Am I crazy?

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
edited June 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
So been sitting here thinking about my car setup. Right now I have a Sundown Audio SAX 125.2 amp. It is a 125x2 @ 4 ohms and 200x2 @ 2 ohms. I have 2 sets of db6501?s in my Jetta but only the fronts connected to the amp. I also have a Treo TE 10? connected to a Sundown 1200D amp (720 x 1 @ 2 ohm, 1200 x 1 @ 1 ohm)

Is there any reason I shouldn?t just go ahead and connect the rears since then I would be getting 100 watts to each set of speakers (200/2) which are their rated max continuous RMS as well?

Its gonna cost me like 32 bucks give or take to hook up my rears since I need to replace a broken crossover for one of the speakers, but beyond that its not gonna be a big deal. Everythings already wired since I had the rears connected to my old MTX amp I replaced w/ the Sundown. However if I am not going to get a decent gain in db?s or overall sound cohesion I really don?t want to do it.

I am looking at maybe a new HU as well but that?s a different beast.

Thoughts?
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited June 2011
    Options
    My opinion would be to not connect the rears. Since you have a sub you have plenty of low end. Having the rears connected will add more speakers that are out of phase with the fronts.

You want the image in front of you and in the center. In a car it messes up the imaging if the fronts and back play the same thing. There is technically no reason to have rear speakers in a car when you have an amp to power the fronts. Some people say that it sounds empty but I don't understand. When you watch movies on a 5.1 at home you don't hear dialogue or music behind you.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Most folks here do not run rears. I think you would gain a lot more by upgrading the hu to one that offers some tuning tools like, time alignment and a 5-7 band eq.