Polk Ex3500 tweeters...advice please!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I read the reviews on this site of the EX3500's and they say that they don't handle their rated power. I want to know how much power I can put to them with out blowing them. I was thinking about a 40x4 Alpine amp to run the 2 pairs that I have. I do not want to spend an extra $200 for an amp just to have the tweeters blow on me! I would rather sell the tweeters and spend some extra money to get something better. I know this is on the Polk website, but please give me an unbiased opinion. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    i dunno who told you that, but my experience with polk equipment has been that in general you can load well beyond rated rms as long as you do so with care.

rated on those is 60 wrms with a frequency response starting at 4k and going up.

i'll assume you understand the purpose of a tweeter, the necessity for a proper crossover for each set of tweets, and how you dont just place them all around your car like christmas lights... so i'll save you the rant...

but I would say you can most likely safely put an amp that's rated 75 watts or more per channel rms into 4 ohms full bandwidth power on those tweets with the proper xover (the one that came with them).

and that is my honest opinion.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge