Tacoma sound system

chuckde
chuckde Posts: 6
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
just bought my first truck, a tacoma, and the sound system could definitely use replacing. since up until now ive been driving my parents cars around, im new to car audio. any suggestions?
Post edited by chuckde on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2003
    Model of truck? The bigger the cab the easier **** is going to be to put in and the more space you can give up, say, for amps or subs. Price range? And what are you looking for? Saying it needs improvement over stock isn't really saying much.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    you can go cheap --- or you can not go cheap --- that's your call.

also - from personal experience - i forewarn you, while "ripping everything out and going all audio" sounds like a nice idea now, you may end up kicking yourself later.

sometimes - most times - simple yet potent is better than "500 horsepower of audio" if you get my point.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited September 2003
    I have a an Idea. Get a Kicker 2 way Full Range box. The one with the 12" woofers and horn tweeters. Run the (Cant remember the model number) Kicker 250 x2 amp. Get a Metallica cd. And wake the dead!!
    Chris :D
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    personally i've never liked the idea of a full range box... a sub and a tweeter should not be in the same enclosure imho...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    btw if it's a 96-03 you could go with mtx thunderform for the sub take a look at...
    http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/TTP10.cfm
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    thunderform = biggest waste of 400 bucks u can spend.

no sub box shoudl be made of plastic. fiberglass yes -- plastic no.

be a real man - build a wooden one... cost you almost nothing -- and it'll last forever.

and i agree---subs and tweets in a "full range box" --- has the apocalypse come?

:)

chris has been workin at pep boys too long -- he's been checkin out those Jensen full range boxes and is gettin envious. :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2003
    Now, waitaminute here.

First off, most of those "full-range" boxes are not even loaded with actual subs. More like woofers that can reach deep but usually not below 35-40 Hz.

I can also see the issue with cone tweeters with an open basket getting thrashed by the much more powerful mid-range, bass and sub drivers. They move alot more air and they color the sound from the tweeter.

Compression horns on the other hand, they are totally unaffected by outside sources. There is no open space behind the tweeter to let outside sources affect it. Compression horns are good for a full-range box because they have a huge range and can take a good deal of power and they are freakin' LOUD! Problem is, they are not always clean. Not like a laminated silk dome tweeter or something like that.

If you want stereo sound that is loud anc cheap, a full-range box is the way to go. We used to load our Jeeps and trucks with cheap crap to have tunes while 'froadin' so that when one of the vehicles got bogged down, swamped or flooded, it didn't matter if the speakers bit the dust. About the only good use for Kraco radios too. At 25 bucks a pop, if one went south, just grab another one!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    didn't Becker company used to pump out those full rnage boxes with like two 10" woofers and two horn tweeters in a trapezoid box for like 69 bucks ?

i had thought u had to amp those things though?

figured a koss / kraco / sparco / whatever head only put out like 5 to 7 watts by 2 rms(common ground)... which usually aint enough to push the box
  • Jstas
    edited September 2003
    You could get a 50Wx2 amp from Audiovox, right next to the Becker/Audiovox speaker boxes and just below the Kraco (read Crapo) radios. That would be plenty to power the junk **** speakers. Funny thing was, teh Audiovox amp could float but the "wood" Audiovox speaker boxes would sink like a stone.

Don't ask how I found that one out.

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited September 2003
    The Full-Range boxes at Pep Boys are made by Electra. $20 you get a box with dual 6.5" and (Not sure) 1" tweeter. now if you really want to be a "Man" build a box to hold one 15" sub, Two 6.5" Mid-Woofers and a pair of Tweeters. Wire for Tri-Way operation and ANNOY the neighbors!!!
    Chris
  • Jstas
    edited September 2003
    When I worked at Pep Boys, they were selling Audiovox speaker boxes. The entire line has changed now though. The Audiovox boxes had 8 or 10 inch subs with horn tweeters and ports. Looked alot like the Jensen boxes and Becker boxes.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    i should put 35" swampers on the caddy and take that offroading.

that would be interesting...whole car prolly fall apart before i got to the first big obstacle.

i can see the advantages of a self built audio system that can be contained in one box... nice big handle on top and the amp bolted to the back of hte box.

its like the emergency audio kit... "oh no, little tommy had his gear stolen, quick get the EAK (emergency audio kit) before he dies!"

:)
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    and it makes it nice and convienient....for the thieves

and PBD if you're pressed for space and time and have no knowledge of how to build boxes etc, thunderform is a decent alternative to paying someone out the **** for custom labor ;D