Amp for gf's car...

C-Man
C-Man Posts: 307
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
OK, I've posted about this before. I'm giving her my IDQ 10v2 D4's. Two of them. She needs an amp. She would really rather not pay over $300. Just curious... would the Profile CA1200 do OK on those subs? I know it's getting close to the max rating of the subs but I'm not worried about that.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-kbeiPsNRwL5/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=110&I=489CA1200&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

I don't have a lot of experience with these amps and judging by your recommendations... I decided to look into them a little more. Judging by the specs they list on crutchfield, it doesn't look half bad. I don't really wanna get her crap but I know $300 isn't gonna get her top of the line. Lemme know what you think.
"The Big C"
Post edited by C-Man on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2003
    I have an old 400XL California Series and it was powering a pair of old ROUND Kicker Solo-Barics at a 2 ohm load. It put out a good deal of juice and did it relaibly. If the specs match up for the 1200 and it's in your price range, it should work out just fine for sub amp.

Keep in mind though that that amp requires a 100 amp fuse and has 4 25 amp fuses in it. Running that amp at full-tilt on those ID's is going to be one hell of a current draw. You'll want a capacitor or two to stabilize the voltage. It is an AB amp so it will most likely be cleaner than a D class but at an obvious efficiency deficit what with the 100 amp draw and such. Also keep in mind that it's minimum impedance at a bridged state is 4 ohms.

If it fits your needs and budget then I would not hesistate to get it. They work great as sub amps and they have alot of bang for your buck. They aren't anywhere near the level of the higher end equipment that alot of people here talk about but, what do you want for 280 bucks?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    CA1200 is like 900 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged right?

i'd do it.

last time i looked @ that amp it was a bit on the LONG **** side but if u got the room, enjoy.

that'll be plenty of power... for 300 bucks thats a real good choice.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • C-Man
    edited September 2003
    OK, this'll be the last one I promise. I'm looking right now online at a shop here in town and they have the SoundStream Picasso 2.880 amp. It's a two channel 880X1 rms at 4 ohms. They have it for 322.99 with a free amp kit. If I were to buy this amp it would cost almost exactly the same amount as the Profile amp. Picasso is the entry level line from SoundStream, but for my girlfriend it would be pretty good. The only spec I found is .03 THD at 4 ohms.
    Just wondering how you guys would compare this amp to the Profile.
    Thanks again.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    soundstream has been putting out good products for years -- the old mid level rubicons kicked all kinds of ****.

for 320 with the wiring kit -- that's not bad -- and that's retail so it'll be warranty bearing.

long as he gives u a 4 gauge kit and not an 8 guage, i'd do it.
  • C-Man
    edited September 2003
    Maybe just one more comparison. Couldn't get the Picasso because they sold out. I found a couple more and it looks like it's gonna be between the Arc Audio XXK2050 and the Fosgate 401s. The Fosgate I'm sure will put out over 500 watts, which should pound these subs pretty good. The Arc will only do 300, but it's supposed to be an excellent sound quality amp. Both are the same price. I've pretty much settled for the 401s but do you think that will be enough juice? Seems like 250+ watts/sub should be enough right? The RMS is 250 a piece so........
    For some reason she turned down the Profile amp. I think it's mainly cuz she didn't wanna wait a week for delivery... Typical woman... lol
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2003
    actually, unless thats an older model fosgate, it probably will only put out 20 watts or so more than its rated
    thats my experience with their newer model amps
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    cody is right - new rf will only do sheet or a smidge above.

dude -- dont settle for a 300 w amp either...

christ if it all goes to hell get that blue thunder 150.2 -- its 150 bucks and WILL DO 500 watts regardless of what its specs say.

or pick up like one of those hifonics mono amps off sounddomain.com -- they do power at 1 ohm -- d4's paralllelled across the board is 1 ohm load.

i'm sure u can find something decent for cheaper.

**** even a JBL BP 600.1 is 300w to each sub.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by C-Man
    For some reason she turned down the Profile amp. I think it's mainly cuz she didn't wanna wait a week for delivery... Typical woman... lol

So she would rather contemplate a billion different amps over the next two weeks than wait a week for an amp? Not trying to get you to buy the Profile amp, just pointing out the lack of logical thought in that process. Not a knock against your girl either. Just a funny thing, that's all.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • C-Man
    edited September 2003
    No offense taken. I've seen too many girls like that though, she's usually really good about waiting, but this time she wasn't having no week wait. She wanted the best amp for those subs, she wanted it cheap, and she wanted it now... lol. I think I did alright considering my circumstances. She wanted it before Saturday, so I ended up getting a Fosgate 501s. Birth certificate said 585 RMS so I figure 280-290 a piece will be good.
    Yeah, as soon as I emailed that guy about the Arc amp, and he said it would run the subs, and sound good doing it, but would only put out 300 watts rms at the most I said forget it. Oh well... I got the Fosgate for less than the Profile, so I'm happy, and she's gonna be happy that I got it for her, and I'm gonna be even happier since she's happy. :)
    Also, the amp looks like it accepts only 8 guage wire... is 8 guage large enough for this amp?
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    well... 585 through 8 gauge (if u ran it straight from battery right back to amp) is like the bare **** minimum... i'd say you're pushing it a little... 450 - 500 is about as high as i'd go on 8... ya, now that i think about it -- 500 or just a smidge more.

if you're runnin off a D block or a cap though - dont sweat it.. you'll have a 4 gauge or whatever line going back and then just 8 gauge for a foot or two or 3. which is fine.

short runs can utilize smaller wire -- i've gotten the impression RF expects users to run everything off a D block and hence use smaller wire -- the damned 1000 watt mono amp has a 4 gauge input and sucks 110 amps.