speaker questions

mscott
mscott Posts: 1
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hope someone here can help me out, I have no clue when it comes to this kind of thing.

I drive a 97 grand cherokee, have had it a year or so. My speakers all sound horrible for some reason, I dont know if they're all blown, or what, but they've been that way since I got the car. My cd player is an alpine 50Wx4, I dont recall the exact model number off hand.

My question is, how much would it cost me to go through and replace all of my speakers. I dont want anything too fancy, and I dont think I want to put a sub in there, but I do want it to sound good. Will I need an amp for this? Any suggestions on which speakers I should get? And again, about how much would it cost to replace the 6 speakers?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks alot.
-Mike
Post edited by mscott on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    sounds like the infinity soundsystem if it's 6 speakers... bummer... was the deck installed w/o bypassing the factory amp?? if so that would explain it sounding like crap. the quality of sound you want is proportional to the amount of money you're gonna have to dish out and i would reccomend a small sub to even out the sound. I you want something that's gonna give you the low frequencies w/o blowing your ears or taking space look at this...
    http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/JGC10.cfm
    You can pick one of these up at a Circuit City. not sure what the price is but you can get just the enclosure and pick your amp and sub; you can get the enclosure with one 10" Thunder6000 sub(not a bad sub), or you can get the enclosure with the sub and a build in amp (matched power ratings for best performance in that enclosure). it's a great way to even out your sound for not a whole lotta money and taking verry little space :D:D that and you can get it in the color that matches your interior. as far as speakers go for a great speaker for a relatively small amount of money i reccomend polk...
    If polks fit guide is right for realy great sound you could go with this setup (it's front and rear door 6.5's and front dash 3.5)

Polk DB component set
    http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=db6500
    these will need to be amplified...

Polk DB 6.5 Full range
    http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=db650
    (you could also put these in the front if the component set's a little pricey)
    an amp would be good but it's not an absolute must... (i'd reccomend it though)

polk ex 3.5
    http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=ex351a
    no amp needed. just your front fill (you could also bypass these speakers and mount the tweeters from the DB component set in the locations for the 3.5's i think that component set would give you much better sound than the 6.5 fullrange and the 3.5)

Just my advice... also if that setup is a bit rich for your blood you could go with the EX series. Also very good speakers :D I'd aviod the GXR's personally because their alluminum tweeter seems a little too sharp for me...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    what size speakers are they all around...anyone know?
    i would stay away from putting the tweeter in the 3.5" hole...the tweeter needs to be within 18inches of the woofer...closer the better
    one of those little subs would do you good
    6.5"s just arent meant to pump out the bass...
    the ex's are very good...i STILL havent heard the db's yet...but they seem to be very good
    very nice specs
    so id go with the db's
    -Cody
  • seachange44
    seachange44 Posts: 39
    edited September 2003
    I have a 96 Grand Cherokee, and we probably have similarly equipped cars. My hunch is that you don't have the Infinity system, unless there's gold lettering on the speakers in the front that say Infinity Gold then you don't have it. I know from personal experience that when you have the stock speakers and you use a different head unit than the one that came with the car, it will sound like crap. The Infinity speakers are much more accomodating to a different head unit, but not necessarily if you bypass the stock amp. Both the regular and the Infinity systems really like being proprietary, they don't want anything aftermarket or they'll sound totally bizarre. If you do have the Infinity system intact all except the head unit, my advice would be to somehow get the stock Chrysler Infinity CD player and leave it at that. You will get rich, nice bass out of the Infinity 6.5's whereas if you go aftermarket, it doesn't stop, and you WILL have to add a subwoofer along with expensive components. Your only option may be to go to the dealer and see what kind of prices they offer, Ebay is another good choice to find the stock head unit. Take it from me, I have a twelve hundred dollar disaster in my car, I have a 100X4 amp, two sets of very good Polk components, and a fantastic Pioneer head unit, and for all intents and purposes I did not get any kind of end result at all, it's difficult for a newbie like me to adjust, it's too bright, NO bass, and overall kind of a terrible experience. It's very true that the dealer overcharges customers on their audio equipment, especially for the low specs, but you will get a satisfying result.
    I'm just saying to think twice before going aftermarket, because if you're a newbie, it's very hard. If I could go back in time I would have marched right over to my Jeep dealer and paid an arm and a leg for an Infinity system rather than go aftermarket-this is just my advice from my experience, I love aftermarket car audio, most notably Polk, I find it fascinating and entertaining, but in my case, it was not the answer-please fellow forum dwellers, be kind.:(
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    personally i detest stock car audio. My system sounds better than that infinity system and all i have is one MM6 component set with the woofers in the rear deck of my saturn and the tweeters in the front in the doorjam (just infront of your head :D) a pioneer dehp2000 headunit (5yrs old) and a late 90's orion amp giving the plk's a measly 60w rms(i need a bigger amp i'm clipping from the cdplayer volume with the gain maxed) all in all i paid 220 for system plus wiring (got the deck for free ;D) and i will freely say that it sounds DAMN good for the work i've put into it :D:D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    basic **** off deck power?? -- just do last year's EXIII coaxials or the new DB "junior" coaxials all around.

dont bothe rwith a component set off deck power and you dont seem like you want the bother of hte install either -- coax all around wont sound bad -- polk makes nice stuff... it'll bring new life into that jeep.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge