Good Amp for Highs

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
330watt each peak 6x9's = 660watts
200watt each peak 5 1/4's = 400watts

ill spend up to 150$/200$ if its worth it. lookin for a good quality amp that if its possible have VU Meters that glow. somethin that wont overheat or break anytime soon. an maybe a good warrenty if there is one.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    we cant do anything with that
    peak is useless when youre trying to pick amps
    peak is useless period
    whats the rms ratings of your speakers?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    you sound like an absolute auto-infantile. ...have a beer and come back.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    Don't be so hard on the guy - he IS willing to spend "up to" $150 or $200. OK, up to is a max. so which is it? $150 RMS, peak of $200??? let's see... peak $ is 10 log of $ in / $ out or is it 20 log?

For the VU meters, print out some clip art and paste it on the dash. Move your head back and forth w/ the music and it will LOOK like the real thing. Chicks always love a guy with an imagination...

In all honesty, a 4 channel 50 W/ch entry level amp should be avail. in his price range. check online stores
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    k i like the meter joke.... oh yea. 6x9s 110rms each 5 1/4 100rms each wonderin if the crunch drive-v series amp is alright? like 800watt or some ****? :\
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    very basic 4 channel -- entry level -- Profile California CA600

it does like 75 x 4 into 4 ohms.

retail is $159 at www.crutchfield.com

Crunch isn't worth the case its built in.
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    here's another question for you what brand are the speakers cause that cann affect how you want to power them too. most decent **** will need more than they say to sound their best but if you got some crappy **** w/o knowing it (like your question about crunch for instance) you won't nesicarly want a lot of power and may be better off with something like 50x4 over a 75x4
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited September 2003
    Sidenote: Strange to me how Crunch isn't worth the case it's built in but Hifonics is a great amp. Made by the same company. I know most companies do this but it just baffles me everytime.
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    Infinity Kappa's
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2003
    yea but profile sounds kinda cheap an always thought they were.. what is a good quality amp
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    try us acoustics...theyre pretty cheap...pretty reliable amps
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2003
    Yes Crunch and Hifonics are made by Maxxsonic. However, they are completely different lines of equipment. If I remember correctly, Maxxsonics was not the original owner of Hifonics either. Hifonics has always been a quality product. Crunch has been a very, very cheap product line. The evidence is in the specifications and there for everyone to see.

If Wocksolid420 wants to go that way and totally ignore what 4 out of 5 people have told him then that is his problem.

Profile is far beyond anything Crunch has to offer. The main thing that has been missed here is that those wattage numbers mean nothing if the amp doesn't put up numbers to back them up. Crunch amps don't, Profile does. Yes, Profile is a cheap alternative but they are a good, cheap alternative. They are affordable and they are reliable and that is from experience. If you are on a budget, that is the FIRST amplifier I will recoomend to anyone on a tight budget.

What I don't understand is why you want to power Infinity Kappas with cheap Crunch power? That is like trying to drive a Jaguar with a Yugo engine. On top of that the Kappas are notouriously power hungry and make heavy demands on the amplifiers they are attached to. The Profile recommended amp will power theose Kappas well enough and be fairly clean about it too. I can't say the same for Crunch at all.

If you want to use crap to power your expensive speakers then that is what you are going to get, crap sound.

Why not try stopping your attempt to impress everyone, ask some serious, well-thought out questions and do some research on your own instead of asking blind questions. Your questions are so wide open and full of so many errors, there isn't enough space in a single post to correct every inaccuracy AND answer your questions.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited September 2003
    I just want to point out that Crunch really does suck. So we can say 5 out of 5.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    with the rebates that sounddomain has had lately you can probably get a hifonics 60 - 75 x 4 nemesis for something like 200-ish bucks.

as far as Jstas's comments - I agree whole heartedly and more than anything it is my similar feelings that have made my replies short and blunt.

Profile CA amps are probably the only 75 x 4 amp for 150 bucks that i'd use unless you want to consider the old Radio Shack ones put out by Mitek and Pioneer on sub-contracts.

Brand differences are common -- just because Maxxsonic makes Crunch and Hifonics does not mean that they are anything alike.

Mitek builds Coustic, Mtx, and Xtant.

I would pretty much say at this point I'd never buy a Coustic... however, I am happy with Mtx gear and I really really really like the A series Xtant stuff -- its not breaking the bank but it has some quality attributes that the Mtx stuff does not.

as far as other amps -- here ...

Hifonics Nemesis NX880
    100 x 4 rms into 4 ohms
    260 bucks after instant rebate
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/HIFNX880

Lightning Audio Bolt 400.4
    75 x 4 into 4 ohms
    180 bucks
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/LITB24004

while the next one is low on power - its high on quality -- really high -- i own it, and love it. it sounds fantastic, has regulated power supply and output stage, and is one of the nicest 4 channel amps i've ever owned -- use it to push a couple EXIII 6x9's and quart fronts.
    Xtant A4004
    50 x 4 @ 4 ohms
    250 bucks on clearance
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/XTAA4004T