Speaker Baffles

Kazimir
Kazimir Posts: 51
edited August 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
What is the best material for a speaker baffle? I have decided to glass the sub, so I will be building my amp rack out of plywood (or some other lighter wood) now. Thus I will not have extra MDF for a baffle and would prefer not to buy a whole sheet for 2 mid baffles and a sub baffle ring.

I have heard of people using the plastic cutting boards. Or is plywood good for a baffle, or ...? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Post edited by Kazimir on

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2011
    If you are looking for the best alternative that is understandable, but the best material is MDF.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2011
    Check out Home Depot. Theyve got small sheets of MDF from 1/4" up to 1". They also have birch plywood which is a little more expensive but great for speakers. I actually built a box out of it once for a sub cause its so much more rigid than regular MDF that I was able to use thinner wood than I wouldve had to use with MDF and this saved me quite a bit of space.

My last couple installs, I just used the spacers that came with the speakers. They fit perfectly, saved me a lot of time and seemed to work just as well. I wrapped them with a couple layers of Dynamat for good measure but never had an issue.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Kazimir
    Kazimir Posts: 51
    edited August 2011
    Nice, Ill have to look into that. Thanks for the help. Hoping the rest of my stuff finally gets here tomorrow, then on to building the rack. Main thing I need are the cables to get here... Currently have my dash, drivers seat, and center console in the car. Its been like that for 6 weeks... Really want it done at this point. As long as i can get the last cables run under the carpet, it can all go back in.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2011
    I use cutting boards. Stay away from MDF in doors. It's more trouble than it's worth. Birch ply would do the trick though.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it