MCS 3865 integrated amp (NEC AUA 8000)

geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,075
edited February 2012 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
A very cool piece Made from 1977 to 1981 for JC Penny for their MCS line by NEC. It is identical to the NEC AUA 8000. Built like a tank. Dual mono design with very nice layout and high quality parts. Has a warm sound. It is 65 watts per channel with 2 phono , 2 tape, aux, tuner, preamp in and out. Works perfectly and is in great shape a 9 out 10. The only flaw is one of the power meter bulbs is out but the one next to it still lights it up. Has been set for use with a detachable power cord and the A speakers will accept banana plugs , spades, or wire. Asking $140 Thanks,Keith
037.jpg 515.4K
038.jpg 534.6K
036.jpg 546.8K
039.jpg 581.7K
Post edited by geppy1 on

Comments

• bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited June 2011
    Looking at the backplane did you swap out the original speaker connectors? Nice unit by the way.
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited June 2011
    Cool looking amp! Looks like it wants to be a Sansui. Impressive power supply.
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• Joe Humbert
    Joe Humbert Posts: 189
    edited June 2011
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited June 2011
    stubby wrote: »
    Cool looking amp! Looks like it wants to be a Sansui.

A lot of Sansui employees went to Hashimoto Electric in the late 70's, early 80's.
    Satoshi Hashimoto became a manager at NEC somewhere in time.

Thus, I assume, the Sansui influence.

And that DOES have a Sansui influence. And that's a GOOD thing. :smile:
    Sal Palooza
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited June 2011
    BTW, I pulled the initial info from "Fuzz Central" (brain) and got slightly more detailed info from other forums.

FYI, here's some more trivia:

"This question has been discussed (literally) for years over at Audiokarma.org. Over time, more information has come to light. The answer is, a variety of different manufacturers made different pieces of MCS gear. The top-of-the-line receivers from the late 70's/early 80's (there are a couple of them, I think Model 3275 was the big beast) were made by Foster, who also made some of the TOTL Realistic gear for Tandy. As other have said in this thread, some of the stuff, particularly turntables, was made by Matsushita (Panasonic/Technics). There was a line of MCS separates, of which I have the tuner, that was made by NEC. There are photos floating around on the web of my exact tuner with an NEC badge on it.

I do not believe that any MCS gear was made by Trio (Kenwood), or at least I have never heard that reported before.

Sounds sort of like a solid sleeper, IMO. YMMV.
    Sal Palooza
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,641
    edited June 2011
    Cool looking amp. GLWTS.
  • geppy1
    edited June 2011
    Price drop $130
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,532
    edited June 2011
    bigyank wrote: »
    Looking at the backplane did you swap out the original speaker connectors? Nice unit by the way.

Speaking of backplanes... What about the backround of that first photo! :tongue:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,348
    edited June 2011
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    Speaking of backplanes... What about the backgound of that first photo! :tongue:

fixed it fer ya....Timing is everything and that had PERFECT timing:biggrin:
  • geppy1
    edited July 2011
    Price drope $125 Needs to go
  • DRAGOMCS
    DRAGOMCS Posts: 25
    edited February 2012
    I'm interested in this if you still have it. Is it still available? Thanks!
  • DRAGOMCS
    DRAGOMCS Posts: 25
    edited February 2012
    Rick88 wrote: »
    7 1/2 months later it is highly unlikely... :rolleyes:

Yeah I know, but you never can tell. It may have been put back in the closet that whole time, and I just found this thread last night! We'll see if I get a reply back, hopefully so. I would have PM'd but since I'm a new user I have to have like 10 posts first. I'm not a big 'poster' either, more of a reader, so it'll be a while before that happens. Hopefully I can still receive PMs though. If so I'll be waiting! :smile: