Question on RM6000 Setup

Options
catkison
catkison Posts: 1
edited November 2001 in Technical/Setup
Hello All,

I had a quick question I wanted to run by all the experts out there :)

I recently got a pretty good package deal on the RM6000's and a Sony STRDE975 receiver. I basically got the receiver for a $100.

I had two questions on the setup.

1) The Sony's power rating is listed as 110W x 5, 110W x 2 @ 8 Ohms. There is a 4 ohm / 8 ohm switch on the amp. Should I be running it at 4 or 8 ohms?

2) The speakers are rated at 100W max. Will using them with the above amp cause any problems considering the receivers power is higher then the speakers (basically, will I blow the speakers)?

I have a feeling the Sony's power rating is not real clean when running all channels considering they say the its at 1000HZ, 110W x 5 into 8W. So I doubt there will be a problem using the RM6000 speakers, but I just wanted second opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by catkison on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    Options
    set your switch to 8 ohms to run them to yous 6000's. you won't blow your speakers bye running 110W to them, you'll blow them bye trying to play them too loud with an ineffiecient amplifier. hook them up, play them loud. when you hear them starting to distort, you know that you're trying to push your amp too hard, but as for doing any damage other than that, don't worry about it, the 6000's and your reciever will be totally compatible.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy the RM6000 system. Be sure to follow the speaker connection suggestions found in the RM6000 owner's manual. I believe it would be best to set the Sony at the 4 ohm position, it would allow the Sony to work with a lower speaker impedance better.
    Regards, Ken Swauger