New Car GTI, STI, EVO....

eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited December 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
So - Good news, i just got a very very good job working for a software company!!!
In this economy I am ecstatic to be making what I am with full benefits. The company is awesome and so are the people, and i really enjoy going to work.

So now the fun part. I have a pretty nice car right now, 2007 civic lx, i put some wheels on it and tinted it and have really enjoyed having it. However, for the past year or so I have become BORED out of my mind. It's awesome on gas but horrible on acceleration, it corners well but its slower than crap....

So here I am, 23 years old, solid job, and i have a paid off civic worth between 13-14k. Im looking at getting a new or used STI, EVO or a new GTI (dsg).

STI is my first choice but the price of them is really hard to go with, it is my "logical" dream car, but the 34k price tag is a little hefty for me. Looking at them used there isn't a big jump, so i have a lot of trouble justifying the purchase.

The EVO is my 2nd choice i think, New they are far too expensive, but used ive been seeing some 2008 models with 45-60k miles on them for 22-25. I sat in one today... I'm a bigger guy and have big thighs from playing water polo since i was 8... not very comfy for me. The recaro seats look great, but i just cant imagine sitting in there for 6 hour drives up the coast to santa cruz (where my girl was going to school).

So then, my boss (who owns a gti) says check out the GTI (dsg). So here i am looking online tonight and reading some reviews, and people are comparing it to porche and saying that its QUICK and handles ridiculously well. The issue is that i want either solid black interior or leather, and the leather package is another 5k (DUMB). So i would need to spend 1k-2k on after market leather, which isn't horrible because im sure i could get some extra leather for some a-pillar pods.

I guess im posting because im looking for educated opinions on these vehicles or any others you may think i would enjoy driving in this price range.

My main priority is reliability. My civic is built like a tank, I have had to do NOTHING to it besides breaks and tires, and im sure i wont for another 50k or so.

let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• EBAN44
    EBAN44 Posts: 39
    edited August 2011
    Infinite G37? or maybe last gen G35? Speed, very nice, roomie... well built engine
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2011
    EBAN44 wrote: »
    Infinite G37? or maybe last gen G35? Speed, very nice, roomie... well built engine

beautiful car, but not for me, maybe in 10+ years, i think im looking for soething more aggressive
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • elmobo
    elmobo Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Yeah same to me... hoping to have some.. just like that.. maybe I can have that when I'm reach at the age of 50's something... hehe.. expected that gift to my grandchildren :D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2011
    In the current economic situation, you are very lucky to be where you are. As you have rightly pointed out yourself. However, things continue to be fluid and could change on a dime. In which case companies usually follow 'LIFO and the youngest ones first' policy.

Honestly, I would stick with the boring Civic for a while. Just save up for now and if 12 months down the line things are still rosy then look at making a big ticket commitment. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but that is what I would tell my 22 yr old son, if he asked this question. :smile:

Its a tough call between the Subaru and the EVO though.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2011
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Its a tough call between the Subaru and the EVO though.

No contest here at all. Subaru all day long and twice on Sunday. Symetrical AWD will be a benefit you will be thankful for every time you drive the car. That system is so good that you won't even know how many times it saves the car from getting away from you. Grab the STI if you can and you will never have a regret.

The other aspect of a car's performance is always forgotten in the excitement of buying the car, and that is it's resale performance. In this economy, every advantage helps and here again, the Subi comes out on top. Think safety, reliability and again, Subi wins.

If I sound like a salesman, I sold them too. More than that, I built Subarus for a while in Lafayette, and I can tell you from first-hand experience just how anal they are about their quality.

I guess you know what my call would be, but best of luck in the new job and with your choice.

John
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2011
    Why not the standard WRX? it's IMO a better choice than the GTI and still around 10 grand under the EVO/STI.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2011
    Boy Racer, harsh ride, a little unrefined = Subaru

Refined, comfort, still fast, composed, killer materials inside = GTI

GTI all the way

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    edited August 2011
    Brock, I think you are right on most (not sure what "boy racer" means).

For me, the AWD and the "still fast" vs "really fast" might be a decision point and be ok with the harsh ride and poor interior of the Subaru.

In terms of reliability I think they are very similar (good).

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2011
    yeah if i do go with the sti, i will prob force myself to save more for a down payment.

As far as quality go i know the sti is the best, but i was more interested in knowing how the others are as well.

WRX = regret, i know i i will be angry for not getting the STI.

As far as the risk of picking up a big payment in this economy. I am in a secure positions, i was hired because of my experience in the industry. The company has been around for 25 years and was recently acquired by one of the larger medical software companies in the world, we are still hiring, the job isn't going anywhere. Not to mention that I've already talked with upper management about them helping pay for school, im so lucky.

As of now - we are looking at a White STI 5 Door

o yeah - work is only 1 mile away. yay gas prices and putting no miles on my car.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    Ricardo wrote: »
    (not sure what "boy racer" means).

Subaru's of that type tend to have a lot of wings, flares, scoops, funky colors, odd colored rims, etc. That screams boy racer.

I did notice the OP is 23 so perhaps the Subaru is more appealing to him as that;s the demographic they shoot for with those cars vs. the GTI being a little more refined, upscale, etc.

This is the GTi to get but sadly even I think it's over priced

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/07/2012-volkswagen-golf-r-first-drive-review-road-test/

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Subaru's of that type tend to have a lot of wings, flares, scoops, funky colors, odd colored rims, etc. That screams boy racer.

I did notice the OP is 23 so perhaps the Subaru is more appealing to him as that;s the demographic they shoot for with those cars vs. the GTI being a little more refined, upscale, etc.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/07/2012-volkswagen-golf-r-first-drive-review-road-test/

H9

i really like this look
    4863014446_753f4bec5b.jpg

"NOT"... not into the "ricey" style... im looking at going more classey i guess
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    i really like this look
    4863014446_753f4bec5b.jpg

"NOT"... not into the "ricey" style... im looking at going more classey i guess

No offense but that screams "boy racer" :biggrin: I'm older than you and past that stage. Again, nothing wrong with that.
  • Ricardo
    edited August 2011

H9

Nice; goes from 200 to 260ish HP, AWD.......I like it. Might be my next car :cool:

SOPA
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Nice; goes from 200 to 260ish HP, AWD.......I like it. Might be my next car :cool:

I want one too, but I admit, I can't really swing it anytime soon. Probably part of the reason I think they are asking too much :biggrin:

If you get one, you're driving to Polkfest 2013 and I'll help :biggrin:

H9
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited August 2011

H9

I'm guessing the R is the new evrsion of the R32 (?)

I had an '02 R32. Awesomely fun car. Had it for 8 years and put 170k miles on it. Other than preventative maint. I spent maybe $700 on repairs. I'm sure it would've gone another 100k easy but some dbag broad-sided me and it was totalled.

I agree that they're a little over-priced for the person that is primarily performance driven. These VW's offer a great amount of bells & whistles. And if you're into design, industrial or otherwise, VW wins hands down with innovation, fit, and finish.

If I were only cnocerned about performance, I'd be in an a/c-less Mitsu Evo. I pulled one out of a car trailer and ripped it around a test track in the united center parking lot a few years back, and it's insane. As good as an STI is, an Evo is even more confident, even more poised. I think they look classier too. But the interior finish is not as refined as I would like.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    Yes, the new "R" is a continuation of the "R" spec VW's and is the 2012 equivalent to the R32, the biggest change being it has the 16V 2.0 4cyl turbo instead of the 3.2L VR6. The 2.0 is a great engine and with the right exhaust can sound pretty damn good. There is still nothing like the sound of a WOT VR6 with proper exhaust, the sound is intoxicating and I find myself revving my VR6 just to hear the sound. (Techtonics SS exhaust w/Borla muffler)

But the 2.0-4cyl is an engineering marvel and 200+lbs lighter than the VR6 and it just makes the car at the limit much better to drive, so I get that.

Our local VW dealer has an '08 R32 with 11K and they are asking $28K, that's ridiculous for a car that MSRP'd at about $32 and many of the '08's sat on the lot and people were buying them at a 20% discount just to move them.

Since I don't go to the track an R32 with VR6 or the new R-GTI would be fine by me, a superb balance of refinement, fit and finish, comfort and enough power and chassis to have a lot of fun. Not a balls out street racer. That's not what they are for nor have they ever been for that.

H9
  • gwg_97
    gwg_97 Posts: 332
    edited August 2011
    +1 on the golf R or wait a year for the completely redesigned WRX.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_2948.shtml

Now, if you want to be more practical, keep the civic and buy a house.

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    gwg_97 wrote: »

Now, if you want to be more practical, keep the civic and buy a house.

I just bought a house, so that's why I have to keep my VR6 GTi for awhile :tongue:

H9
  • Ricardo
    edited August 2011
    If you get one, you're driving to Polkfest 2013 and I'll help :biggrin:

H9

I'm pretty sure it would be more fun to drive than the Jetta....

SOPA
  • praedet
    praedet Posts: 314
    edited August 2011
    All right, I have owned 2 of the cars and test driven the other 1 extensively...

First, stock for stock, and all from the equivalent model year
    Handling
    1. Evo
    2. STi
    10. GTI

Handling
    1 and 2 Tie. Evo and STi (Really depends on distance and roll vs. stop)
    10. GTI

Creature Comforts
    1. GTI
    2 and 3 Tie. Evo and STi (Really depends on what you look at, most would say the STi is slightly better)

Daily driveability (Harshness)
    1 and 2 tie. GTI and STi (The GTI is the more upscale, and softer, the STi is not too bad and will be MUCH better in rain or snow)
    5. Evo (Pretty harsh)

Reliability
    1. STi
    5. Evo
    10. GTI

Once you start modding, it depends on how much you spend and what you are interested in basically...
    HT: Ninja Master LSi9s, Ninja Master LSiC, Slightly Modded LSiFXs, Modded LSi7s, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Polk PSW125
    Outlaw 970 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Velodyne SMS-1, Oppo BDP-83,
    2 APC H-15s and a Panamax 5400 for good measure ;)
    Stereo: DIY Alix Music Server, DODD Audio Battery Tube Buffer, Modded DAC-60 and MF V-Link (for now), DIY Silver ICs, Battery Powered Class D SDS-254 Amp, and GR-Research N2X Speakers
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    Care to elaborate one's which you;ve owned? Also Handling???? You give no criteria. The GTi will never be a track monster like the others, it's not marketed that way.

I disagree with your findings, but then we both just have our own opinions. What does the numbering have to do with anything, again no criteria.

H9
  • praedet
    edited August 2011
    GTI and STi...

It is an absolute scale with the top always occupied by one of the 3. In other words, handling in the GTi is FAR below that of the STi or Evo, even on the street. It is only more pronounced at the track.

Which ones do you disagree on? No person that has experience with all three, or worthwhile magazine/consumer ratings site will disagee with me/ The GTi has better creature comforts and snob appeal, but worse reliability and performance...
    HT: Ninja Master LSi9s, Ninja Master LSiC, Slightly Modded LSiFXs, Modded LSi7s, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Polk PSW125
    Stereo: DIY Alix Music Server, DODD Audio Battery Tube Buffer, Modded DAC-60 and MF V-Link (for now), DIY Silver ICs, Battery Powered Class D SDS-254 Amp, and GR-Research N2X Speakers
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    I didn't understand what the numbers meant, 1,2,5,10. Snob appeal, that's funny because (and this is a general statement as I'm sure your's was) I find more annoying, snobby people driving around in EVO's and STI's than I do in GTi's, by a long shot.

I would disagree that the GTi is FAR worse at handling. It's not a track car like most STI's and EVO's, but then it doesn't make your teeth fall out driving in the Midwest either.

As far as reliablity, I assume you are basing on having owned it. I myself have had few issues with my GTi so I disagree it seems Newrival would disagree as well.

There is no correct answer here, you prefer the other's. That's great. I prefer the GTi like I prefer SDA while other's prefer Maggies. I just wanted a little better understanding of your criteria. Still not understanding the handling as you have just used "street" and "track" but I don't race on the street so do you mean going over rough pavement, carving up a winding road and then I'd assume you drove all 3 on the same road and same conditions, etc.

H9
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2011
    what did i start.......

also looking at the a3
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    what did i start.......

also looking at the a3

Nothing, I was just commenting. Not discounting his findings, I just don't agree 100% and I didn't understand his criteria. Talking about cars has even more opinions than talking about audio :eek::biggrin:.

Seriously, it's all good.

IMO, the A3 is an over priced Golf in general:smile: One big advantage obviously is the Quattro feature, but you will pay dearly. I don't mean that negatively, it's just a fact that Quattro usually comes with the high end package.

If I had my choice between a loaded A3 and the new R-GTI, no contest, R-GTI.

H9
  • praedet
    edited August 2011
    ^^^I agree ;)

R32 and other R versions of the Golf line fair better against the STi and Evo
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2011
    honestly i may end up just waiting to get that dream STI
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOsIFJwS--4

This would be similar to what i like. im not a fan of the big spoiler.
    i would PROB go for 5 door.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2011
    The-Black-2011-Subaru-Impreza-STI-Cosworth-CS400-495x342.gif

100% tint all around though.

I'm already thinking about what speakers im going to put in it. SRs are so hard to find and im not going to put anything mediocre in it.

Pretty sure an SR 12 will be the sub of choice as well as PDX amps.

I am going to sound proof the crap out of this thing - gonna be fun to rip apart my dream car in my driveway and watch the people next door and my girlfriend wonder why the hell im doing it.

I figure with the power the sti has the weight shouldn't be a big deal.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2011
    The-Black-2011-Subaru-Impreza-STI-Cosworth-CS400-495x342.gif

Freaking SWEET!!!

Another thing to consider is to go WRX and tweak it as you go. A friend of mine has a WRX that is pushing 400 to the wheels, looks box stock, andhe did it for about 4k less than getting an STI.:cool:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson