LSiM707 Demo Gathering San Diego

dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,050
edited August 2011 in Gatherings & Special Events
Mark has graciously offered me the opportunity to pick up the LSiM707's from Polk in Vista and I am opening up my home for fellow Polkies to get their ears on them.

No date is set yet but I plan to have the gathering some time in August so that the speakers can make their way eastward in a reasonable time. For starters, please post your interest and weekend dates you are available.

Since I won't get the speakers until sometime this week and need some time to get them dialed in, I'm thinking that Saturday the 20th is a reasonable date. That will allow enough time to pull this off and make it a success.

I'm hoping for a big turnout. There's plenty of room. The speakers will be in a 20' x 30' listening area and there is plenty of parking so let's make this a big event.

Best regards,
doug
____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
Post edited by dpowell on

Comments

• scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited July 2011
    congrats and i hate you.

seriously, very generous of you to welcome polkies to quiver along.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited July 2011
    I am interested, need any other stuff for the demo?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited July 2011
    I am also interested, and any weekend works for me. I can possibly bring some gear as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    edited July 2011
    Great and thanks for the gear offerings! Go ahead and throw out what you can bring so we can get a list going.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    edited July 2011
    The 20th looks good to me. The wife will be out of town so I don't even need to ask permission. Just find a sitter for the kids "hello grand parents".:biggrin:
    cembros Posts: 172
    edited August 2011
    I would really love to hear these. I can only imagine how sweet they sound.
  • dpowell
    edited August 2011
    As far as gear is concerned, I plan to have these set up with the following:

Anthem Pre2L tube preamp
    Dual Parasound HCA-1200ii SS amps; Provides 250Wpc @ 8Ohms
    Marantz SA-15S2 SACD player
    MIT Shotgun S3 IC's
    Signal Cable Magic Power Cords connected to a PS Audio Power Port Premier

Nice to haves if other members can help out:
    MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker cables (I currently have MIT T2 cables)
    Another power amp to switch out for comparison (200Wpc@8Ohms minimum)
    Solid State Preamp for comparison.
    Redbook and SACD's
    Concert DVD's (in case someone wants to test drive the SRT's)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2011
    If my monoblocks are working by then, I will bring them along with my Sunfire tube pre and my PX-3
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited August 2011
    Spam Post made by LixAUdixHoiff reported for deletion!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited August 2011
    Arggh....20th won't work for me, our dojo is hosting a seminar all that weekend and I'm head coordinator.

You guys know the drill - pics and a write up! Have fun and don't burn the steaks! :biggrin:

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • dpowell
    edited August 2011
    The 20th is not set in concrete yet. The 27th is also an option.
  • civilian
    edited August 2011
    dpowell wrote: »
    Concert DVD's (in case someone wants to test drive the SRT's)

You mean someone besides me? hehe
    I'll bring something good to watch/listen. DVD only no BR?
    edited August 2011
    Blu Ray is even better. :smile:
  • dpowell
    edited August 2011
    I've received input from a couple of members that Sundays would work better. Let me know. How does the 28th look?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2011
    Perfect for me...

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2011
    Guys, no pissing on anything, but try and keep this LSiM focused, not just another Polk gathering. SRT, SDA, Monitors, RT, etc have all already had their day. This is a NEW day. What Polk is doing here is unprecedented. Rock it. Rock it hard with LSiM and enjoy the opportunity given.

Give real, honest, thought out feedback, that's the payment Polk HQ wants in return.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dpowell
    edited August 2011
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Guys, no pissing on anything, but try and keep this LSiM focused, not just another Polk gathering. SRT, SDA, Monitors, RT, etc have all already had their day. This is a NEW day. What Polk is doing here is unprecedented. Rock it. Rock it hard with LSiM and enjoy the opportunity given.

Give real, honest, thought out feedback, that's the payment Polk HQ wants in return.

Cheers,
    Russ

That is absolutely the intent. I'm looking for a group of people to attend that will make the committment to a full day of getting the most out of the LSiM's.

That said, I won't turn down a request from anyone who wants to hear the SRT's. Even though they 'had their day', they are a speaker worth experiencing and I'm guessing the opportunity doesn't present itself very often to most members.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited August 2011
    Possibly SRT, LSiM707 and LSi25 side by side Demo?

Who knows, you'll hand me over the SRT and kept LsiM707 instead.

It is possible the next guy picking up from you will be in serious trouble. :biggrin:

You got Lsi25 or can anyone bring a pair?
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2011
    It would not be complete without testing them against a few others. I understand this is all about the LSiM's, but I think that waht everyone want's to know is how well do they stack up against the past and against other brands.

• dpowell
    edited August 2011
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Possibly SRT, LSiM707 and LSi25 side by side Demo?

Who knows, you'll hand me over the SRT and kept LsiM707 instead.

It is possible the next guy picking up from you will be in serious trouble. :biggrin:

You got Lsi25 or can anyone bring a pair?

Who knows, I might just not hand ANY speakers over to anyone including the LSiM's! :biggrin:

Norm Apter has attended the last two gatherings and has a stellar pair of modded LSi9's that would make a great comparison. Haven't heard from him yet though.....
  • dpowell
    edited August 2011
    It would not be complete without testing them against a few others. I understand this is all about the LSiM's, but I think that waht everyone want's to know is how well do they stack up against the past and against other brands.

I agree. The nice thing about my preamp is that it has two sets of pre-outs so we could actually switch quickly between speakers if need be. My third Parasound would provide an identical amplifier for the comparison speakers making it a very fair evaluation.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2011
    It's your demo Doug so run with it as you see fit. I think its important for folks to hear the SRT since it's just as rare right now.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dpowell
    edited August 2011
    Thanks Mark. Agreed on the SRT's. I'm arranging for pickup tomorrow afternoon.
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2011
    dpowell wrote: »
    Thanks Mark. Agreed on the SRT's. I'm arranging for pickup tomorrow afternoon.
    You guys are blessed, enjoy! :cool:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • civilian
    edited August 2011
    FWIW Sundays are a no go for me as our Pastor is retiring on the 28th, and I am not missing any of his last few sermons, as preaching is truly his gift.
    Of course I am only 1 guy, possibly bring along another.
    edited August 2011
    They're here!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2011
    They don't even look like kissin' cousins.:tongue:

But some better pics are in order (to dark)as I can barely tell what they are.

Congrats, and updates on initial impressions please.

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2011
    John is spot-on...we demand better, sexier pictures :biggrin:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dpowell
    edited August 2011
    I apoligize for the terrible pictures. The sun was setting behind those windows and made it impossible to get good shots. :mad:
  • edoggrc51
    edoggrc51 Posts: 584
    edited August 2011
    Sweet looking speakers! Cant wait to get my hands on them!
    Denon 4311ci
    MINIdsp OPEN-DRC
    XPR-5
    LS6 Line Arrays
    LS-C Center Channel
    A/V-1RS Surounds
    Quad DIY LMS Ultra subs (powered by dual IPR-7500 amps)
    Panny AE-8000u
    2:35 110in Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Belkin PF60
    Harmony ONE

2ch: Emotiva Stealth 8's, Airport Express