Do Amplifiers Wear Out Over Time?

Mr. Mojo
Mr. Mojo Posts: 53
edited September 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 9 year old Alpine MVRF 4 channel amp that still sounds good.
I'm starting to look into getting a new car and was wondering if I should just go with a new amp or move over the current one.
Any ideas about amp longevity?
Thanks for any help.
Post edited by Mr. Mojo on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    edited July 2011
    Yes they do but it's usually decades worth of time. Your current amp is probably A-OK for using with your new car.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2011
    If it ain't broke....of course if you want to switch amps to get more power, that is a different story. An amp of decent build quality and one that is kept within its limits, can last for a long time.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited July 2011
    Everything wears out, eventually. If you aren't having issues with the amp and you like it, I say stick with it.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited July 2011
    wears out?
    if you meant "less power over time" i would say no.

you may get problems being introduced over time. as the OP said, a good amp would last years on end once installed and treated properly.

most time we get accustomed to the loudness overtime (even within one week!) and feel that the amp is playing lower. at the shop, this happened frequently, with customers wanting "something louder" a mere month after their install.
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited July 2011
    power suppley capacitors wear out and you will get less power to the speakers , but that takes like 8 years .
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited July 2011
    ^^^^ reported ^^^^
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited July 2011
    Somtimes the binding posts cant snap
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2011
    Somtimes the binding posts can snap

In car audio, we normally dont use banana plugs. So no fear of the binding posts snapping off. :biggrin:
  • kolbywhite28
    kolbywhite28 Posts: 49
    edited September 2011
    Quality and power may degrade over time so proper cleaning and maintenance is needed if you want your amplifiers go a long way.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2011
    My original Rotel 50wpc amp purchased in 1990 lasted for 18 years as did the cd player purchased with it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2