Head Unit Comparison

2»

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited September 2003
    Thanks PBD. It pretty much eliminated the thump. I was only complaining because it would thump so hard it would hurt your head. Like I said the gain is really low now and it sounds great. I don't mind a turn on noise, but if you heard it you'd definately know why I was bitching. :)

As for the IDQ's, I had like 900 watts on them for well over a year with no problems. I know what they can do. Awesome subs. I was actually looking at the 700s yesterday and the guy told me it was a joke compared to the Crossfire 600D he recommended. He didn't even tell me the price on it. I'm not exactly sure what year it is... It looks like the 2002 model but it seems like they have been in there for a long time. I'm going to look at some Soundstream amps today also for her. Specifically the Picasso 2.880. It's an entry level amp, but I know Soundstream makes good stuff, should be good for the gf.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    unless its the 2000 watt class D crossfire that can be had for about 700 bucks online -- then i wouldn't buy a crossfire.

and wouldn't the 600D crossfire be like whatever power at 2 ohms? if you've got a pair of dual 4's how the hell could u do that anyway?

700S isn't a joke -- it'll do 700... wont do more than 700 but it'll do 700. and its a simpler build than the power series RF.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • C-Man
    edited September 2003
    600 watts at 1 ohm on the Crossfire. I got the price on the 700s and they want 499. I know that amp isn't a joke, I just didn't wanna stand around there and argue with the dude, so I just left. I started looking for it online but haven't found a price in her budget yet. I'm starting to look at some lower cost options now like the Profile CA1200 I listed in another post. I don't know what the hell I wanna get her. She won't spend a lot of money but I really don't want to get her something that will cause more headache than good.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    you could always do that blue thunder 150.2 i found on www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com ... it'll get up to a smidge over 500 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged and they seem to never break down.

i think it was 250 or 200 or something.

its less power than yo'ud want, but i run two DX10's off like 230 each and it slams the living **** out of the car... but i'm pushing the amp to its utter limits of operation... gain is like 75%... that's not good. but it keeps me happy.

I'd be leanin toward the 1200 if you cant find the 700S for cheap.. i'll check on it for ya...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    my bad -- the 150.2 is only $150 bucks !! at that price u can afford to buy her something leather as well -- wink wink nudge nudge...

there's an old 500D for only 300 bucks -- too bad u cant get the ohms right -- that sucker does 800 x 1 or more.

looked for the 700S couldn't find it...

here's what i get the gold star for though....

Hifonics Zeus ZX7500
    1000 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged rms.
    $350 after instant rebate.
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/HIFZX7500

sounddomain also has a deal...

mtx 942 -- 940 x 1 bridged into 4 ohms rms...
    $475 after rebate and sale but not only do you get the amp but you get a complete 0 gauge wiring kit for it.

same deal on the RF 851S

also - the mtx 942 can be had brand new in box on ebay for $290 bucks
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046568725&category=18796

for 290 bucks i'd be buying htat mtx -- that's a big **** honkin amp there. case is the same size as the 81000d and it draws as much current.
  • C-Man
    edited September 2003
    As always PBD, you are the man! I appreciate it.
    Same to the rest of yas.
    "The Big C"
  • IMAX
    IMAX Posts: 4
    edited January 2004
    Hey guys, I'm a newbie, But I'm reading through this head unit comparison thread & I looked at the Eclipse web site. Per the site the only way to get MP3 playback is by purchasing the Commander Advance device??? Someone clear this up for me please?

Right now, the HU I'm looking at is the Alpine CDA-7998. I still have the Pioneer 9400 pulling at me (because I loved my 735R from back in 1998) but disappointed in the SNR being 94db & that is the rating for the Premier series also. The Alpine is 105db... I will post what I'm planning for the rest of my set up, for hopefully my 04 Mercury Marauder (Hoping b4 Memorial Weekend) that I want to get.

Thanks in advance for your assistance...
    IMAX/Chuck
  • IMAX
    IMAX Posts: 4
    edited January 2004
    BUMP. I know this thread is old, but help me out here...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2004
    Lets see, first off, you posted your first response at 10 minutes to 2 am. Most people are either in bed or not concerned with a forum that early in the morning. Secondly, your "bump" post was unecessary because you post only fell two or three posts down on the board.

Why don't you settle down and wait for someone to respond? Patience is a virtue.

If you wanted a higher profile post, you should have started a new thread instead of digging up a thread that is almost 6 months old.

As far as suggestions, you haven't posted much of what you want suggestions on. You are concerned with only one specification between an Alpine and a Pioneer head unit and even then you have not specified what signal to noise ratio you are reffering to. Given what you have posted, without going out and doing my own research, it is clear that the Alpine is the better choice if it has such favorable numbers over the Pioneer in the only specification you listed.

As far as your issue with Eclipse, I would think that Eclipse's own website would be the authority on Eclipse gear. I don't think they would lie to the customer. If you are unclear on what thier website says then I think calling a customer service number for Eclipse would be a better bet than asking questions about Eclipse's website on an internet forum unrelated to Eclipse. If you want definte answers about a manufacturer's website then it'd be best to go to the manufacturer themselves.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2004
    ya - i'm kind of confused on what you're asking as well...

IF you are asking "are there any decks that play mp3's without adding a module or anythign extra?" then my answer would be "yup" -- alpine / kenwood / pioneer / panasonic / clarion ... etc etc etc... personally - i'd take an alpine or kenwood.

as far as eclipse -- i haven't the foggiest idea -- call them up and see if they can help you out -- i've never used one of their head units.