiber work yourself?

The Alpine V12 amps have been great...
    I had two 1st gen units that served me well for about 8 years, finally sold them...
    I just traded a Cadence Z7000 to a buddy of mine on the west coast, in trade for an Alpine MRV-1507. It's one beastly amp.

Mine's going to be used for full-range duties, another all-passive install (last one I did was in the late 90's! :p)...
    Powering what will be an Aura line-array curved across each door, suspended over a midbass driver, and I haven't decided what I'm going to use for subwoofer duty yet... I've got a few things floating around here... Might just put one of my older prototype Better Audio woofers (from a build-house we don't use any more) into full service use again.

How do you like that amp though? I'm personally impressed most that it comes with a true parabolic EQ channel... that's almost preferable to me than a 1/3 octave EQ. ;)
    I haven't even fired mine up yet, but I have high hopes based on my previous experiences. :cool:
  • Emerald
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    ahhh...i see, what kind of car do you have?
    those alpine amps arent too shabby either...
    -Cody

Lexus SC400
  • Emerald
    edited December 2003
    geolemon: Thank you :) I like the amps and have no issues with them. I have not played around with their EQs that much.... they'll be gone shortly anyway :D

I do all of my own work (stereo,composite work,paint, etc)
  • MTXMAN
    edited December 2003
    It looks gorgeous Emrald. Very nicely done :D
  • Emerald
    edited December 2003
    Thanks MTXMAN!!!