How to fuse tweets

Options
lslaraut
lslaraut Posts: 3
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
I blew a tweet on my monitor 10's, my 7's were fused so this would'nt happen. Can I fuse my 10's:confused:
Post edited by lslaraut on

Comments

• eric
    eric Posts: 11
    edited July 2001
    Options
    My 10's have a 2a fast blow in the back by the speaker connections. This protects the tweeter. I take yours do not have this. You could always add the fuse yourself.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    Adding a tweeter protection fuse could be done, however, it would require a bit of construction skills. It would need to be placed on the outside of the input plate and placed in series with the high pass portion of the crossover. In other words, in order for the fuse to be effective it would have to be placed so the audio signal passed through it on its way through the high pass portion of the crossover network. It might require some isolation of the two filter sections, but it could be done. You can also learn to recognize when there is excessive distortion in your system. Listening for a harsh or strident character in the way high frequencies are being produced can be an effective way to avoid tweeter damage.
    By the way, the fuse should be a 1 ampere normal blow fuse, not a 2 ampere.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • lslaraut
    lslaraut Posts: 3
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I'm still a bit confused. Can I simply place a fuse between the cross-over output and the tweeter, mounted on the outside? Also my problem is not distortion, but a 2 year old.:)
  • mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Ken stated where the fuse would have to be in the circuit.
    As far as the 2 y/o goes...you have to teach them to stay away from the stove ("hot"), same applies for your audio equipment ("break fingers") This also works for wives/girlfriends and drunk buddies.
    (Now for the liberal disclaimer: I'm not suggesting you break your kid's fingers, but come up with something he/she will associate with staying the heck away from your stuff.)