Converting VPS Periphonics Rackmount for AV/HT use?

Options
TECHNOKID
TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
edited August 2011 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I do own a VPS Periphonics (32.5" D X 24" W X 53" H) rackmount (http://www.ufoc.com.tw/docfile/VPS-is%20Model_01_VPS-is_01_VPS-isProduct.pdf) I was thinking of using as AV rack for my HT room. I know there are a few people using such, can you provide pros and cons of using such rack for AV usage? For sure NOT as nice of a design as BellO rack but definitely more reliable! ;)

I was originally thinking of removing the metal shell panels and installing nice wood as finish however, I was rethinking and would it be more cost effective to glue wood laminate on the metal (if at all possible) as this would also keep the integrity of the rack (stronger and better isolation (fire, dust etc...)?

Right now, the inside is bare except for a commercial power bar mounted at the bottom rear of the unit (this would more likely be replaced with a half decent quality power conditioner). The rear access door has 2 commercial fans (no filters, has to mod this) and bottom air intake (no fan, just grill and needs filter).

Is this a good or bad idea? Pros and cons? Any tips/idea to make this a killer rackmount (mostly DIY to cut cost as $$$ would be better invest in "accessorying" it.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments! :smile:
TK
DARE TO SOAR:
“Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)