A set of comps that perform better than the SR's?

Options
rollaboy10
rollaboy10 Posts: 7
edited July 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
After looking all over the Internet trying to find a pair of SR6500 and/or SR5250 I was devastated to find out that the SR's had been discontinued :(

My question is, what set of comps would be comparable (or better) than the SR's? Thanks in advance!
Post edited by rollaboy10 on

Comments

• jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What are you looking to spend?
  • rollaboy10
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just imagine price isn't an issue ;)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2011
    Options
    focal utopia be No 7
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited June 2011
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    focal utopia be No 7
    -Cody

Now the price becomes an issue LOL!
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • rollaboy10
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Haha nah the reason I said imagine price isn't an issue was just to broaden the feedback you guys are giving. I think I've decided on a pair of Maestro comps that come with a 6.5" speaker, 4" speaker, tweeter and a crossover for approx. $2,800. Does this sound like it would be worth it? Honest feedback appreciated.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What kind of install are you going to be doing?

Throwing $2800 components in the factory locations isn't going to do much.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2011
    Options
    So you want to spend 3K on a pair of speakers. Ok, what's the rest of the setup? Hu / Amps / Sub?

Yes you can do better for less. An all Scan 3 way with top of the line drivers would cost you under $ 1,700.
    You would need to custom install them.
  • rollaboy10
    edited June 2011
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    So you want to spend 3K on a pair of speakers. Ok, what's the rest of the setup? Hu / Amps / Sub?

Yes you can do better for less. An all Scan 3 way with top of the line drivers would cost you under $ 1,700.
    You would need to custom install them.

Headunit; JVC KDR626

Amps; Option Audio Pro Series 4,000 watt (2000 rms) & 1300 watt 4 channel (650 rms)

Subs; 2x SR104DVC

Speakers; MM6901 & a pair of soundstream 4" (which I obviously plan on pulling out at some stage).

Arun, by scan you mean scanspeak? I would obviously much rather spend $1,700 over $2,800 which is why I came and asked here first before I rushed ahead and bought it. And the only speaker I would be putting in the factory location would be the 4", the tweeter and the 6.5 I would have to custom fit.

There's a guy at one of my local car audio shops that said he could make up a custom door panel to fit the 6.5 but if that is going to do the same thing as mounting a pod properly on my existing door panel and putting sufficient deadening in then I would rather take that route.

My aim for my system is mainly SQ but I do want to be decently loud as well.
  • arun1963
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I assume you know what your handle means........

If you want SQ, for what it really is, it will be at lower db's than what you've got now. The sound will be a lot more focused, so even though db's are lower, the impact will be much better. Will more than make up for loss of db's. Make sure you have a fair amount of deadening. It will get fairly loud, but still lower than what you have now.

Everything you do to reproduce good sound in a car is all aimed at one objective. Minimizing the negative impact of your environment. Speakers at different distances, axis, reflections off nearly everything inside the car. These are Andys frequency response graphs from another forum.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21634942@N04/4240691825/

That is the frequency response of a speaker in a typical car door as measured 1 " from the cone. Fairly flat except the dips around 1 & 5khz, both driver related.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21634942@N04/4241476364/in/photostream/

This is the same speaker but measured at ear level. That is the effect of your environment. Yes you can improve the ear level a bit with placement and install but nothing close to the speaker level response. The only way youre going to get close is by using a ton of tuning tools like time alignment, L/R eq, variable xover and slopes (active) etc, placement and angles on drivers, covering as much of the reflective surfaces as you can etc.

Which begs the question, why you want to blow up 3K on a pair of 3 way speakers without having any of the tuning tools. If you want to go the sq route, then I would recommend a good 2 way and a used p-800/880. It would be fairly easy to dial in the sound to a basic level and then you could see how far you want to go. Once you've taken this unit to its limit then you can look at moving up the chain and maybe going 3 way and processor or something like the p-99. Only problem is that this takes a while and a lot of perseverance. Not too many people have that kind of patience. :smile:

Or if you just want a nice plug and play solution, just add a good two way and a better hu. The SR subs are great and I'm assuming that at $300 a piece your amps are fine. Scans need small sealed/ported enclosures to sound really good. They don't do so good mounted free air in doors. You can also look at brands like DLS, Morels which are more install friendly. Even if you're going for plug and play get a better hu.
  • jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Audison Thesis, Brax Matrix, Esotar2, Focal Be...
  • rollaboy10
    edited July 2011
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Or if you just want a nice plug and play solution, just add a good two way and a better hu. The SR subs are great and I'm assuming that at $300 a piece your amps are fine. Scans need small sealed/ported enclosures to sound really good. They don't do so good mounted free air in doors. You can also look at brands like DLS, Morels which are more install friendly. Even if you're going for plug and play get a better hu.

Okay, thank you for that :)

I know my headunit isn't top of the line, but if it has everything that I want (6 RCA inputs, Bluetooth, 2 aux inputs, USB, the ability to tune) is it really an issue that it doesn't have a pioneer/alpine/kenwood/clarion badge on it?

And $300 for my amps? I wish! :(

I think I might do what you suggested and go the 2-way route first and then if I'm still not happy with that setup I'll consider going 3-way.

Thank you all for your input so far!
  • arun1963
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm not pushing you towards any badge. SQ in a car requires tuning features which your hu doesn't offer. If you want to go that route then look at the brands you mentioned, they happen to be the brands that offer it.

If however, you're wanting to start with decent sound, then your hu is fine as long as it gives you whatever else you need. $ 3,000 speakers will not sound 10 times better than what you have. I would go with two way splits for a start and then take it from there.

You don't need multiple pairs of speakers, one pair is enough. Since you have some coin to spend, put some in deadening and get a pair of components in the 600-800 range, look at the diy route. Any more and you're wasting money, unless you have the tuning tools to tweak the extra value/sound out of the speakers.

Hope this helps and good luck.
  • evil ryu
    evil ryu Posts: 41
    edited July 2011
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    What kind of install are you going to be doing?

Throwing $2800 components in the factory locations isn't going to do much.
    -Cody

co-sign.