Is 7.1 the new standard?

Options
plem
plem Posts: 30
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Will 7.1(DTS-ES,Dolby surround EX) become more popular and
then we all have to buy another speaker(s)?
I personally think not because most of the movies are 5.1 and most of us already have bought our speakers. Consumers will get upset if they have to upgrade. To make matters worse I heard
10.2 was developed!
Another related question. Has THX recommended that the back surrounds for 7.1 be direct-radiating?
Thanks!
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I don't think anyone will be required to upgrade to 6.1/7.1, because the 6.1 encoding is backward compatible with 5.1. It seems the accepted way to do 6.1 is to use two direct radiating rear centers (hence the 7.1 moniker). I don't know if THX says that or not, but who cares. Except for their cool intros, THX bothers me. Regarding the 10.2 surround system, I believe that was developed by Chesky Records for music surround sound.

Aaron
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Okay, I work for a speaker maker (buy more speakers), but IMO these multi-multi-channel formats are an example of the industry shooting itself in the foot.

How do you sell 6.1 + when most J6P folks have not even gotten a handle on simple basic 5.1? Most people don't know the diff between "pro-logic" and "dolby digital" (heck, the logos look almost the same).

The industry seems hell bent on confusing the consumer. No company is doing anything to educate the consumer on what these formats do, or what you need to take advantage of them. No one is educating the consumer on 5.1, let along 6, 7 and 10.1. Those are just stupid (without the consumer knowledge base). So a few fanatics and tweakazoids (and those install companies that build houses for overpaid sports stars and pop music stars) construct radical home theater systems... That's like four people in the scheme of things. The major purchaser is just now getting a handle on the fact that these annoying discs that are taking up more and more Blockbuster shelves have, what?, MORE than just the movie on them?! Extras? Multi-channel sound? How do I get that with my TV?

The industry is missing a key step: education.

Until then, I'm sticking with my kick ****, better-than-a-movie-theater (and better-than-any-of-my-friends') 5.1 system.

Be that as it may, by all means buy more elaborate electronics that deliver more channels, and then buy more Polk speakers. And go here http://www.dolby.com/ and here http://www.thx.com/ to find out what these guys recommend for J6P's home theater. They're kidding themselves, but please feel free to buy more Polk speakers.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • The Darkhorse
    The Darkhorse Posts: 101
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Heck yea I think 7.1 is next! It shoulda been 7.1 from the start, fits much better that 5.1 (Fits, as in I want speakers all around me not just in front and behind). Now as soon as 6.1 is denounced, destroyed, crushed, whatever, things will be fine.

I don't even get 6.1, what is it, just a mono rear channel between two speakers or what? But I definatly think 7.1 is superior to 5.1 but I also totally agree with Micah that people need to be taught the difference between the many standards these days.

After that, the industry needs to stick to a standard and upgrade progressivly from there. 5.1 to 7.1 not 6.1. But 7.1 needs to be standardized as in PLACEMENT OF THE ADDED TWO SPEAKERS! I've spoken with countless salespeople and each one seems to have a different idea of where the added two speakers should go. Beside you, behind you, a bit up front, a bit behind, next to the rears, and on and on..(my personal favorite is the Yamaha RX-V1 that feeds the two extra channels just 35 watts o' power, then calls them effects channels and tells you to put em' up front.....AHH, ha haha)

Its never gonna work unless its standarized................Two added (fully powered) speakers that go directly beside the listener. Or something like that. Only then will 7.1 DVD's (and such) sound the way thay were "supposed" to on every system.

There that is my annoying rant, I'll go back to complainin' about my car and gettin' yelled at by Micah now :)

The Darkhorse

Denon 4802
    CS400 Center
    RT2000p Fronts
    ML Scripts Sides
    ML Scripts Rears
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Darkhorse, let me try to explain this whole 7.1 business to you. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.

6.1 - simply adds a rear center channel to the 5.1 standard. It is backward compatible with 5.1 decoders meaning that they can decode a 6.1-mixed DVD into 5.1 channels. The 6.1 format is often called 7.1 because the companies will use two rear center speakers instead of one for the channel. Even though there are two speakers, it is still only one channel. It seems that the excepted placement is to have the L & R rear speakers on the sides of the listener and the two rear center speakers behind the listener. I think this placement would work best for large rooms. On smaller rooms you could place all the rear channels behind the listener on the same plane using either one or two rear center speakers.

true 7.1 - doesn't exist

Yamaha 7.1 - this has been around much longer than the 6.1 format. It was never intended to compete in any way with 6.1. It is simply meant to enhance the front stage by adding height and ambiance effects, hence the low power. These speakers are to be placed high above and to the outside of the front L & R speakers. With the new 6.1 format Yamaha is now claiming 8 channels.

I hope this has been helpful....

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I agree with the Darkhorse, if you are going to add channels, it needs to be in pairs.

I also agree with Micah, if the industry focused some resources on education things would be much better off. Hell, it confuses me. A lot of J6P types figure that buying into a format is kind of like buying a new computer, it will be obsolete in 6 months so why bother.

Personally, I am more than satisfied with my 5.1 system. I really have reservations about the cost/benefit aspect of adding additional channels. I would rather expend additional (albeit non-exsistent, at this time) resources on a 2ch He-Man stereo rig.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • The Darkhorse
    edited November 2001
    Options
    If you want to say 7.1 does not exist thats fine, but the only reason is its not being used yet. Give it another few months here. You know, it wasn't all that long ago that 5.1 was a myth as well.

(and just out of curiosity, how then are certain compaines selling (Aaron ain't to bright)"true 7.1" recivers if it does not exist? )
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Damn it, Jim, I see a fight brewing.

I'm putting the kibosh on it now.

Who gives a **** about whether 7.1 is "true" or not? Bottom line is, there's something called "7.1." There. Done. Move on.

I'd love for there to be a more standard line on this stuff. The idea of more front speakers, and more rear speakers, is just wacky. No one -- even sales people, as you note -- has gotten a handle on five speakers and a subwoofer yet. We have to get them over the first hump, and the rest will come naturally.

I think the most realistic way to configure these speakers would be to form a complete circle with the listening position in the center. At the noon position would be your monitor and center channel, at 10 & 2 would be your front stage, at 9 & 3 would be your side surround speakers, and at either 7 & 5 or just 6 would be your dual rear speakers (for the split mono "rear" channel) or your single rear channel speaker. That's SIX POINT ONE (with your sub up front).

But again, we are just getting ahead of ourselves here. J6P needs help with the DVD format on a much more basic level -- people are still hooking their DVD players up directly to their TVs and just watching that way -- and we need to somehow all of us be "emissaries" of multi-channel goodness. The best way, I'm convinced, is to bring friends over and set em down in your home theater and pop in DIE HARD or THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT or even SWORDFISH and BLOW THEM AWAY -- "You mean, I could get this in my house, too? Show me how!"

We are the vanguard. Go in peace.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Options
    how then are certain compaines selling "true 7.1" recivers if it does not exist? )
    Name one.

Aaron
  • The Darkhorse
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Ahh The Long Kiss Goodnight.now there is a great multi-channel movie, however I prefer the Matrix when it comes to showcasing the system, I mean come on theres nothing like hearing Mr. Reaves say "Woah" in full surrond!!!!!!
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Name one.

If anyone even tries to "name one," I'll personally lock this thread down my own bad self.

The pope and the president both say that cloning human embryos even for medical advancement is wrong.

Oh well.

See how cleanly and easily I shift the attention away from the disturbance?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Micah, I don't think you have to worry about anyone naming one, because there isn't one.

Aaron
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    SLAP! :(

Move on.

MC!
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• The Darkhorse
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I will respond with only this:

Why did it take 8 boyscouts to help the old lady across the road?
  • The Darkhorse
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Cause she didn't want to go. AHHhahahahahahaha whoo ooo ooo dang thats a good one ...................................whew, gets me every time.