XM question

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
im kinda confused on installing this
it has the yellow power wire on the ip-bus wire
how do i connect the power wire to the hu?
do i just use a butt connector and put the yellow wire from the hu and the yellow wire for the tuner on one side and the wire coming from the harness on the other?
i dunno....it just seems kinda small to be running more than one thing off of it
the instructions to this thing suck
i know its probably a dumb question...but i dont want to mess it up
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    one more thing, would it be better to run the ip-bus cable by the power wire going to the amp or the rca cables?
    or does it matter?
    for now im going to put it by the power wire b/c the power wire runs under where im putting the tuner
    so hopefully i guessed right and wont have to pull the carpet up again
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    while im at it, i have one more thing to ask
    for my sub set up
    i have 2 amps...one for each sub
    but 1 sub pre out
    im running the rca from the preout to the amps
    question is:
    would it be better to "piggy back" or use the y-splitters...or does it really matter?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    i have found that piggy backing (using the "preamp out" of one amp and umping to the next apm) results in a decreased preamp voltage for the amp which is jumped off hte first one.

its not current, its actually voltage -- i went to so far as to do double blind testing with other people and they all noticed increased performance with the y splitters.

so while splitters look **** - they sound better and give you a more true preout line.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    and the xm stuff?
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    its taking me way too long to do the wiring...i really dont know why
    i think for one is im doing it alone and two after i took the seats out it started raining so the carpet had to stay and i had to fold it inside the truck and work around it
    im almost done though
    and ive only had to make 2 trips into town
    one for a crimp ring terminal to hook it up to the battery
    didnt have them at radio shack...so i went to orielly's and they had them
    also for some screws for the ground and to mount the fuse holder inside the engine compartment
    the second was for a torx bit to get the seat belts out...my dad borrowed my other one...had it in his tool box...and he had 2 tool boxes(portable ones...one had 2 trays, one had 3 and the top that opened up)in the back of his truck
    both stolen last week
    both loaded to the max with tools...you couldnt use the handle...it would break trying to pick it up
    that was probably $1000+ worth of individual tools hes collected since he was younger til now
    only unexpected surprises were
    1. ordered the wrong capacitor
    2. the rockford fosgate fused distro blocks dont
    have the 1/0awg input...but 4awg
    but no biggy
    only thing i need now is to get the right cap...and some screws to mount the distro blocks
    some more 1/0 crimp ring terminals to hook up to the cap
    everything is going well...im almost done with the wirng...expecting amps tuesday...
    latest that everything will be installed...saturday
    i will have at least one sub/amp running by wednesday
    lol
    -Cody
  • JustinGoodie
    JustinGoodie Posts: 18
    edited October 2003
    well, it looks like you've been waiting a while to get your questions on XM answered, but i can help, i just installed this in my car...

what you want to do, is somehow splice the yellow power wire coming off the IP bus cable into the (should be) yellow wire that is the constant 12v powering your HU. i would suggest using a splice connector that slips right over the existing wire, and you just slide the other one (power wire going to the XM box) into the connector and squeeze with pliers. I know it sounds a little weird to give the box constant 12v, but that's the way it's supposed to be hooked up. i haven't had any power issues nor do i know of anyone having any.

fairly simple install without the FM modulator (even with this, it's simple cable routing). but anyways, good luck, and i'm sure you'll like XM, i haven't listened to regular FM, or for that matter, barely any CD's anymore, since i've gotten XM. gotta love the comedy channel, it's the perfect channel for a long drive, or during rush hour :cool:
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited October 2003
    thanks, but ive had it for about a week already
    i used butt connectors and connected it to the back of the HU
    the comedy channel is pretty funny...its one of my presets...150 or something like that
    thanks anyways
    -Cody