Wiring Model 70 Series II speakers

Options
Greg Lindsay
Greg Lindsay Posts: 2
edited December 2011 in Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
I just purchased 4 Model 70 Series II speakers and realized that there are four sets of connectors on the back of each speaker. In researching, I found that these are for Bi-Wiring. What if I don't want to bi-wire, will all four speakers work with just regular + - wiring?

Please advise as I want to do this right.
Thanks
Post edited by Greg Lindsay on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited August 2011
    Options
    As long as the jumper plate is connected between the top and bottom posts, using a single run of speaker cable will work perfectly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• djperez81
    djperez81 Posts: 388
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You can connect them to either top or bottom set of +- it wont make a difference. 3 monitor 70's thats a nice start. What are you uing to drive them?
    Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music.
    -Jimi Hendrix
  • Greg Lindsay
    Greg Lindsay Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This is a great relief that I don't have to bi-wire. You have taken a big burden off of my pocetbook:smile::smile:

To answer djperez81 question, I am driving with a Yamaha RX-3000 receiver.
  • drr59
    drr59 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So I also recently purchased a pair of Monitor 70's and was confused by the four wire plugs on the back. It has been 30 years since I bought a decent pair of speakers so banana plugs, etc., are all new to me. I figured out that a single run to my Onkyo TX-8050 receiver was sufficient, but I joined this forum to ask why the four plugs.

So please indulge a newbie and tell me just what is bi-wiring and what it would add to my listening pleasure.

Thanks!
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited September 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    As long as the jumper plate is connected between the top and bottom posts, using a single run of speaker cable will work perfectly.

If you're not bi-amping,you don't need the jumper plates.....correct?
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited September 2011
    Options
    pietro944 wrote: »
    If you're not bi-amping,you don't need the jumper plates.....correct?

Yes, you do. You don't need the jumper plates WHEN bi-amping.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited September 2011
    Options
    drr59 wrote: »

So please indulge a newbie and tell me just what is bi-wiring and what it would add to my listening pleasure.

Bi Wiring is where you run 2 sets of wires from a single set of terminals from the source to the two sets of binding posts. Your just doubling up the wire.

Bi Amping is where you use 2 channels from an avr or amplifer to run 1 speaker. The top set of posts are for the midrange and tweeter. The botom set is for the woofers. Idealy you use an active xo inbetween the avr and external amplifer. That way you can route only the low frequencys through one channel in and out of the amp to only the woofers. Same for the mids, and highs. It allows you more control over what drivers get what frequencys.

It isnt recomend to do bi amping with only an avr. Most avr's are rated with only 2 channels driven. So when you running a 5.1 system the actual wattage each speaker is seeing is below what the avr is rated at. Then when you bi amp normally you use the Rear L and R surround terminals ( if you have a 7.1 avr and only running a 5.1 setup). So now your powering a 5.1 system but have the load of a 7.1 system on the internal amplifer. When you turn on the extra 2 channels to bi amp you greatly reduce the output of the amplifer. So your doing more harm than good.

A Onkyo avr rated at 135w with 2 channels is actually putting out 122 watts per channel running a 5.1 system. When you turn on the rear surrounds to bi amp, running a 7.1 setup it drops clear down to 35-40 watts per channel. It is better to power the towers normally with 122watts vs only sending 40watts to the woofers in one channel and 40 watts to the mids and highs through the other.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • dlgreen4
    dlgreen4 Posts: 7
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'm looking for a new receiver and the TX-8050 is one I am considering. Could you tell me how you like yours and what it replaced?
    Thanks