sub crossover

vlad.k
vlad.k Posts: 12
Hi Everyone,
Recently got a pair of monitor70 's series II , PSW505 and yamaha NS series for center channel. No sorrounds yet.

My pioneer VSX-821-k gives me a few options to manually setup the speakers.
Question : do i set up fronts to small or large ?
and which crossover do i choose for the sub (80,100,150 or 200?)

im running sub with a single cable sub out(vsx-821-k) to LFE in(psw505)

Thanks in advance
Post edited by vlad.k on

Comments

• GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited September 2011
    Fronts to 'small' and start with the xover set to 80 to see how you like it.
  • vlad.k
    edited September 2011
    Thanks GZ,
    If I set fronts to small and sub to 80 (which is what I have now) , does that mean that receiver cutting off all the lows from the speakers and using subwoofer out only for all bass below 80 hz?
    I just feel like I'm not getting enough bass

What do u think?
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited September 2011
    vlad.k wrote: »
    If I set fronts to small and sub to 80 (which is what I have now) , does that mean that receiver cutting off all the lows from the speakers and using subwoofer out only for all bass below 80 hz?
    I just feel like I'm not getting enough bass

What do u think?

Yes, that is what it means. Have you tried setting the 70's to large and comparing the bass output to your current settings? Poor bass output could be due to a number of things beside your crossover setting, such as subwoofer positioning and level adjustments.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • vlad.k
    edited September 2011
    Thank you Tbone,
    Yes,I've tried that too,set fronts to large and sub almost disappears.
    What exactly is level adjustments ?and how it effects sub perfomance?
  • Tbone289
    edited September 2011
    The subwoofer should disappear when fronts are set to large. When the fronts are set to large, all frequencies are sent to the fronts and no frequencies from the front channels are sent to the subwoofer.

What I mean by level is the level (volume) of the subwoofer output. You should be able to boost the level at the receiver, or by using the volume knob on the back of the subwoofer.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2011
    Vlad, speaker level adjustments are just that, with anything below 0 taking volume away, and above 0,adding it. Leave ALL the speaker levels at 0 to start with. Make sure the crossover in the receiver is set to 80, and the one on the back of the sub turned to it's highest value. You may have to boost the subwoofer level by around +3 or 4 as each receiver is slightly different.
    Also you may not get any subwoofer action playing a cd. Thats normal for alot of receivers because there is no .1 in a stereo signal. You could hook up the speakers through the sub, set the menu as "no sub", and use then the crossover on the back of the sub to work around it. Follow me ? Receivers differ on what their abilities are, what they can do, so read the manual cover to cover. You may have an option to do stereo plus a sub,all depends.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vlad.k
    edited September 2011
    Thanks a lot guys ,
    So I need to try a few more different ways to see which one is a better one for me .
    If anyone using pioneer vsx series , please let me know if there's a sub booster. Couldn't find it in the manual.

Thanks again
  • quicksnipe
    quicksnipe Posts: 17
    edited September 2011
    I have your m70s & 505 & a pioneer vsx 1120k I really like the m70s set to small & xO at 50hz with the sub through line level output & it's xO at 50hz in pure direct mode

you could try large but it depends how big your listening area is & of course your preference I have a small listening area & when I set them to large it just doesn't sound right
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited September 2011
    You need to set the the sub to at least 120hz in your avr. If your listening to a sound source that has a .1 in it, the .1 is the LFE track. (low frequency effects) Sound from 0-120 hz is dedicated here. If you have it set to 80hz then you wont here anything from the LFE track between 80hz and 120hz. It will not reroute that sound to your towers. It is a low pass filter not a cross over.

As for listening to a 2.0 sound source that has no LFE sub woofer sound track the avr will route sounds below what the xo point is set for the towers. You can set your towers to full range and then turn on an option called double bass. This will have the full range of soud going to the towers and the low suff to the sub as well.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Tbone289
    edited September 2011
    jbooker82 wrote: »
    You need to set the the sub to at least 120hz in your avr. If your listening to a sound source that has a .1 in it, the .1 is the LFE track. (low frequency effects) Sound from 0-120 hz is dedicated here. If you have it set to 80hz then you wont here anything from the LFE track between 80hz and 120hz. It will not reroute that sound to your towers.

The subject of the thread is the crossover, not the LPF (low pass filter) for LFE. You will be very hard pressed to find information above 80Hz in a modern LFE track. THX standards have pretty much made that a certainty. Considering that, setting the crossover (crossover, not LPF) at 120Hz with a pair of Monitor 70's is ludicrous.
    It is a low pass filter not a cross over.

There is an LFE low-pass filter and a crossover. Don't confuse them. That statement could be very confusing to someone who is new at this, such as the OP. Here, you are talking about the LPF for LFE, not the crossover. The crossover setting is what the OP asked about, not the LPF.
  • vlad.k
    edited September 2011
    Like jbooker82 said " You can set your towers to full range and then turn on an option called double bass. This will have the full range of soud going to the towers and the low suff to the sub as well."
    But I don't think I can adjust bass on my avr while fronts set to large .
    Or there's something I don't know about?
  • quicksnipe
    edited September 2011
    Like jbooker82 said " You can set your towers to full range and then turn on an option called double bass. This will have the full range of soud going to the towers and the low suff to the sub as well."
    But I don't think I can adjust bass on my avr while fronts set to large .
    Or there's something I don't know about?

system settings>manual settings>speaker settings>fronts large> sub plus
  • vlad.k
    edited September 2011
    Thanks quicksnipe
  • vlad.k
    edited September 2011
    Thanks quicksnipe
  • jbooker82
    edited September 2011
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    The subject of the thread is the crossover, not the LPF (low pass filter) for LFE.

Could have fooled me.
    Question :
    and which crossover do i choose for the sub (80,100,150 or 200?)
  • jbooker82
    edited September 2011
    The setting in the avr for the sub is a low pass filter. The setting in the avr for the towers is a crossover.
  • Tbone289
    edited September 2011
    Could have fooled me.

hmmm... Yes, I see what you mean. You are correct, the LPF needs to be set to 120Hz.
  • vlad.k
    edited September 2011
    The setting in the avr for the sub is a low pass filter. The setting in the avr for the towers is a crossover.

so you`re saying that whatever crossover i choose in the crossover network on avr , this ONLY effects fronts ,NOT subwoofer ?
  • quicksnipe
    edited September 2011
    so you`re saying that whatever crossover i choose in the crossover network on avr , this ONLY effects fronts ,NOT subwoofer ?

depends how you hook your sub up.

if you use line level inputs the Low pass filter knob next to your gain knob on your 505 will work & you can control at what frequency your sub will start producing sound

if you use the LFE input your avr controls the xO & your low pass filter knob won't work & your sub will start producing sound below the xO on your avr
  • jbooker82
    edited September 2011
    quicksnipe wrote: »
    depends how you hook your sub up.

if you use line level inputs the Low pass filter knob next to your gain knob on your 505 will work & you can control at what frequency your sub will start producing sound

if you use the LFE input your avr controls the xO & your low pass filter knob won't work & your sub will start producing sound below the xO on your avr

Yep x2.
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2011
    SPAM reported, post 22 - 24!
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)