Opinions about imprint

Options
pentoncm
pentoncm Posts: 379
edited July 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am considering getting the Alpine CDA105 (currently 150 at crutchfield) and the imprint pxa H100.

Here is my question, what would you guys rather do

1. Run the automatic imprint equalization
OR
2. Use the manual adjustments

I am leaning towards the manual controls because of the 5 band parametric controls, ability to set crossover points and slopes, and manually adjust the TA settings.

The negatives I have read about the automatic system is that it flattens the midbass too much and there being too much sibilance. On another note I used my android to run audio tools to generate an RTA analysis and my major peaks are at 125Hz, 250Hz, 1.2 Khz, and 2.5Khz. I could use the parametric to bring down the largest peaks in my system but also be able to adjust tonality of the system as a whole.

Let me know if going this route is a good option on a budget of $300.
Audison Bit Ten
Kenwood X595
Polk MM6501
Polk MM1240
Mtx 704x
Alpine MRX50
Post edited by pentoncm on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I would set the Imprint manually. It's best to do it yourself, to get it sounding good for you.

The Imprint lets you run active, gives you time alignment and a decent equalizer. These are tuning tools that will help you overcome some of the negative impact of your environment. It would be a good investment, $300 well spent.
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited July 2011
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    I would set the Imprint manually. It's best to do it yourself, to get it sounding good for you.

The Imprint lets you run active, gives you time alignment and a decent equalizer. These are tuning tools that will help you overcome some of the negative impact of your environment. It would be a good investment, $300 well spent.

you cannot tune the "imprint" manually. the use of imprint sets BOTH eq and time alignment for approx 500 points of correction.

the HU can be tuned manually, using the 5band eq and time alignment. in this case, the alignment is genral per speaker. this differs from imprint since it does TA per each freq that it tweaks.

fyi.. i have the 9887 and the kit. my manual tune gives good SQ. the imaging i set manually is better for iasca than imprint. (since iasca requires it mid dash and not in front of driver)

imprint wins with tonality.