Help planning car sound upgrade.

Options
jlopeznew
jlopeznew Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Im planning to upgrade my factory sound to a better one.
That's what I want to get:

Head Unit: JVC KD-HDR40
Front Doors: Polk Audio MM6501 2-Way 6.5" (2 Speakers, 2 Tweeters and 2 Crossovers)
Rear Deck: Polk Audio MM651UM MM Series 6.5 (2 Speakers)
Amp: Polk Audio PA200.4 4-Channel

Will this work fine? Any suggestion? Will this Amp handle those speakers?
Post edited by jlopeznew on

Comments

• pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I would suggest this but this is only my opinion:

1. Skip the rear speakers, buy a sub instead. 10 inch SR at onlinecarstereo is currently $159. It would be a killer setup with that sub.

2. Unless you plan to run your speakers active, get a 2 channel amp, the 200.4 does not look like it would be nearly enough power. You want have at least 70% RMS which for those components would be 87.5 W per channel. If you went with the 250.2 you would have in between 90 and 125 W per channel, (speakers are 2.7ohm so its in between those two ratings).

3. Not sure about the headunit because I have never used JVC. Having the 7 band will be useful and is good for the money. The headunit also only has outputs for front and sub. You can't run rear speakers with it unless you just want bass/midbass from them. I'm not a fan of the limited LPF frequencies too if you were to get a sub, 72 Hz is too high to cross the sub.
    Check out this headunit
    http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX595/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X595.html?search=Kenwood+VENDORID113&tp=5684&nvpair=AG_Size|FFSingle-DIN

4. You can get a sub amp that will power the sub for easily 150 to 300. Alpine 1000 W from last year is on sale big time.

Having a sub will dramatically improve the quality of the sound from your components because you wouldn't be forcing them to play the deep bass that they struggle with and leaving them producing a clearer midrange.

I am advising you assuming that you want good sound quality not just getting really loud. You can never have too much power because you can always turn it own. Its worse to not have enough and when the windows are down and you crank it clipping the amp and blowing your speakers.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • EBAN44
    EBAN44 Posts: 39
    edited August 2011
    Options
    without a sub I would run just fronts and bridge the 4 channel. I went from giving around 75 watts to my MMs to 200-225 now and they hit hard and I had 6x9s in the back, took them out and got a lot better front stage but I do also have a momo DVC12 in trunk.
  • kolbywhite28
    kolbywhite28 Posts: 49
    edited September 2011
    Options
    How much is your budget for you car sound upgrade plan? It's a major factor to consider not unless money is not a problem for you :D