Quick question about turn on thump

C-Man
C-Man Posts: 307
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I called Eclipse technical support and he said the way to get rid of this is a Pulse Timer Relay. I'm just curious if anyone knows what this is. I'm assuming it's something I'd hook inline with the remote, but is it just like a toggle switch to turn on the amps, or is it something that I would just hook up and forget?
"The Big C"
Post edited by C-Man on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    i believe he's talkign about a time delayed relay...

basically you hit the relay with 5 volts hot from the remote on --- then a certain amount of seconds later the relay actually switches on and feeds your amps with turn on voltage.

personally i would not waste my time, energy, or the few bucks it 'd cost to make one, and just go w/ a toggle or a push button.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • C-Man
    edited September 2003
    Yeah, I called my shop and they said they had one. They said they'd give it to me at cost and put it in for me. Hopefully cost isn't the same as the cost of a brick of gold. I won't be buying that thing if it'll break my bank, I'd do a push button. Thanks PBD.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    if u go fishing for 5 or 10 amp relays, u can get them as cheap as a buck or two -- i think its 2 or 3 of them along with a couple little caps and resistors that would build the delay circuit.

if they want more than 10 bucks at cost, u're gettin fooked.

i'm trying to find where the hell that link was,...

acutally can't you just use a capacitor?

one cap and one relay -- cheap, and should work. cost you like 1.50 for a 10 amp SPDT PC board relay (they're like the size of a Jolly Rancher candy, and 10 amps is plenty for a remmy on application for up to like 4 or 5 amlifiers).

so here.. let me draw... *Drawing picture*

the image might have to be clicked on to be seen, or it might just pop up -- i dunno....

but bacially you run the remote line into a capacitor (C1)... and pin 85 of a 10 amp relay.

then you jump pin 86 of the relay to ground.

connect the other end of the cap as to pin 87 of the relay as well as to a large resistor (say 10 or 100k ohm).

ground hte other end of the resistor

run pin 30 of the relay to the amplifier(s) remmy on terminal.

here's what it will do.

when you turn on the head - it will turn on the relay, which will open up the flow to the amplifiers... however no current will flow in that direction until the capacitor is charged. which will take a few seconds... so that's your turn on delay.

when you turn it off, the cap will stay charged, but the relay will click off... which will turn the amps off -- the capacitor will discharge through the resistor so that the next time u turn the head on it will be discharged. -- shouldn't take too long.

NOTE _- my bad -- u will also have to put a resistor in front of the cap to regulate charging. -- if u want i'll run a few simulations and figure it out for you tomorrow.

**** i may build one for myself.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    oh -- and does anybody have a copy of electronics workbench -- i frickin hate Pspice and I despise multisym as well... just want plain EWB but i can't find it anywhere...

christ pspice doesn't even have relays -- u have to load a special package for them adn then it still doesn't even work.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    ... scratch the above it wont work... i musta been stoned that day -- inductors short when charged, caps open up.

so that's a no no.

i kept screwin around with different ones today -- nothin really struck me as "ooh this'l work" -- got two setups to 'sorta' work... but not with any sort of dependability that i'd trust -- how's the pre-fabbed one you got workin out?
  • C-Man
    edited September 2003
    Works great... haven't heard a thump since I put it in about a week ago.

I'm having a new problem though, with the 501s I bought for my girlfriend. I have it bridged at 4 ohm to the pair of IDQ 10's. I have the gain set roughly around 2/3 on both left and right, and the punch bass knob turned up to around half. The problem I'm having is after about 10 minutes of playing it, not even hard, it will get extremely hot and go into thermal protect. I really have no clue why this is happening. There is absolutely no distortion from the subs and it sounds awesome when it's playing. The first night I hooked it up we drove around running the amp fairly hard for about 2 hours straight and it barely got warm. I'm gonna call RF tomorrow and see if they could give me any ideas. What do you think? Oh, she's got a Pioneer DEH-P8400.

Chris
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    ... i hate to say it, but I think its a Rockford.

the company notorious for boiling over does it again.

at least it did it now though - while its still fresh under warranty ... had this happened a year from now or whatever you'd be pissed as all hell.

i'd be demanding a new one -- even if its a minor bug... you just bought the amp, its like a few days old, if they wanna service it u tell em they can shove service up their rear slot port.

its 3 am... and i'm moderately psychotic... almost as crazy as mtxman's ex chicky-von-psycho.
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    pbd, noone is that crazy ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    I've owned 6 rockford amps
    2 for a very short while b/c i sent them back
    but i agree with pbd...its probably the amp...they have a problem with over heating
    send it back
    -Cody