Denon 2900 vs 2200

Options
acdds
acdds Posts: 253
edited September 2003 in Electronics
Anyone know the differences between these two besides the price?
Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
DVD = Denon DV-2900
Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
(Carver m1.5t)
Center = CSi40
Side surrounds = Fxi30's
Sony 12" sub
TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
Rti38's
Post edited by acdds on

Comments

• malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Check this forum.
    I'm also wondering what to buy. they simple say that the DAC are generic off the shelf in 2200 vs customed made for 2900.
    Moreover 2200 has a new Mitsui chroma bug free decoder chip but the new 2900 also ship with the same chip.
    Check the denon site.

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I just got the 2900 from crutchfield scratch and dent dept for $849 with warranty. It is an incredible player. However, I still see a chroma bug problem with Saving Private Ryan (opening scene after the torch the concrete bunker) There is an artifact from the background flames that runs the entire length of th screen. I am waiting for my new Video Essentials calibration disk from Amazon.com to properly set-up everything so hopefully this will diminish this problem. I listened to Pink Floyd's DSOTHM and I heard things that I've never heard using the Sony 755. Also, I watched parts of a some other movies and the clarity of the picture and the range of the sound is stunning. I would definitely recommend this player to someone who is looking for a universal player.
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    ACDDS - Nice grab, that is an excellent player. Truly top of its game for the regular man. You know you have commited sacralidge by saying the 2900 displayed a fault right? :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The 2900 is indeed chroma bug free in that the MPEG decoder no longer introduces a chroma channel upsampling error into the video stream.

The new MPEG decoder does not, however, correct for encoded chroma errors inherent to the disc. This is known as the 3:2 alternating flag chroma encoding error (or something like that, going from memory). I like to think of it as the "other" Chroma Bug.

The absolute worst example I have seen of this is Dog Soldiers which is laden with this problem. Some Disney DVDs have this error too. It's not the Denon's fault; it is reading and displaying exactly what is encoded on the disc.

To be fair, Denon COULD have forced the MPEG decoder to recognize this encoding problem and correct for it, but they chose not too. Shame on them.

But whatever you saw in SPR is on the disc, not created by the player. And you are correct, PQ and SQ IS stunning. This is one amazing player.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited September 2003
    Options
    acdds

I get the same problem with that SPR scene. I had it with my old Sony dvd, it still shows up with my fairly new 2900, and I just checked it out on my new Panasonic DMR-E100 dvd recorder. Same story. I think that is a overall crappy scene. I also get what seems to be artifacts from the concrete bunker walls. Sort of a pale white out effect.

I agree with Dr. Spec, ( now is that not a safe bet? Seems he is always right! ) This must be a dvd problem. I have not had any other problems with this player. I did have to return my first 2900 to Crutchfield. I could not get a picture through my Krell Showcase pre. It worked fine through my 3802. Strange stuff. Crutchfield sent me this 2900 and it works fine. It is one fine player. The only regret I have concerning the 2900 is that I did not wait and get the 5900.

joe
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I believe that Spielberg was trying to emulate war photos which had the verticle streaks. He intentionally added these in SPR, at least that is what I read somewhere.
    Graham
  • Shell
    Shell Posts: 134
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I am glad I read this post. I did not know Denon came out with a cheaper multi player system. I read the specs closely and the only difference I can see is the DAC that was mentioned above.

2200 • Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD 1791 Audio DACs that
    decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD

2900• DENON designed, Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD-1790
    Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD

My question is, is a DAC that looks to do the same thing worth $318 more? At yahoo shopping you can get a Denon 2900 for $813 while the Denon 2200 is $495.