crossover points

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got a pair of mm6 components and a pair of mm12s(the higher grade ones)
i was wondering if anyone could help me with what to cross these over at because im very new to all this stuff and frankly very confused
i have 1 amp for my subs and one amp for the components if that makes any difference?
also...when do i use the low pass/high pass filters?
i dont want hardly any bass going to the components...but I do want enough to where everything will blend well...im kind of into home audio...so i know what i like to hear...but home and car is like day and night from what ive been told so i wanted some 2nd opinions
thank you very much
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    my advice has usually been to set your high pass for the fronts at like 100 to start... your low pass to the subs to about 80 or 85 to start...

play with them a little... but i've found those to be good "start here and mess with it till its good" points.

i run my subs at mid 70's / my rears at 70 high / and my fronts at 100 high... but there are other reasons for that.

try it out at 100 front / 85 rear and fiddle with it -- i'm sure u'll find the mix that's right for you -- may take a few days maybe weeks even if you dont spend much time in the car (u never really knwo if its right till u drive for it with a few days and are happy w/ it). but u'll figure it out.

:)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2003
    thank you,
    how do you set your front and rears different?
    or do you have a separate amp for your rears?
    this helps out a lot
    also, what is a subsonic filter?
    is it better on or off?
    thank you kim and power....you were a great help
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    if u were using a ported box (which u aren't with momo subs) then u'd use teh subsonic filter... otherwise -- leave it off.

and yes i have a separate amp for front and rears... however, if u are runnin a single 4 channel u should have a separate gain and separate crossover for the front 2 channels nd the rear two channels... so it would work the same. most all 4 channels on the inside are just two 2 channels with a shared power supply.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    I like to cross mine over at around 85
    when i get another amp im going to cross the fronts over higher
    i really dont know what a subsonic filter does
    ive heard it cuts off the frequencies that the human ear cant hear
    is that right?
    why would you turn it on for ported/leave it off for everything else?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    a subsonic filter -- while intended initially to cut off "what the ear cant hear" isn't doing that anymore...

people are using them higher.

its just a "high pass" crossover at low low levels.

its a high pass xover at 20, 25, 30, 35 or whatever u want in that range - hertz.

the purpose of them in ported boxes is to cut out bass frequencies below the tuning frequency of the port.

if you play music at or below that frequency (i'm not sure which -- "at" might be ok, but below not ok.... or both "at and below" not ok... but u get hte point) -- what happens is it sounds like dog ****, and you get all kinds of wacked out resonance inside the box/port. so the subsonic filter zaps that out -- runs it high passed at the tuning frequency (usually between 25 and as high as 38 i've seen).

i'm no authority on it - i'm sure you could get a better answer from someone else, but that's the cliff notes version.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    oh -- and in a sealed box the reason u dont need it is because as long as you build the box to the correct internal air space, the woofer's characteristics will pretty much "chop off" everything below the woofer's listed resonant frequency (available on spec sheet). again - this is what i've come to understand, but i myself would prefer a more "nuts and bolts" explaination.