Best Bass for your Buck!

Options
hamzahsh
hamzahsh Posts: 439
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=478

10 Great SUBS to buy for less money!

I'm really glad to see my lovely Velodyne CHT-15 which can put 116db max. SPL!:D

Hands down Velodyne CHT-15 wins the competition. Lab report!

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/818200316533.pdf

Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
Polk Audio CS400i (center)
Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)
Post edited by hamzahsh on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    116db max @ 62 Hz, whoopie!

Max spl @ 25 Hz, drumroll please........a whopping 92db!!!

Certainly nothing to write home to mom about.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,070
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Russ,
    Thats mean.....lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    You're right Sid, it is mean for Velo to charge so much, for so little in this case.

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I hope that's not actually in a room.....maybe its 1000 feet above a cornfield.....then again I'm probably just being too nice.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I have been hearing rumors that SVS subwoofers are the cause of crop circles....anyone else heard this :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hamzahsh
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    You're right Sid, it is mean for Velo to charge so much, for so little in this case.

;)

Cheers,
    Russ

The reason why I posted this because I'm proud to own this amazing sub. The price Sound & Vision is stating $599 US and I paid $ 500 CDN. = $365 US.

Absolutely unbelievable performance for the amount money I spent on this sub. There are other brands like SVS, Sunfire, M&K etc., that would cost me 3-4 times more.

I'm not comparing apples to apples here. In case of SVS you get what you pay for and they make great subs for sure no doubt but for Velodyne is worth every single penny atleast in my case.

Velodyne is the biggest sub company in the world as far as I know. The series I own is there standard entry level called CHT. The other are SPL, HGS and new DD are there high performance subs which cost way more than CHT.

The best to know that if the standard series is so good than how about HGS and DD series. If you compare the best Velodyne to best SVS or any sub. Velodyne would still win by far and that would be the real comparison between apple to apple.

NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Sounds like you got a great deal on a good sub - almost half off retail - and good performance for under $400. You might have stated that in your original post if that was your point. I know how you feel, though, to have a piece of gear you own receive a good review in print. Even if you're confident in your choice, it is always nice to have someone else agree.

Around here the new .. well.. "standard" if you will.. are relatively-reasonably-priced subs that *easily* troll below 20Hz (not only those of foaming-at-the-mouth SVS groupies, but also several DIY examples). Tends to.. perhaps.. put a harsher-than-deserved spin on subs that don't match those numbers but no doubt serve their purpose and owners very well. If I hadn't been able to make my own, no way could I have bought an SVS or anything else in that performance/price range... and I would be thrilled to have found a deal like you found.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey hamzahsh,

I am also in Toronto and I was wondering where you found the CHT15 for $500. The best price I have seen is like 1100 dollarettes at future shop.
    Graham
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    if i dident get a svs or do a diy i would look tward velo they have a wide range of prices and are a very good entry sub to mid level. but if you want the best bang for the buck and you can swing it and want to buy a sub go svs. if you want insane bass and can buld things go diy. i am realey thinking of adding 2 more av15 to my setup. this might be alittle insane but i am a basshead.
  • hamzahsh
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gatemplin
    Hey hamzahsh,

I am also in Toronto and I was wondering where you found the CHT15 for $500. The best price I have seen is like 1100 dollarettes at future shop.

gatemplin actually Future Shop sells it for $1200 CDN. and it is one of the best subs for HT in Toronto to buy. Well I have already said "in my case" now this is confidential I'm not suppose to write this but for your peace of mind and being a honest guy and since we both from Toronto, I'll let you know which means I work for Best Buy Canada I got this amazing deal as a part of my staff purchase. Now let me tell you why it is great to work for Best Buy and Future Shop.

Future Shop sells it for $1200 which is too expensive. I planned to get this sub 2 years ago for $1200 before I was hired at Best Buy but when I got my job last year in Nov. 2002. I finally bought it in Aug. 2003. In U.S it sells for around $600 much better price.

Isn't it amazing price. If I were to buy this sub as a regular customer I would've paid $1200 + 15% + $35 delivery = $1415 CDN. in Total.

For BB & FS Employees: $500 + 15% + $20 delivery = $595 CDN. in Total.

Now tell me isn't it great to work at Best Buy or Future Shop. This is actually our biggest bonus. Employee Discout.

I saved $820 CDN. Now I can easily buy another Velodyne and have 2 Velodyne CHT-15 subs. But I don't have enough space. But in future I'll see If I switch into the different room.

Best Buy doesn't carry Velodyne only Future Shop does and the Sub is big and heavy about 83lbs. delivers directly from Warehouse. The Velodyne 12" and 10" look kids against 15".

You won't believe it. Haman Kardon 7200 sells for $2900 CDN. if I add 15% tax on it, it becomes $3335 CDN. at Future Shop and I can buy it through my employee discount for $1875 CDN. add 15% would make it $2156 CDN. Now I'm saving $1180 CDN. I'm saving $820 on Velo and $1180 on HK 7200. So techically I'm saving $2000 CDN. If a regular customer like you buy it, It'll cost you $1200+2900+15% tax = $4715 and for me $500+1875+15% tax = $2731

I'm saving $1984 CDN

If I spend $747 CDN. more then I can get another Velodyne CHT-15 and HK7200 set.

:D
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
  • hamzahsh
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    if i dident get a svs or do a diy i would look tward velo they have a wide range of prices and are a very good entry sub to mid level. but if you want the best bang for the buck and you can swing it and want to buy a sub go svs. if you want insane bass and can buld things go diy. i am realey thinking of adding 2 more av15 to my setup. this might be alittle insane but i am a basshead.

Velodyne is very popular brand and easy to find and you can always get to listen it before you buy. If you like the bass then try to find the best deal on the sub. SVS are great but for the price I think Velodyne is worth every penny especially if you're on the budget.
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by hamzahsh
    If you compare the best Velodyne to best SVS or any sub. Velodyne would still win by far and that would be the real comparison between apple to apple.

First, that is absolutely untrue.

Velodyne makes great subs, and they are a technology leader with the new DD servo circuitry, and I never hesitate to recommend them.

Velo's claim to fame is that the servo circuit can hold total harmonic distortion to ridiculously low levels (like 1%). That is true, but it also in the process limits the overall driver output. The HGS-18 was famous for a lower than expected output at 20 Hz due to the HGS circuit kicking in.

THD becomes audible in the bass region at about 10% for most people. The goal for a subwoofer manufacturer should be to keep THD at 10% or less at all volumes and frequencies within the safe operating range of the sub.

Dropping THD further just for the sake of it really does not yield audible benefits and it seriously limits sub output in the process, which IS audible.

That is why Tom Nousaine uses a 10% THD limit for his SPL testing. He measures the SPL at a distance of 2 meters in a 7,500 ft3 room. That is a huge room. As he says, expect 2-3 dB higher in a smaller room, with even better (2-3 Hz) extension.

The CHT-15 is capable of far more output at 25 Hz than 92 dB. You'll hear it start to distort above 92 dB, though - that's the rub. Regardless, the CHT-15 had a higher SPL at 25 Hz at a 10% THD limit than any other sub in the write-up, and that's really saying something.

As far as the best from Velo and SVS facing off: I'll take a bridged Crown K2 at 2500 watts, a Rane RE-17 Parametric EQ, and a B4-Plus over Velo's new DD18 anytime. I'll get far more output, a flatter response, deeper extension, and I'll keep THD below 10% (inaudible) in process - all for less $$.

And don't forget subs like the $25,000 Wilson XS with twin 19" woofers.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I would love to hear that Wilson Giant! *drools*

I seen the watch dog, i believe that is what it is called. Didn't look special. Single 10. Gigantic enclosure...beauty though...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The Watchdog sports a monstrous 12" driver comparable in size and depth to the SVS TV-12 Ultra driver. It might be even a bit heavier and deeper. A very serious driver indeed.

As for the XS, one only needs to read Jeff Fritz's review of this sub to come to the conclusion it must be included among the top subs in the world. At 700 pounds and genuine in room extension to 12 Hz and the ability to make the X-1 and Watt/Puppy look like Kindergarten in the bass department, one can draw no other conclusions. It is the size of a fridge, though. Wow.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The X-1 has bass that makes it feel like your clothes are about to walk off and leave you...lol....
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    hamzahsh,
    Thanks for letting me know. I was planning on getting the paradigm pw2200 for about 1000 CDN or the SVS 20-39pci. When you mentioned the velo for 500 I thought I might change my plans. I know about the great discounts for employees at future shop etc., my friend worked there and got me $ 350 off my Harman avr110.
    Graham
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Thought that was your step bro sid..

heh

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! Sean that is hilarious!! lol!
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    also the wilson is pasave and you dont get no amp. for that price i would get 4 tulumunts spelt it very bad and buy a custom box for them. and give them 1500wats a piece. that would be around4-5k and i bet you would not be able to turn it up.
  • hamzahsh
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gatemplin
    hamzahsh,
    Thanks for letting me know. I was planning on getting the paradigm pw2200 for about 1000 CDN or the SVS 20-39pci. When you mentioned the velo for 500 I thought I might change my plans. I know about the great discounts for employees at future shop etc., my friend worked there and got me $ 350 off my Harman avr110.

gatemplin if you're spending $1000 and more you should get SVS. SVS is a better brand for sub than paradigm and you can always get help in forum.

I love my Velodyne CHT-15 and I don't care how good SVS or any other brand out there to offer lot of bang for the buck and even double bang in my case.

The whole point of this thread to show others that Velodyne CHT-15 is the best bang for the buck. I'm sure you've seen the test report from Sound & Vision.

My advice to you is that you should listen first, no matter what you buy.

Good luck.
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Absolutely loved the "$/db" measuring stick... not.

Was interesting to see that Bag End is still around. Auditioned them years (and years) ago at a music store. They had one model at the time that was designed to travel well as a concert sub. Don't think I've ever seen them mentioned around here.

Ugly little bugger, but word had gotten out that it was giving the Hsu (which at the time was also a relatively new kid on the block) a run for its money. And it wasn't too bad, but was a little pricey for me at the time (around $600 as I recall).
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • hamzahsh
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette

Around here the new .. well.. "standard" if you will.. are relatively-reasonably-priced subs that *easily* troll below 20Hz (not only those of foaming-at-the-mouth SVS groupies.

Thanks burdette atleast you agree with me. and it is so funny what you've written
    "not only those of foaming-at-the mouth SVS groupies."

:D
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I wonder why SVS was not in the comparo?
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Because they are afraid of SVS....very afraid. :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    That and SVS does not spend big advertising bucks... Kind of an entry fee into these lead articles...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,652
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    That and SVS does not spend big advertising bucks... Kind of an entry fee into these lead articles...

BINGO!! That's what I was thinking