Sting - Sacred Love - anybody?

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited October 2003 in Music & Movies
Just wondering if anyone else anxiously waiting for this Hybrid SACD album? I went to BB and tried to "bribe" one of the sales guy to see if I can snatch a copy from their stock room (if any). He said nobody will get a copy before 9/30/03...yeah, right!

Knowing Sting and his "awareness" of recording latest and greatest trend, I am willing to bet that this album will sound awesome!

For the preview and video clip, check here:

http://www.sting.com/main.html
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• polkatese
    edited September 2003
    Options
    bump...

I am surprised for not getting a single response on this. Am I the only one who follows Sting in this forum? Just curious...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I've been looking forward to this CD since seeing the video a few weeks ago on VH1. I haven't been too impressed with Sting's work since Brand New Day, but I've got the feeling that this one will be worth picking up.

By the way, I wasn't even aware that there was an SACD version coming out. Do you think any of the larger retailers will be carrying this when it's released? My local Best Buy has a rather crappy SACD/DVD-A section, so I may be forced to purchase online.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    PT - I just havnt had time to check it out, looks real interesting. I am a Sting fan also.

MJ - I am in the same boat with BB, **** selection. Tower Records has a larger one, but still lacking. It makes me angry that we are not supported sometimes...I feel like Atari Pong of audio when it comes to SACD support.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    edited September 2003
    Options
    there, for a day or two, I thought I am the only one here waiting for it...I doubt BB will stock the SACD version initially (I could be wrong) Hopefully Sting put his marketing machine to work to roll them out on the same day. If not, there is always Amazon. One thing for sure, I am going to go with the Hybrid no matter what. I am almost convinced that hybrid layer sounds better than RBCD.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Tower carries all the Police and Sting re-issues.....I am working my way up the list of Police first.

The only RBCD vs SACD battle I own is Police Synchronicity, and the SACD sounds better....obviously? I dunno, it certainly is better in dynamics, and depth. The RBCD I own is MFSL, and it is pretty damn good for RB.

Have you demo'd any MFSL against SACD? What are your thoughts on the MFSL type?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    edited September 2003
    Options
    doro, I haven't compared those two (MFSL vs. SACD) It would be interesting to do so. I would imagine MFSL has better dynamic than regular RBCD.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Yes it does have better range. I consider it RB, due to the fact that it isnt SACD. I will say the MFSL is the best RB recording you could ask for. I will A/B them again, and log some notes, its been awhile.
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'll be picking up the SACD version. Although I find Sting kind of annoying with his perfect-man-PC-tantric-sex-god persona, I do love his music.

His website is taking pre-orders for the SACD hybrid...13.99 plus 5 clams shipping. Kinda steep.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Haven't been too impressed with the little I've heard so far, but will likely be there.

shack will defintiely be in. Big Sting fan revealed in the old "RnR Rem" threads....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    shack will defintiely be in. Big Sting fan revealed in the old "RnR Rem" threads....

Tour, If you recall the last Sting album in my rack was Ten Summoner's Tales (1993). The little I had heard of Brand New Day and All This Time did little to inspire a purchase. Maybe the next time BMG has a $5 w/no S&H sale I might pick these up. That said...Sacred Love will probably be worth a purchase just for the SACD feature.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey, at least I didn't say F1 was the big Sting fan... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    edited September 2003
    Options
    In case anybody looking for SACD version, here is the cheapest I can find:

EDIT: link can't attach to this post, so go to CC online -> popular music -> Dvd-audio/sacd -> Look under "S"

btw, don't think CC store will carry this version, and BB has the regular RBCD at this price ($13.99), so, for a hybrid SACD, CC online is the way to go.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    F1 is a KISS fan ;)

Red Trumpet has pre-order for that one at $16.99 SACD. I hate CC with a passion.
  • polkatese
    edited September 2003
    Options
    uh oh, I placed an order with CC online today, did you have bad experience with them before, doro? CC stores seem the default for cd's for me, their prices are almost always better than BB. But this is the first I am ordering from CC online, so any insight is appreciated.
  • polkatese
    edited September 2003
    Options
    can't resist, picked up RBCD version for $9.99 at BB today, since SACD/Hybrid is still on back order at CC online.

I think this one will take a bit of time to grow on me, so far, here is my initial impressions:

1.Inside - 4:47

2.Send Your Love - 4:38

3.Whenever I Say Your Name - 5:27 Great

4.Dead Man's Rope - 5:43 Good

5.Never Coming Home - 4:59

6.Stolen Car (Take Me Dancing) - 3:58 Great

7.Forget About the Future - 5:12 Good

8.This War - 5:30

9.The Book of My Life - 6:16 Interesting, different, variation of Desert Rose?

10.Sacred Love - 6:03 OK

11.Send Your Love [Dave Aud
  • polkatese
    edited October 2003
    Options
    proved that hybrid will take over RBCD? or Sting's hype?

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11854177

either way, good to hear....
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,
    Just caught part of Sacred Love on HDNet. Good call, the music is fantastic, and the HD quality is excellent!!:cool:
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • polkatese
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Frank, is it on HDNet concert? the DVD should be out next week..I've been listening to RBCD, should get my SACD version next week...
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Frank, is it on HDNet concert?
    I'm relatively new to HDNet, but it looked more like a cut & paste documentry. Both Audio (dd 5.1) and Video were exceptional!
  • polkatese
    edited October 2003
    Options
    CC Online made it thru! I ordered SACD version when it was back ordered. They shipped them on the 10/8 via USPS from FL, and I received it today. I thought that is amazing, 3 days from FL to CA. Great job, USPS!

Frank, it turned out, the hybrid layer SACD is better sounding than its RBCD version. It concludes my experiment on this (i.e. whether it is worth to buy the hybrid SACD version of a given album, strictly from 2 channel perspective) and it does for me. It's a dollar more in this case ($12.99 vs. $13.99, but I get the RBCD during first week of release for $9.99)

Along with this album, the experiment also compared the following RBCD and Hybrid verions of :

Diana Krall - The look of Love
    Al Jarreau - All I got

ps: both the top end and low end of hybrid version are more defined and cleaner.
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sounds like a good bet for me. I'll keep my eyes open for the SACD...Hope I don't get stung.

(get it? Sting....Stung....nevermind)
  • polkatese
    edited October 2003
    Options
    :)
  • Big Dan R
    Big Dan R Posts: 131
    edited October 2003
    Options
    This CD is the best stuff Sting has done in years. I have been bored with his sometimes dull cds for along time but this one does kick.
    BDR