Polk rti10 - To buy or not to buy? Decisions, decisions.

Options
sahmen
sahmen Posts: 39
edited November 2012 in Speakers
I have a little dilemma here. I could purchase a pair of RTi 10s for a good price ($500 pr) to replace my fronts (rt55s) but that may not be necessary as the rti55s are working fine, and always have since I purchased them nearly 10 years ago... The only reason I am considering the rti 10s is the potential for getting better sound that is substantially improved from what I am getting now, which isn't shabby at all, I must say...

I'm powering the rt55s with a Denon 991, and also using the PSW505... I want to know whether upgrading to the rti 10s would represent a substantial enough improvement over the rt55s to warrant the purchase I am considering. It is not possible for me to demo the rti 10s since they're located more than 150 miles away from my present location. If I go ahead with the purchase, I shall also have to pick them up, and that is why I need to decide first even before going to buy them... Any help would be welcome. My surrounds and surround-back sets are also polk audio speakers.
Post edited by sahmen on

Comments

• HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited September 2011
    Options
    $500 for the RTi10's isn't a great price, especially if have to drive almost 2 hours to get them. Your RT55i's are considered by many to be one of Polks best bookshelf speakers. I'd recommend sticking with them and putting that $500 towards a good amplifier.
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • sahmen
    edited September 2011
    Options
    HTGuru1982 & DSkip: I feel like someone who has just saved a bundle, and been spared a rather tedious drive, not to mention some considerable disappointment. Thanks. I'll go right back to enjoying my RT55s
  • Ginn
    Ginn Posts: 46
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Just to let you know Future Shop had a deal on a couple weeks ago with Polk. Buy one get one free on all speakers. My brother in-law and I both picked up a set each for $250 plus tax. The speakers are amazing and well worth the $250. Before I had mine unpacked I sold it to him because I got an unbeatable price on the new RTI A9's.

Haven't even hooked them up yet cause I'm in the process of moving.
    HT - Sony 52" Bravia - Onkyo TX-NR3008 - Emotiva XPA-5
    LSi15 - LSiC - LSifx - PSW505 - Mac Mini

Warehouse Boxed up RTIa9 - CSIa6 - FXI6

Office
    LSI15 - Peachtree Preamp / 220 - iMac

LSi9's sitting around my dad's house
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ginn wrote: »
    Just to let you know Future Shop had a deal on a couple weeks ago with Polk. Buy one get one free on all speakers. My brother in-law and I both picked up a set each for $250 plus tax. The speakers are amazing and well worth the $250. Before I had mine unpacked I sold it to him because I got an unbeatable price on the new RTI A9's.

Haven't even hooked them up yet cause I'm in the process of moving.

250 for a pair of new RTi10s is a steal.....

they do free shipping too
    mole'
  • angelsfann02
    angelsfann02 Posts: 589
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have a pair of rt55's, and I will probably never sell them. I have an Adcom gfa-545 that I got from Mole. They sound frickin awesome. Do yourself a favor and get an amp instead. My 2cents.
    LIVING ROOM:
    Pioneer PDP-6070HD, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD,
    Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva USP-1, Polk LSI15's, Polk LSiC, Velodyne 12", Mirage Nanosat Prestige rears, MIT AVT Speaker Cables, Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects, Panamax M5300pm Surge Protection/ Power Conditioning
    BEDROOM: VIZIO 32" LCD, Pioneer Elite VSX-23txh, Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD, Parasound HCA-2205A, Mirage Nanosat Prestige Speakers 5.1, Mirage S8 Sub, Monoprice cables, APC Surge Protection.
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have a pair of rt55's, and I will probably never sell them. I have an Adcom gfa-545 that I got from Mole. They sound frickin awesome. Do yourself a favor and get an amp instead. My 2cents.

:biggrin:
    mole'
  • sahmen
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I do love the RT55s but if I find the rti10s for $250/pr I will pull the trigger without any hesitation at all. I will not necessarily have to get rid of the Rt55s since I can use them in another capacity. Does anybody know whether Future shop will offer this deal again? And is Future shop only based in Canada (http://www.futureshop.ca) or do they also have American branches... Thanks for all the responses.
  • photocrazy
    photocrazy Posts: 89
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ginn wrote: »
    Before I had mine unpacked I sold it to him because I got an unbeatable price on the new RTI A9's.

Did you get your A9s from futureshop ? I see them always out of stock.
  • Ginn
    Ginn Posts: 46
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I got the last pair in the lower mainland (Vancouver)
    I think the store in Coquitlam has a single left but that is it. Future shop is not going to be bringing them in anymore, the speakers are just to big and apparently people don't buy big speakers anymore. I was looking at getting a set of the rti12's off of ebay from the polk site for $649 but I was able to swing a deal with F.S to get them for $700. One looks like it was hit and there was a scratch on the side. My brother in-law is a furniture refinisher so he patched up the veneer and it looks like new. The benefit of having real wood on your speakers.
    HT - Sony 52" Bravia - Onkyo TX-NR3008 - Emotiva XPA-5
    LSi15 - LSiC - LSifx - PSW505 - Mac Mini

Warehouse Boxed up RTIa9 - CSIa6 - FXI6

Office
    LSI15 - Peachtree Preamp / 220 - iMac

LSi9's sitting around my dad's house
  • sahmen
    edited October 2012
    Options
    These are being currently sold on e-bay by Polk-Direct for $549 a pair. Do you guys think it is worth it? I still have my rt55s, but I could use those as fronts in my bedroom's mini ht. Thanks.
  • vadang
    vadang Posts: 101
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'd say hold off on the RTi10's (even from polk) for 550. You can probably score a pair of RTi12s for that price. Or like others have said, buy an amp.
    Living Room:
    Paradigm Cinema 330 x 3, Pioneer 9040TXH

Media Room:
    RTi12, CSi5, F/Xi3, RTi4, Onkyo SR805, SVS PB12 Plus/2, HSU MBM