When is an intelligent guess as to when the new lsi replacments will be released

Options
Sephiroth
Sephiroth Posts: 8
edited September 2003 in Speakers
I'm curious to know if I were to buy the lsi line now wheather or not they would be replaced in 2 years. When would you guys guess on the replacments showing up?
Post edited by Sephiroth on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It'll be a while, Polk seems to like to change lines every 2-3 years. I will say they are ALWAYS in the development stages, and are ALWAYS looking for a newer, better product.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Sephiroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    If they like to change lines every 2 to 3 years that would suggest that a replacment is coming soon. The lsi line is 2 years old.
  • Sephiroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    by anytime soon do you mean in the next year, next 2 years or next 3 years.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Unless they decide to release that one ABOVE the LSi25, wow! What a monster!

We have no idea man....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Sephiroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    what a monster indeed. That would not be my concern though. Im all about knowing that I would want the new lsi line. Then I would know i spent close to 3000 on my current set of speakers that I had purchased 1.5 years before. That is a worry in the back of my mind.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I would say it will be more than 2 years. Possibly 3, maybe 4. Just rock on and enjoy em! lol! Then sell them to my 90% percent off ;)
  • Sephiroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Now thats what I want to hear.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2003
    Options
    In all honesty Sephiroth, there is no way to predict when these things are going to happen, but the more important point is that if you're happy with the way that the current LSi system sounds, get it and rock on.

You could live your life around the things that are 'just around the corner' but think how much you'll have missed by not finally taking the plunge on something that you currently enjoy.

The term for what you're describing is upgraditis, which is something that will bite you if you buy them now, or wait until they're re-designed to buy, only to find that you like the re-re-designed model years later........

Buy now, and move on..... :D
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Sephiroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I think your right. My worry was something ocurring within the next year. As long as I get over a year and a half out of them before the replacement shows I shouldn't have much of anything to regret.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Polk really needs to just.....

Start over and come out with another line other than the RT line. Mainly because they all sound to similar.....

Get some 96db Effec., 8 inch mid-bass woofers, good hq 1 inch dome tweeters. Nice cabs, with many choices in the color. Gold plated binding posts echoing that of the LSi line. Better internal wiring.....etc etc
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Yea, like put out some speakers like the old ls90's. They rock!
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Polk really needs to just.....

Start over and come out with another line other than the RT line. Mainly because they all sound to similar.....

Get some 96db Effec., 8 inch mid-bass woofers, good hq 1 inch dome tweeters. Nice cabs, with many choices in the color. Gold plated binding posts echoing that of the LSi line. Better internal wiring.....etc etc

I think polk is doing a great job and i will leave any future plans to the pro's, they know what sells and what sounds good IMO,

we can suggest till were blue in the face, Polk will listen and consider key points but in the end they will make what sells and sounds best at said price point..

Polk keep up the good work
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • DynamiteD
    DynamiteD Posts: 48
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I have the polk LS50's, CS400, RTi70's and recently the CSi40. I've listened to them all. I've A/B'd the LS50's and the RTi70's. I have to agree that besides the LS line Polk hasn't made a significant change in there speakers for years. The only real difference I hear in the LS50's and the RTi70's is the LS50's play louder with less volume. Once the volume levels are adjusted they sound almost identical. The metal tweeter on the LS50's are a tad brighter then the silk tweeter of the RTi70's. The CS400 vs the CSi40 yields the same results. I'm curious to hear the new RT line that's coming out to see if there's a difference, but more than likely it will be a new look with the same sound.
    Mains: Paradigm Studio 100's
    Center: Paradigm Studio CC570
    Rear: Paradigm Studio ADP 470's
    Subwoofer: Paradigm Servo 15 v.2
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-59TXi
    Amplification: California Audio Labs
    CL-2500 5X500
    DVD: Integra DPS 10.5
    Hitachi 51S715 51" CRT Rear Projection
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Exactly my point. The new tweeter however sounds significally better. Has the detail of the Tri Lam and the smoothness of the Silk. That is my best way of describing it. The new line does indeed look worlds better. ESPECIALLY the new cherry. Oh my! Makes me wanna do a trade for Cherry on my RTi70. Woooooo
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited September 2003
    Options
    My 2 cents,

If I could make a guess, it would be Spring of 2004. The trend I've seen is early spring or early fall. The current rti's( Rti70,Csi40, etc.) were short lived. I think it lasted only a year and a bit while the model before was 2 yrs.

Many factors are involved for when a company changes their current line-up. Market trends, competition, and bottom line - PROFIT.

I forsee a new Lsi design, probably a better cherry finish wood with a silver face plate. Out with the current base/carpet spikes and in with the more trendy "outside" spikes.

They'll may make it 8ohms because whenever people inquired about it (and there have been many), they were turned off from when they learned it wouldn't work with most receivers. Bottom line- NO BUISNESS FOR POLK.

They may go away from the thin boxy look and give it a few CURVES !:cool:

Lastly, about the price. If they want to keep it entry level high end than the price will stay about the same. Maybe a bit higher. They don't want to isolate current Polk owners and make it acheivable to buy/upgrade.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I don't see the LSis going 8 ohm. If they did they'd have to be BEYOND efficient. For example. An Outlaw Audio 7100 would run the LSi at 8 ohms with 100 watts, but at 4 ohms with 165 watts. Anyone wanting to get Polk's flagship speakers better have a flagship receiver and/or separates.
  • begbie
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Mazeroth
    Anyone wanting to get Polk's flagship speakers better have a flagship receiver and/or separates.

Unfortunately that can be something that will KILL a sale.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The LSi line isn't exactly pointing towards the average joe.....
  • Mazeroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Exactly. To make any GOOD speaker shine you will need to provide 150-200 watts RMS to the speaker, something that is HARD to do with an 8-ohm load. Getting even a 5 channel amp that can do 200 watts RMS at 8 ohms will run you on average $2000, just for the AMP.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    nvm, read it wrong......
  • begbie
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Exactly. To make any GOOD speaker shine you will need to provide 150-200 watts RMS to the speaker, something that is HARD to do with an 8-ohm load. Getting even a 5 channel amp that can do 200 watts RMS at 8 ohms will run you on average $2000, just for the AMP.

Wait a second? Am I missing something here?

A speaker with a 4ohm load actually puts more strain on an amplifier. A five channel amp is working much harder on 5 channels of 4ohm speakers than it would with 8ohms.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Mazeroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Right. It puts more strain on the amplifier, BUT the amplifier puts out roughly 50-100% MORE power in doing so. An 8-ohm driver can't accomplish this. Heck, speaker manufacturers can make a speaker any impedance they want to (ohm). They usually make them in accordance to which amp will be pushing them, and how much juice they'll need.
  • begbie
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Gotcha. makes sense.

Don't get me wrong Mazeroth. I'm all for the best equipment on the Lsi's. I'm just concernred Polk will cave in and make it that much more "mass market" by lowering the Lsi standards. :eek:
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Mazeroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    That's what I'm afraid of. I'm on the verge of ordering the whole LSi line myself, but won't have a room to put them in until we move into our new home which won't be for a few months. Then again there's the chance that the new line will come out and I'll miss buying the LSis at a good deal I can get them for now. I'm leaning more toward buying them now; I don't see the new ones making a quantum leap in performance, and asthetically speaking, I think the current LSis are knockouts!
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Well, the Car Audio folks thought the New Mom/DB line was a bad idea. That they are to cheap in comparison of the last line. Well...I have heard the new Momo/DB line, and I must say that speakers rules.....lol!

Just a thought, it may be a change for the better?
  • Mazeroth
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Haven't heard the new Momos but I have heard the new db line and it is awesome! High AND low-pass crossovers on a coax speaker!
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Then again there's the chance that the new line will come out and I'll miss buying the LSis at a good deal I can get them for now.

Mazeroth,

What's the good deal that you can get on the LSI's rite now?

Anyone else know what's the best price on the LSI15s right now...
  • Mazeroth
    edited September 2003
    Options