Best way to bond granite to aluminum

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,135
edited July 2011 in The Clubhouse
The time has come to consider the best way to securely attach the granite deck of my amplifiers to the aluminum shell of the chassis. Anyone have recommendations as to the best method for bonding the two together? Once I have assembled the two pieces, taking them apart again will not be needed, even if I have to service the amps in the future.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by nooshinjohn on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,858
    edited July 2011
    Options
    A high grade marine epoxy such as West Systems will do it, but epoxy doesn't flex and with the heat/cooling cycles those amps will go through I would look for something other than an epoxy. This product seems better suited, http://www.ct1ltd.com/how-to-stick-metal-to-stone.html
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Stainless steel bolts~
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited July 2011
    Options
    My first thought was some type of construction adhesive as Jesse'd linked to. You'll have to account for a noticeable thickness of it during assembly, of course. I'd figure in it adding 1/16" under each panel. If the design allows that, I think it's a real sly way to add a degree of constrained layer damping to the chassis.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited July 2011
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    Stainless steel bolts~

This is how I'd go.

I'd go one step further though and get sheets of neoprene gasket material from an auto parts store to sammich between the metal and stone. Stop vibrations and resonances as well as squeaks. Use carriage bolts so you don't get unfinished bolt heads sticking out of the bottom of the stone. Flat washer, lock washer, loctite and nut on the inside placed strategically. You say you'll never have to take it apart again but what happens when you actually do have to take it apart again?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I know Wurthusa.com makes a panal bond rated for aluminum , construction adhesive may work but I would write Loctite and ask them .
    But my major concern is heat transfer from the amps (is this safe) .
    But I think the bolts going through the granite than the center of the feet with a air gap is best , maybe remove the amp from the alum cage than bolt down the cage and reinstall the amp on it ..
    In the granite I would drill than step bore a spot so the bolt heads dont protrude down .
    1) we dont want vibration going through the bolts .
    2) nice rubber bumpers over the stepbore holes would be a nice clean setup .
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,135
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    This is how I'd go.

I'd go one step further though and get sheets of neoprene gasket material from an auto parts store to sammich between the metal and stone. Stop vibrations and resonances as well as squeaks. Use carriage bolts so you don't get unfinished bolt heads sticking out of the bottom of the stone. Flat washer, lock washer, loctite and nut on the inside placed strategically. You say you'll never have to take it apart again but what happens when you actually do have to take it apart again?

The more I look at this, the more your idea makes sense John. I think what I will do is make a bed for the granite to rest on out of Armacell, and then run a bead of black sealer around the edge, just under the lip of the granite. I have through-holes already in place for the transformers, so I will use these to secure the granite in place. I am making cradles for the transformers to sit on so they do not contact the granite directly in any way.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Deleted.
    Too much **** to list....
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dow 799 silicon sealant. Make sure you wipe down the aluminum surface well with denatured alcohol before applying the sealant. gun the sealant in a serpentine pattern on the aluminum and set the granite on it. Clamping probably won't be necessary if the granite is heavy enough. Let the sealant cure for 24 hours, then cut any that squeezed out flush with a razor blade. It will be a permanant bond that is flexable enough to allow some expansion and contraction. If you want vibration damping too, put a couple of 1/4" spacers between the stone and aluminum and lots more sealant to form a 1/4" bed of sealant.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited July 2011
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    Stainless steel bolts~

Yes! With rubber washers for dampening.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,545
    edited July 2011
    Options
    pics or it didnt happen :wink:. Been waiting to see your other thread re-appear with pics of the new electronics :smile:.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    edited July 2011
    Options
    steel and aluminum will corrode each other normally so i take it the chromium content of stainless steel negates this?
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited July 2011
    Options
    dont know about stainless but I figure indoors it should last forever , how about titanium bolts ?
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    edited July 2011
    Options
    GE clear silicone. That is what is used to attach granite countertops in kitchens, and you will have the added bonus of resilience. The up side is that if you ever need to remove the granite the silicone can be easily cut with a utility knife!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I really doubt corrosion will be a problem. If the worry is that much, neoprene washers under the stainless steel washers and make the holes in the aluminum larger than the bolts. If they aren't touching, it won't matter.

Another option is to get aluminum bolts. They are out there, they use them for marine applications and such. They are more expensive and not as nicely finished as stainless steel though. Might have to get them online.

http://www.aluminumfastener.com/
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!