Nasty Reverb

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,082
edited September 2003 in Speakers
My closet has no door, it dosn't need a door, but it does not have a door. Anyways, I have a nasty high frequency reverb within my closet. I think I could put a blanket over my closet and this could solve this problem...any ideas?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,655
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Come out of the closet :D
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    WTF?

I am on my bed, it is between the 2 speakers, with my ears 7 feet away from the speakers. The closet is to my left, when facing the speakers. There is a ton of sibilance, and harshness that comes from just the left speaker due to this. Do you have any advice?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The best way to find out is to do it and see what happens. It would depend on how acoustically transparent the material is. You may be able to just rearrange the contents of the closet and stack things to cover exposed bare wall areas... or.. tack the 'blanket' or whatever material to the *inside* walls rather than over the door. You just need to deaden the space.

Plus, if you deaden it inside without a blanket "door" you can get one of these: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/junior2/beadedcurtains.html

That'd be groovy.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Ken - LOL.

I say use some concrete blocks, and wall off your closet. Clothes are overrated, sound should be your main focus....not school, not girls...just perfect absolute sound.

Try what Burdette mentioned, it is worth trying. Tell F1Nut to buy some curtains while you are at it. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ken brydson
    Come out of the closet :D

ha ha ha. good one Ken

Sid, it's just a joke.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,655
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    ha ha ha. good one Ken

Sid, it's just a joke.

Thanks for translating:)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hang a blanket over the opening and see if it makes any difference...........however, if you got clothes and such in your closet I don't see what the sound is reflecting off, unless it's reflecting off the pile of dried up spunk rags. If that's the case, wash 'em.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I can see it now...

Sid in his room, Sears catalog open to the ladies unmentionables... wackin it like a red-assed monkey...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Blankets, rugs and carpet can be pretty useless for sound absorption. Maybe what you should do after you pay back your dad is to acoustically treat your room. Panels or wedges would do it justice. Something like this (one of my toys at work):

sans.jpg
  • TroyD
    edited September 2003
    Options
    All I can picture is that real skinny dude in Road Trip......

BDT
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited September 2003
    Options
    RuSsMaN
    "I can see it now...

Sid in his room, Sears catalog open to the ladies unmentionables... wackin it like a red-assed monkey..."

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Oh, like you didn't when you were that age?

• TroyD
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Whaddya mean at that age?

****, Russ is STILL wackin' it like a caveman trying to start a fire.....

BDT
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    What a way to *Hi-Jack* a thread...lol

Thanks for all the help, I will try a cover and see if it helps....
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The first time I read Russ' post, I had just taken a sip of some diet pepsi, and I literally sprayed my computer screen with it from when I involuntarily spat it out from laughing so hard!
    That was great!

Yours was good too Troy, but it just didn't catch me off guard like Russ' did.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Are you guys kidding me? You're really giving suggestions on how to soundproof a BEDROOM that he wants to be a HT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Sid........you are in a BEDROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING you do will give you perfect sound, considering that it IS A BEDROOM. If you want the ideal system/setup, move the bed, dressers, nightstands, etc out and camp your **** in there with a move away cot.

Jesus......you're WAY too amped on this sound thing!!! A Sub for a BEDROOM system??!?!?!? Are you out of your mind???? Get out more and freakin RELAX!!!!!!!!!
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited September 2003
    Options
    LOL..... too freakin funny.... :D
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Brett,
    WTF is your problem...

In my bedroom, right now...
    Consist of this...

A Bed
    a **TV Stand
    My Entertainment Center/Desk combo..
    My RTi70 Speakers
    M&K Subwoofer

That is all that is on my floor right now

In my closet...
    a Dresser....

My current room setup is the ideal setup. The only difference is mine has a bed in it. Heck my setup right now has better placement than some setups I have seen on here. It may be a bedroom, but it is shifted for the ultimate HT experience within this room. The high frequency harshness in my left main is due to the closet. Infact, the harsh sound comes from my closet. I want to get rid of it, I didn't ask you about my room, I asked about help on getting rid of the harsh high frequency on the left main, that resided within the closet.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Put a **** door on the **** closet of your IDEAL **** room.

Give me a **** break.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I think Sterephile is looking for another demo room........

That would be perfect, Sam Tellig can get his demo AND his nap on all in the same room.

BDT
  • danger boy
    edited September 2003
    Options
    wow... some people get so ticked off so quickly. ;)

Trey, explain one more time what the problem is... so I can better understand it. ok? Why is there harshness coming from your closet? Is one of your mains inside the closet or what? I had to deal with harshness a while ago... from my RT800i's. So maybe I can give you some tweak tips.

Al
  • TroyD
    edited September 2003
    Options
    actually, I've found that the best arrangment is to have your pants hung to the rear and shirts hung to the front. I think that arrangement lends itself to more detail in the midbass region. If you put your stroke mags in the top drawer under the socks, I find that will tend to brighten the highs. For a more mellow sound, stick 'em in the bottom drawer to the left under the gym shorts.

BDT
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Danger,
    The main is beside the main door. The closet is the side wall infront of the main door. The closet door was removed, more the less pulled off the henges because the wood wore away where the screws were. My main door is the same way, but I still pick it up to close it instead of just throwing it away. Anyways, it's like on any recording. The left main's high frequencies will trail into the closet causing a reverb. Kinda of a harshness, causing sibilance, and etchy highs. However, on the right...it is very neutral and remains clean and smooth. The closet is the first guess, mainly because thats where I hear it coming from...

The sibilance gets worse if the main door is open, so I leave that closed when listening to music.

My mains are about 5.5-6 feet apart. Aproximately 9 inches away from the bed, 1 inch over. Tilted to go to the very edge of the bed on each side. Each main is about 1-1.5 feet from the TV Stand. The TV stand being centered between them. They are measured to be mirror images just about from left to right, so the soundstage would be as even as possible. I found this works best and evens the mains out.

I am aproximately 7 feet, give or take from the speakers, ear wise.

On the right side, my desk/ec is there, on the left side is just an open space, where the main door, and closet door are. Not on the same wall. The closet door is on the left wall (when sitting, facing the stereo), and the main door is on the front wall...
  • danger boy
    edited September 2003
    Options
    well you and i have similar gear.. both have i70's/800i's for mains.. and both run off Adcom amps.

If I were you.. i'd definately try and block the closet with something. .. a door would be ideal... because this will help deflect what sound is going towards the closet. If not possible.. try a blanket then.

Other things to try.. try moving the left one by the closet.. outward so it's not firing directly at you. That should tame the harshness somewhat. If that doesn't work... then the next thing I did was to replace the interconnets from the Adcom to the preouts but instead of going with IXOS, i switched over to Radio Shack Fusion. That helped a little bit too. I had heard good things about those Fusion interconnets.. i am very pleased with the two meter one i bought. I will def be buying more of them in the future.

Can you turn the treble down on your PE? Just a 1/8 to 1/4 turn down may kick it and make things more desireable to listen to.

finally. and this is the biggie.. how about rearranging the room.. so the mains aren't near the closet? I know that's a big hassle.. but is some cases it might make more sense. Keep this in mind tho. I rearrange my ht room every two or three years... when I get tired of it.

I was listening to some two channel music this afternoon.. and I have to say.. i'm very happy with the sound i'm getting from my front RT800i's right now. Wow... properly set up and with the right tweaks.. stereo music listening has a whole new meaning again. The i70's/800i's have beatufil full range sound.. clear crisp highs.. smooth righ mids and decent bass to boot. I'm not a bass-head.. so when I listen to stereo CD music.. i often turn the sub way down or off... depending on the CD.

good luck... but give some of those a try and see what happens.

Edit: one more thing Trey, i also bi wired my speakers. I know you're not a big fan of biwiring and stuff. but it doesn't have to cost a ton of money either. You are using IXOS right for your fronts? Use the same cable/wires to run another run to your RTi70's. BUt this time leave the metal jumpers in place. i know, i know.. some people say you HAVE to remove the jumpers.. but you don't. Try that one out and see if it works. Afterall tweaking with your system is hella fun isn't it? :D
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Danger,
    I can't move the main next to the closet, because the main door, if it opened (which it dosnt, it lays against the wall) its like you open, then the closet starts. I rearanged my room for this setup. It took me 7 hours to move my furniture around, because my EC/Desk weighs 250-300 pounds, and it was an inch by inch push move...lol. But this is the best I can get it in my room.

I really have no way of spending money on the minor things. I may later on next year, depending on how the summer goes..but thats the only way I will know. So upgrading cables will not help me.

I have not tried bi-wiring, but I have tried bi-amping to find absolutely no results..

Oh man...I know. If you want a real kick in the ****$, download Circle of Life, that was in the Lion king. The closing bass, and the bass that is in that track is amazing. The highs, the flute, awesome! Truly amazing imaging in that song, the 70's REALLY excell in that area...

I could try bi-wiring but, I have absolutely no nanner plugs that fit 15 awg wire... more the less, I need about 15-20 feet for the left main, and 5 for the right main. I have 5, but 15-20, I do not. So I can't do the whole thing. If I ever get the chance, I will try that.

Oh by the way, I run my treble on -6. I find it sounds best there...

Between the CD Player, and the PE I use the Adcom cables. I found that REALLY tamed the highs on the Yamaha player, they were really...uh.......sperotic, I suppose. lol, now they are really tame in comparison.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    I really have no way of spending money on the minor things. I may later on next year, depending on how the summer goes..but thats the only way I will know. So upgrading cables will not help me.
    Am I to understand then that you're going to be pulling a subwoofer out of your **** along with a pair of 600's? Fix the effin dor, and scratch the 600's........duh.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I am not getting the 600i.

I am getting a subwoofer, repairing the 35i, getting a xbox, then I am saving money...

DUH

I do NOT want a closet door, it will be in the way....
  • brettw22
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Then deal with the reverb.........case closed.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey Sid....

...go eff yourself...

Shouldn't you be in school? Make like a **** tree already.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    ...alrighty than, w/e

I will try a cover next time I get around to it. Russ, to my dismay, we do not hold classes at 11:20 at night...:rolleyes:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Damn this is one funny **** thread... Smart **** anwer would be to hang up your clothes...

Real answer... Sid, think comforter, something with some thickness to it. It will absorb the highs. Thin blanket won;t do much...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD