Going for the Audison Bit Ten

pentoncm
pentoncm Posts: 379
edited August 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I will be returning my Alpine cda105 and imprint to crutchfield. I will be ordering the new Audison Bit Ten from my local audio shop.

The Bit Ten has:

1. 5 channel output (i'll be running two way active up front and the fifth for my sub)

2. Crossovers including 6-24db/octave in HPF,LPF, or BPF configuration.

3. Time alignment in .02ms increments up to 15ms.

4. 31 band equalizer available on each channel.

The processor will cost around $400 to $450.
Audison Bit Ten
Kenwood X595
Polk MM6501
Polk MM1240
Mtx 704x
Alpine MRX50
Post edited by pentoncm on

Comments

• EBAN44
    EBAN44 Posts: 39
    edited August 2011
    What didnt you like about the imprint? I know its not the same one but I have been looking at getting the newer alpine PXA H660. Which does about the same thing without the need for a new alpine head unit. The majority of the reviews I have read all raved about the transition, but just need to do enough testing locations.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2011
    If Im not mistaken, the Imprint does most of the work for you and you cant tweak as much as in a dedicated processor like the old H700. Alpine is coming out with a new one but its damn near $1000!!! That Bit Ten looks pretty good for $450 so long as the time alignment and crossover are also channel independent.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • pentoncm
    edited August 2011
    The imprint that I am referring to you is the pxa-H100 that adds on to receivers. It does the imprint auto eq or unlocks 5 band parametric eq.

I haven't actually hooked it up, but I am returning it because I don't like the idea of automatically eq'ing my car and not being able to make fine adjustments. The main problem with imprint in my opinion is that it generally produces a flat frequency response in your car. This is actually a bad thing. It would be optimal if we heard frequencies evenly across the spectrum but we don't. As you know bass is the hardest to hear, followed by midbass and so on. We are actually most sensitive to frequencies around 3-4 kHz. Many reviewers have complained that the midbass is reduced too much taking out the punch in the music. Others have complained about sibilance issues. If you flatten the curve, the midbass will seem thin and since you hear 1-4kHz more so than the others those will stand out.

You also can't adjust the crossovers or manage the TA while the Imprint Curve is active.

In summary I just prefer to have manual adjustments over autoeq.

Go to this link to see how we hear.
    http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
    There is a ear sensitivity plot on the lower right side of the page.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • pentoncm
    edited August 2011
    Yes the TA and crossover are channel independent.

Its basically a Bit One with reduced output channels, 8 vs. 5.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2011
    Sounds like a good product and perfect for a 2way+sub. Can you provide a link? Imprint is more of an auto tune program aka the the ms8. I'd take a diy processor anyday.
  • pentoncm
    edited August 2011
    I have attached the pdf from Audison.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited August 2011
    drool... bit ten.. ummm...

i have the 9887 with imprint... i would prefer the bit ten or the three sixty v2. why?
    imprint locks you into that specific model. yes, there is the PXA.. but both the PXA and builtin imprint in the 9887 offer you very little user configs.

one of my main gripes is imaging. they set the centr in front of you. for most ppl, that's what they want, but not me.. and not IASCA. i want the centr at the centre of my dash. i set my TA manually to achive this but then i need to turn imprint OFF.

and to be honest, the puny 5 band eq cannot give me a satisfactory tune. when the imprint is ON... it uses (according to alpine.. 500 points of EQ and TA corrections).

so tonality is better with imprint but imaging poor for the IASCA ppl. leaves you with an condensed stage on driver side and a wide stage towards passenger.