Dynaco A25 VW

Cayuga
Cayuga Posts: 480
edited August 2011 in Vintage Speakers
I grabbed these today, they sound great even with a low-end solid state receiver. I'm going to try them with my Fisher 500B, can't wait. I know the A25's are well liked, whats the group think about the VW's?
Post edited by Cayuga on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2011
    Congrats. I've never heard a pair and may try to scoop up a set as well. Lots of vintage buzz on these...especially concerning their low end? But I've also read that the Dynaco woofer is not the most robust of drivers compared to other vintage speakers from that time like AR, KLH and Advent? Hope that's not the case.

Look forward to a short review if you're up to it. But do hang with them and enjoy first!

They look to be in very good condition.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • DON73
    DON73 Posts: 516
    edited August 2011
    Cayuga wrote: »
    I grabbed these today, they sound great even with a low-end solid state receiver. I'm going to try them with my Fisher 500B, can't wait. I know the A25's are well liked, whats the group think about the VW's?

These are very well liked by almost everybody who has owned a pair.
    TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE IS CANINE.
  • Cayuga
    edited August 2011
    Thanks cnh, I have AR (AX2) and Advent (The Loud Speaker) and I must say the AR are better in the low end. I think the Dynaco's sound better than my Advents in all areas and better highs than the AR's. Now thats with my 53 year old ears and the 3 sets of speakers I have. I would be interested in feedback from members with the same line up. I would like to know how collectible the VW's are compared to the older A25's.
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited August 2011
    I had a set of those and should have kept them.
    (like most things I sell).
    They sounded very close to a pair of ADS L-570's I had at the same time. The Dynaco's had a little better bass and the ADS's a little better highs. I kept going back and forth with a speaker switch to see which I liked better and sometimes couldn't tell which was which (I think that's a good thing).
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • Cayuga
    edited August 2011
    How does the VW version compare to the A25's from a value standpoint?
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2011
    I've had (and still do) plenty of Dynaco A-25, and even had A-50 here for awhile. The A-25? Where's the low end from the 10" woofer?
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2011
    Very nice speakers. I prefer the model with the port above the tweeter the A25x, But then I prefer my high end controlled more than most.

Overall, they very nice speakers and would like to own a pair. I have no idea on value though, it was a pretty popular speaker so they can be found relatively easy.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,631
    edited August 2011
    The "VW' version, akin to the eponymous automobile, was "the people's speaker" :-)

It was the bargain version of the A-25, with vinyl (a la Polk Monitor Series) instead of walnut veneer; otherwise it was basically identical, I think.

The A-25 was a very pleasant sounding loudspeaker and also reasonably sensitive. I won't disagree with George about the LF, though (even I am smart enough not to disagree with George...).

Info on Dynaco speakers:
    http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/index.html
    (top page for Dynaco stuff @ http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/)
  • Cayuga
    edited August 2011
    The low end on the A-25's isn't what I'm getting from my AR's, that said I like the overall sound of the A25 better than my AR's. I might not be smart enough to understand what George is asking.
  • cnh
    edited August 2011
    I can't comment on the actual low end of those Dynacos, only from what I've read comparing them to other 10" two ways. George has a lot more experience with units from that era and I think he's comparing them to monster towers with dual 12" woofers, like the one we briefly demoed at Lou's (Polkfest). And, there is certainly no way a 10" two way is going to put out low end like that.

George can correct me if I am wrong...but I think I remember him saying that he ran 4 of these (or something similar) at once in one of his systems? Or 8 x 12" woofers--now that's some bass. The AR-9s were, indeed, one of the highlights of the Fest.

They were AR-9s! Here is a link and specs:

http://audio-database.com/AR/amp_speaker/ar-9-e.html

I do, though, like the low end my Large Advents put out for a two way...surprisingly satisfying. I'd still like to hear these up close!

cnh

• Cayuga
    edited August 2011
    My Advents are one of my favorites and sound great. The A25's are new to me and when compared to my AR's and my Advents, I would say the low end on the 25's is in the middle of the 3 pairs I noted. Thanks to all, for the input.
  • George Grand
    edited August 2011
    George is comparing their low end to all the other 10" woofer based speakers of the same time frame. The AR-5, 2, KLH Model 6, the original Advents, and a few others.

Why in the world would I compare the low end response of a small 10" two-way with that of an AR-9? Think before you talk.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2011
    Agreed, the low end of the A-25s is disappointing, especially when compared to other 2-ways with a 10" woofer. That said though, overall, I prefer them to thier competitors. YMMV.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2011
    AR-9's....got to get to Jersey before Lou comes to his senses.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cnh
    edited August 2011
    George is comparing their low end to all the other 10" woofer based speakers of the same time frame. The AR-5, 2, KLH Model 6, the original Advents, and a few others.

Why in the world would I compare the low end response of a small 10" two-way with that of an AR-9? Think before you talk.

My apologies Mr. Grand. I stand corrected. A bit more reflection on my part, was probably in order here.

I haven't heard those Dynacos so that's probably an even greater foul. But I can agree about the Advents as I own a set. And I've heard the KLH 6s.

cnh

• George Grand
    edited August 2011
    The Dynaco A-25 is an excellent speaker that rolls off a little too soon at the low end for my tastes. It may be perfectly adequate for others.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2011
    ...some folks feel that the HF rolls off a tad early as well (in the interest of full disclosure).
  • Cayuga
    edited August 2011
    I must say, I'm glad to have them regardless of low end or high end. I just don't see these in my area very often so I grabbed them along with the ST-80 that powered them.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2011
    The Dynaco A-25 is an excellent speaker that rolls off a little too soon at the low end for my tastes. It may be perfectly adequate for others.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ...some folks feel that the HF rolls off a tad early as well (in the interest of full disclosure).

So you guys say they are midrange of the road sound wise. :biggrin:
  • George Grand
    edited August 2011
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

My ears do that to every speaker out there now.

In retrospect, it is slightly unfair to compare it to AR-2, 5, KLH 6, Original or New Advent, for the fact that the rest of those 10"ers were in substantially larger and heavier enclosures. The A-25 is one of the smallest 10" enclosures I am aware of, maybe the old PS-10 w/downward firing woofer was smaller. In all fairness, it should be compared to AR-4, AR-6, KLH 17, or Smaller Advent.

Compare it to anything, it's still a great loudspeaker. I could be wrong, it might be at the Dynaco website, but I think A-25 might be the largest selling speaker of all time.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2011
    My ears do that to every speaker out there now.

In retrospect, it is slightly unfair to compare it to AR-2, 5, KLH 6, Original or New Advent, for the fact that the rest of those 10"ers were in substantially larger and heavier enclosures. The A-25 is one of the smallest 10" enclosures I am aware of, maybe the old PS-10 w/downward firing woofer was smaller. In all fairness, it should be compared to AR-4, AR-6, KLH 17, or Smaller Advent.

Compare it to anything, it's still a great loudspeaker. I could be wrong, it might be at the Dynaco website, but I think A-25 might be the largest selling speaker of all time.

I believe you're correct in the citation, George - and it was at least the largest-selling speaker of its time.

Yeah, my ears do that too... but I still don't like bright-sounding loudspeakers.
  • George Grand
    edited August 2011
    The A-50, with 2 x 10" woofs, was no AR-3a or AR-5 either in the low end for that matter. However, they had a very seductive sound which reminded me of the DCM Time Frame series. BIG soundstage that probably could've been made bigger with some DIY front baffle mods.