Newbie Sub questions. What do I really need? DIY or buy?

Options
This is my first real post here, so let me tell you where I'm coming from. I am a university student (read: poor) and last week I made the mistake of going into Circuit City's speaker room to "just look" and found myself coming home with a couple of Polk R15s against my better judgement. :rolleyes: Hooked them up to my Onkyo TX8211 stereo receiver (8ohm, 50W/ch) and suddenly I could hear sounds my old crappy speakers never played. :D Suddenly I started dreaming of 'better speakers' and 'good subwoofer' and all sorts of things I shouldn't be dreaming about.

So I am a chap with entry level speakers who wants a decent budget sub to go with the R15s. My receiver doesn't have a separate sub-out so the speakers will have to be connected thru the sub. Use is purely for music in my bedroom. No DVDs. The bedroom is small - 12x10x9 feet. Concrete walls on 3 sides in basement apartment , 1 wall is a 8 ft wide wood doored closet, wall-to-wall carpet. It is a soft diffusive room.

Another thing is - I don't want loud. I can't play loud music in this apt. Can't make the walls vibrate. Also I am not that concerned about the range as much as quality. Cost is also a big factor. I looked at the subs in CC and saw that the recommended sub for the R15s is PSW202. From reading these forums and other reviews I reckon that the 202 is a bit of a weenie. The bigger ones are too expensive for me. On the other hand, I don't need extreme bass. I don't listen to rap. Mostly jazz and folk and rock. My listening position will be approx. 8 feet from the sub. I don't know what to get.

So what would you recommend me? My budget is low. I'd prefer something between $100-150. Will doing a DIY entry-level sub save me some money? I am pretty good at woodworking (been building model planes and boats since I was a kiddie) and constructing a sub box is possible for me if I know what to do inside. I've been reading the posts here and some websites about construction and design of subs, downloaded a freeware software for sub design that someone posted a link to. Read and saw photos of sub construction. So I have a basic idea of how to do a DIY sub, but would need help on the details and finer points if I go that route. But I am getting ahead of myself - first, I'd like your opinions about what do for someone in my position - buy or DIY?

If DIY, I'll pose more specific questions later. If buy, I'd appreciate some specific recommendations. Sorry for the long winded post but I had to give a bit of background so you know where I was coming from and what my main needs and concerns are. Thanks! :)
The lunatic is in my head.
Post edited by bluesfusion on

Comments

• Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited September 2003
    Options
    In my opinion, here is what I would do. For the price range you are looking at I would go for the PSW 202. A DIY sub may run a little more from the post I have read BUT, you may be able to DIY. Haven't had much experience with DIY but from what I've seen a DIY may run in the $400 price range. With the PSW, as long as its properly calibrated, it should and will blend well with the speakers you bought. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Blues, for the price it'd be hard to beat this to go with your R15s, even with DIY.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

I concur, the PSW202 really is a bargain at free or <$100. I use the crap out of mine, due to having no other option :) and it does what it is suppossed to. Not an amazing subwoofer, but with a couple tweaks it is not 2 shabby. Look on Ebay for it.

EDIT: The sub mentioned above doesn't look half bad. Just don'y but a sub with <8" woofer, that is just silly ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum fellow cheapskate!

I don't think you'll need a "killer" sub. For the money DIY would be the way to go (vs new manufactured). Since you aren't planning on using an amplified sub your cost should be minimal. A sonotube, some stuffing, wood, a driver, and a cheap crossover.

I bought this crossover not long ago. I haven't tried it yet, but it was a square deal. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045490323&category=18800

Good luck.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I second the Parts Express 10incher. PE sold a model last year and then discontinued it, and a LOT of people have been waiting for the replacement. That one must be it.

Check the Parts Express forums and ask there as well about that particular 10" and DIY. There are a lot of guys over there who have built DIY subs that are well below the $400 range. You've stated clearly that you don't need and couldn't even fully utilize the sub you'd end up with if you went $400 DIY. You don't need 'reference level/flat below 20hz' performance, from how I read you.

Given that the 202 is also a 10inch driver... perhaps you could decide based on price. I'd wager the PE is a better sub - that is based on nothing but what I've read.. I've heard neither. Noticed the Polk is shielded, PE doesn't say it is, if that makes a difference.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Options
    That PE sub looks pretty nice. Don't forget to consider S&H.

Hit the local thrift and pawn shops. I saw a nice Wharfedale powered for about $150, and my pawn shops usually suck.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    IMHO I think that you will be happy with the PSW202. I have one (as well as a pair of R15s), and it is good for music in a small room with proper placement. It will probably be cheaper although not as good as a DIY sub, but it should meet your needs. You should demo other small, cheap subs aswell and pick the one you like best. Just my 2 cents.
    Graham
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited September 2003
    Options
    BluesFusion,
    *I am a university student
    *I have an Onkyo 8211
    *I live in an appartment
    *I have a pair of polk mains
    *I have the PSW 202
    (I think we have a little in common)

And I like my PSW 202

I think the 202 is actually a pretty good value, moreso than the 303, and if you can get find it for $150 or less, go for it. True, it isn't the baddest, meanest, flat-to-20 sub out there, but it sounds like it fits your bill very well, and I think it is a good value.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    if you want to diy you might have to spend 200-250 but it will blow out anything under a grand.

125 for sub
    110 for amp

this will give you 250 wats rms nd a good 12

or you can spend 150 on a tempest and never upgrade agin. unless you are a bass head
  • bluesfusion
    bluesfusion Posts: 10
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, guys! :)

I guess a DIY active sub will certainly be a lot cheaper and better performing than an off the shelf unit, but considering this will be my first speaker project and the amount of research I'll have to do before starting on it, I might as well postpone it for a few months and go with the Dayton sub on PartsExpress for now.

How is Dayton quality in general? I tried to look for them on the web and all I got from google was a lot of stores selling Dayton drivers. Would the Dayton be a better sub than the 202? One thing I found impressive here at ClubPolk forums is reading about the excellent tech support from Polk when things go south. Would I get any sort of support from Parts Express if something like the sub amp blows three months down the line? Or will I pretty much be on my own trawling for a replacement?
    The lunatic is in my head.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'll tell you what- Tech support at Polk is Top Notch. I have never delt with a more customer focused company - Bar None. So I don't know how parts express would be, but I doubt it could be Polk's equal.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I haven't needed Polk customer service for actual repair, so I know only what I read here. They have been friendly and responsive to emails I've sent.

I do have firsthand experience with Parts Express customer service. My first sub plate amp went south after only two hours plug-in time. I called on a Saturday and they shipped me out a new amp before I sent them back the old one. They've always handled ANY request for information, changing an order, adding an item, etc, very well and with zero hassles.

Not trying to push you either way... I think either sub would work for your needs. Just wanted to give you some first-hand experience for PE.

Don't want to nitpik.. but that $250 number for a DIY sub is low given the kind of driver mentioned, unless you have the materials, hardware, port, terminal, etc just lying around.

Unless you have the extra time and just want a project, along with a lot of the needed materials, as well as the tools and a place to work, I don't really think DIY is the way to go right now. Just my opinion.. but I think for under $150 one of these two would serve you better.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    if you can cut circles in mdfb and use a cauck gun you can diy. i would recomend this buy a tempest and save up to buld the sub. or save up a little more and go with a av15. if you need any design help i would be glad to help. a sono sub is real easy you get the tube cut to lenth you cut a set of circles out of mdfb 4 of them. you cut the circles out in the center of 2 for the speaker. glue endcaps in tube. put 2 vert braces between top and botom plate line tube with pollyfill or stuff to desigred if sealed. put legs on it and psint and finish how you would like.

all you will need is 1 sheet of mdfb. 20 bucks
    1 sono tube 20-35 bucks
    cauck and paint5-10 bucks
    2 2by2 2 bucks

that would be 47-62 for a sealed sub with you can port later on if you want more bass.