MOMO mm12 (Whats the best amp?)

Options
jobjohnny
jobjohnny Posts: 2
edited September 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I need some good advice regarding the best amplifier I can get for my newly purchased Polk MM12 sub. I'm a little bit of a novice when it comes to car audio and the choice of amplifiers is overwhelming for me.
Could someone please recommend an amp in the priceranges of $150-$250; $250-$350 and $350-$500?

Also are there any brands to stay away from?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Since I am installing only one Polk mm12, I will need an amp capable of doing 500 watts RMS @4 ohms? Correct? In case it matters I have a Pioneer Premiere head unit P740MP. I assume I will need 4 gauge wiring for the amp and also a 1 farad capacitor.

Thanks for your help.
Post edited by jobjohnny on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Rockford 551S

MTX 502

MTX Blue Thunder 150.2 / 302 / 8302 --> www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com (old models great amps though)

Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2

also look at Cadence, Hifonics, USamps.

you're looking between 150 and 400 depending on whether you go new or refurbished.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I don't know about you guys but the Infinity Beta 300 Digital amp is still the best for me. They way they made that amp is just awsome. Hard to find now adays tho...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    Options
    i have mixed feelings on that amp.

when i first saw it back in the day - i thought it wsa cool as hell... and info wise it seems quite good...

however, everyone i've talked to since about it says they were horrible.

however i've yet to actually use / hear one - so i can't say... its one of those "unanswered audio mysteries" to me...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge