Need a new Head Unit

13»

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    edited September 2011
    Well, I have an Alpine 9835 in the house. Found it used on the web. Came with the Ipod adapter box, which seems to work OK. I just hooked it up on the bench and tested the functions. Waiting for some other install parts to come before I get it in my car. Probably next weekend.

I have to say, I'm disappointed in the whole multi color thing that Alpine bragged about for this model. That feature really only affects the 4 main buttons. All the other buttons including the dial backlight are limited to just 2 colors, amber or green. Eh, I'll give it a try. It was a relatively small investment. I might have a revolving door of headunits for awhile until I find one I like.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2011
    Well yes, if you want a hu with tons of flashy lights and other visual bling then I'm sure there are a lot of better options out there :wink:.

On the other hand it gives you 6 preouts at 4 volts, TA for 6 speakers, ability to go active with 2 Way + Sub, 5 band eq.

I'm not sure I understand the 'Alipne bragging about' the colour display bit, but here's what Crutchfield says about the visual display on this unit.
    Alpine's BioLite display, featured on the CDA-9835 CD receiver, spells out the receiver information as plain as day. No distracting flashy colors or hard-to-decipher stick letters, just straight-forward lettering in black and white. MP3 and WMA song titles and XM info have never been easier to read!
    i-Personalize also gives you the ability to change the color of the primary control buttons (to the left of the rotary encoder), selecting from a palette of 512 possible hues!
    Variable Button Color: The button illumination can be adjusted to any of 512 colors. The following color presets are stored in memory: Blue, Green, Amber, and Red. In addition, you can store one custom color under the User's preset. The custom color can be selected by turning the rotary encoder and cycling though all 512 colors.

Again, it depends on what you want. If you want good sound quality in your car, use this hu with a decent pair of speakers+sub and amps. If you just want flashy lights sell this and get a Sony Xplod unit.
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited October 2011
    Sounds like a great unit. They don't make many of them like that any more. How many on the market let you go two way active + sub? Alpine has no single din that will let you do it, the last was 9887 and that is gone. You'd have to the get the Alpine 117/105 + imprint for that. I hate how Pioneer has the p99 for $1200 but nothing for say $500 that has active and good tuning at a more affordable price. Clarion, none. Kenwood, none. Expensive Nav's may have the option but they cost as much as a processor sometimes.

Honestly, there isn't going to be much of a difference between brands or headunits (as long as you don't buy a cheapo brand) if you don't have TA, a good EQ, and good crossover/active support.

If you want some nice lights and good tuning check out http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KDA925B/JVC-Arsenal-KD-A925BT.html?search=JVC&tp=5684.

You have 5 band EQ, no active support but time alignment with good crossover support giving you 12/18/24db octave filters on HPF and Sub LPF. Good bang for the buck. You can always get an amp that lets you go active, you just have to deal with knobs instead of a conveniently picking frequencies digitally.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • billbillw
    edited October 2011
    Who the Eff said anything about flashy? I'm trying to match the lights in my interior, which are a unique pale amber. What I am disappointed in is that it only affects the 4 main buttons, not all of them, which is what the 3rd statement from Crutchfield makes it sound like.

Also, if you look at the original press release for these head units (http://www.alpine-usa.com/company/press/2004/alpine-unveils-new-line-up-of-in-dash-digital-head-units-for-2004/ ), it doesn't say anything about the RGB lighting being limited to only the 4 main buttons. And if you read that press release, it really is bragging. They devote a whole paragraph to it.
    In a design breakthrough, iPersonalize enables drivers to select from 512 color options for the LED illumination, allowing them to match their head unit lighting to the dash or even to their mood. The CDA-9835, CDA-9833 and CDA-9831 receivers can also utilize Alpine's iPersonalize data download service available on www.alpine-usa. com . The iPersonalize service is a sophisticated toolbox of online controls for customizing in-vehicle sound tuning based on the system set up and installation. Digital time correction, digital crossover, digital parametric EQ, and the power-on screen settings can be selected online, burned to a CD-R and then uploaded to the head unit.

Don't make assumptions. You also don't need to tell me the features it has, I researched it for weeks before buying one.
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Well yes, if you want a hu with tons of flashy lights and other visual bling then I'm sure there are a lot of better options out there :wink:.

On the other hand it gives you 6 preouts at 4 volts, TA for 6 speakers, ability to go active with 2 Way + Sub, 5 band eq.

I'm not sure I understand the 'Alipne bragging about' the colour display bit, but here's what Crutchfield says about the visual display on this unit.

Again, it depends on what you want. If you want good sound quality in your car, use this hu with a decent pair of speakers+sub and amps. If you just want flashy lights sell this and get a Sony Xplod unit.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2011
    Oh how dumb of me, you want sq with matching lights :lol: Forgive me for not understanding your multiple needs. Damn the sq is never going to be right now without the matching lights.

Seriously dude lighten up.
  • billbillw
    edited October 2011
    It is possible to have SQ and cosmetics that don't clash. Why do you think they started offering user switchable illumination in the first place? BTW, if SQ wasn't my first priority, I would probably be sticking to the OEM Bose system.
  • billbillw
    edited October 2011
    Well, I certainly am fickle. After playing around with the 9835 for a week (and I purchased a changer, etc to go with it), I decided that I would rather have the Eclipse CD8454 that I originally had my sights set on. Luckily I found one that is essentially new in box along with a new in box changer (from separate sellers)
    CD8454.JPG