Cub Cadet outdoor tools owners?

TECHNOKID
TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
edited June 2011 in The Clubhouse
I have been struggling on the purchase of a string trimmer since last summer.

I was about to buy a Poulan Pro but when I went to Home depot I gave in to a Cub Cadet ST4125. The selling point was multiple tools attachment and the fact it was a 4 stroke motor. Problem is I am not familiar with Cub Cadet and can hardly find reviews online. Even Consumer Report does not list any Cub Cadet trimmers in their ratings.

I gave it a good test last Saturday with the brushcutter attachment and I was impressed with the power of the 25cc 4 stroke motor. Now can anyone comment on the longevity and reliability of this tool?

I will also be returning a cheapo yardworks lawnmower and I wonder if anyone has any feedback on the Cub Cadet mowers? Consumer Report has decent comments about some of them however, since Cub Cadet has been bought by the cheap MTD manufacturer, I wonder how this affects the Cub Cadet products nowadays, any comments?
DARE TO SOAR:
“Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
Post edited by TECHNOKID on

Comments

• gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited June 2011
    Stop effin around with crap and buy a Stihl.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited June 2011
    Although i have nothing to say about the CC trimmers, i have a long standing love for a CC riding mower. My father had bought me one when i was (14) as i was the primary mower being the only kid in the house when the others went to college. I beat the ballbag off of that thing and it ran like a champ for 5 years until i went to college. 10 years after that, my father calls me up and is replacing it with a John Deere and guess what, the CC is returning to its true master and i'm pumped!! Reliable and all around great rider.

Don't by Poulan!!!....JUNK!....IMHO
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • gdb
    edited June 2011
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Although i have nothing to say about the CC trimmers, i have a long standing love for a CC riding mower. My father had bought me one when i was (14) as i was the primary mower being the only kid in the house when the others went to college. I beat the ballbag off of that thing and it ran like a champ for 5 years until i went to college. 10 years after that, my father calls me up and is replacing it with a John Deere and guess what, the CC is returning to its true master and i'm pumped!! Reliable and all around great rider.

I should perhaps clarify.....I own 2 CubCadet 1250 garden tractors and love them! The new MTD junk isn't Cub Cadet IMO !
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2011
    gdb wrote: »
    Agreed Stihl seemed to be the favored one but what they offer in term of versatility doesn't seem to justify their price tag.
    mrbiron wrote: »

Cub Cadet was renowned for their riding mower but from what I understand this may have changed since MTD acquired them (went for cheaper material production). You speak of John Deere which I always dreemed of however, with today's cheep Chinese manufacturing I've learned that you can be tricked by the name fame (which was justified in the past) and be very disappointed in the long run.

As far as Poulan and Poulan Pro, I came to understand that quality wise they different products. IE: Walmart sells the Poulan trimmers which the review I read claim to be garbage. On the other end, I read mix reviews on the Poulan Pro trimmers. I was looking/considering the Poulan Pro trimmer because of my good experience with their snowblower which I am on my 3rd flawless year.

Anyone have comments on the Cub Cadet lawnmowers? As I pointed out the Yarwork is garbage and will be returned. John Deere, Tor don't great reports on the Consumer Reports site, Poulan Pro mowers look good, seems of quality but not much reviews to really rely on. Troy Built don't appeal to me but who knows as they are too an MTD product...
    I should perhaps clarify.....I own 2 CubCadet 1250 garden tractors and love them! The new MTD junk isn't Cub Cadet IMO !
    Ah! Now you are backing up your previous statement! Is it true that Stihl is still fully US manufactured?

Some to mention about Cub Cadet that is appealing is their 3 years warranty (used to be 2 years). Home Depot are quite tedius for return but eventually give in to ensure consumer's satisfaction.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • gdb
    edited June 2011
    " Is it true that Stihl is still fully US manufactured?"

That never has been true......... Germany & Virginia USA (AFAIK). 2-038 chainsaws, 1-FS45 trimmer, 1-FS80 HD trimmer:smile:
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    Stihl, Honda & Shindaiwa are THE best names in yard machines (sting trimmers, leaf blowers, chain saws, etc.) Honda has the best small engines.

There has not been a good Cub Cadet since the early 80s. The best are 60s & 70s.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • dorourke07
    dorourke07 Posts: 298
    edited June 2011
    Had a 20 year old cub cadet and it was great. I bought a new cub cadet rider from Home Depot 2 years ago and it was nothing but junk. Its a cheap knock-off of what cub cadet use to be. bolts and screws falling off, deck falling out of alignment, not what I was expecting. The engine blew with less than 25 hours on it and Home Depot was useless, zero customer service or support. After 3 months cub cadet replaced the motor after Kohler reviewed the engine and stated it was run without oil prior to delivery to the customer. I don't blame cub cadet for that, who knows how they are shipped. However, I haven't been back to a home depot since. MTD bought the name and that's all that it is anymore. Find out who is really behind the name now before you buy, its not a real cub cadet.
    Mains - LSi9's
    Center - LSiC
    Surround - pair of TL3's
    Amplification - Parasound 2125
    AVR - Onkyo 706
    CD/SACD - Onkyo DV-SP506
    SUB - MartinLogan Abyss
    55" Panasonic Viera TC-P55GT30 3D
    Bluray - DMP-BDT310 Panasonic
  • gdb
    edited June 2011
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited June 2011
    I know nothing about there trimmers and other little things but I have an old CC 1450 that is all steel and built to last.

The dealer even told me they were better than the new stuff.

Get a Stihl and life happily ever after.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited June 2011

Correct. I've used many different brands of saws, trimmers, you name it over the years, and I get frustrated with every other brand I've ever used. Stihl is the only way to go IMO, you get a great product with good dealer support (usually) after the sale.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited June 2011
    Don't cheap out on any kind of tool if you use it regularly.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • ahorvitz
    ahorvitz Posts: 235
    edited June 2011

Agreed. I have the smallest Kombi motor, several attachments, and I would recommend the same to anyone.
    Main Rig
    Pioneer Elite SC-05, Rotel RMB-1075
    RT800i, CS400i, RT35i, FXi50, Klipsch RSW-12
    Pioneer Elite DV F-07, PS3, Wii
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    SC Analog 2, BJC Speaker Wire
    Samsung HL61A650

2nd Rig

Pioneer Elite VSX-56txi, Pioneer Elite DV-47a
    Cambridge Soundworks, MC150 (Center), MC100 x 4, Mirage LF-150

Office

Adcom GTP-400, Adcom GFA-535II, (need a quality CDP), RT55i