would like any thoughts on my amp/subs

MoT0R_He4D
MoT0R_He4D Posts: 15
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
here goes i bought a CC special two RT Road thunder MTX 10's with teh box and one of the new 202 mtx amps which imho i dont think i paid too much, but any thoughts on what my next amp should be to push these 10's would be helpful since im planning to pick up another amp here in the near future and donate the 202 to my inside 4( figure if the rear 6x9 db690's are rated for 100 rms and 300 peak that they might just benefit from a nice lil 200+w amp) so if someone knows a way i may drive more power out of the 202 to the 10's or if a new amp with more power on hand to drive them with is the better path then please hollar at me here ... also would it be worth the effort of picking up another MTX 202 and brigding it to run to the two tens or would it just be better to go with another amp all together with? .. oh and one last thought <Cerwin-Vega>
everytime i have had the pleasure of finding them set up in a shop they have always left me smiling anyone have any thoughts on the vega line ...thnx

Teh MoT0R
Not all who wander are lost ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
Post edited by MoT0R_He4D on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    is the 202 running stereo or bridged to the subs (are the subs 4 ohm / 8 ohm / or dual 4 ohm ??)

if they're 8 ohm -- get an 8302 on sale for 200 bucks at crutchfield.com -- does 450+ x 1 -- half price.

if they're 4 ohm -- go grab like any 175 dollar 400 watt 2 ohm stable amp that's decent -- ie profile california / usacoustics / lightning bolt series / etc etc.

i dont think you'll find a 4250D for under 250 unless u go ebay...

if u do ebay -- they grab one of the newer 400-ish watt mtx mono class D's.

again -- this is only if they'r 4 ohm subs -- if they're 8 ohm / dual 4 ohm, then you'll need a 2 channel amp that runs @ 4 bridged.

put the 202 on your front speakres, run deck power to your rears -- it'll sound better.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MoT0R_He4D
    edited September 2003
    Sweet thnx for the advice PBD sorry i wasnt more discriptive , they are single voice 4 ohms and also i hope you gave that dealership hell PBD heh they deserve it on the simple premise that you know you arent the only ol' boy they have done that shite to ...... that kinda crap just rubs me wrong hence the reason i do everything to my vehicles with in reason , just for the satisfaction of knowing it was done right ...but also i havent owned a warrantied vehicle once in my life so lol that may make a difference now in arkansas where i live for the last 8 1/2 yrs they did have a vehicle inspection for a few years but it was pretty simple in the requirments (i.e horn ,lights,whipers etc.)

and as for the amp situation i have been scanning the HiFonics ,MTX
    and pheonix gold amps on a few of the sites that you ,cody and MTX have recommended to other ppl here on the forums ...thnx again for the input.

Teh MoT0R
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    dont forget rockford fosgate!
    thats all i have in my truck as far as amps go
    check out their new "RF TYPE" line, theyre very nice
    -Cody
  • MoT0R_He4D
    edited September 2003
    kewl i'll keep um in mind ......and im just about done with the whole install..... let ya all know how it goes :)

Teh MoT0R
  • MoT0R_He4D
    edited September 2003
    Well i must say all in all it went pretty smooth everythings ina dn to my surprise the subs on that one MTX 202 sound pretty good .
    now its just a lil matter of tweaking the new head unit to see where i like the settings best thnx for the advice and help guys

:)

Teh MoT0R
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    dont forget rockford fosgate!
    -Cody

Cody,
    If there's one thing that you just dont' do it's mix MTX and RF. It's gotta be like a cardinal sin or something. I'd go with the 801D personally and bridge them down to 2ohm's. In the thump room at my CC we had them running off of the 1501D with no problem so the 801D should sound tight :D just don't crank the gain all the way or you may blow them. bty get the cityadvantage plan on the speakers, for 16 bucks each if you blow then anytime during the next 2yrs you get a new pair free (or you can take the cash as store credit) I don't work there anymore but i still stand by the cityadvantage plan when it comes to speakers ;D. bty if you didn't get it when you bought the speakers you can add it on anytime during the first 30 days from when you bought em. I see one that's reconditioned (which with mtx means it's probably all new hardware in a used case) for 209 with $25 for shipping. other than that the new one's are looking about 249-260, most of those are "buy it now" prices as well
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MoT0R_He4D
    edited September 2003
    yeah i have heard that over the years that if you are gonna run MTX stick with with the whole set up for it to sound its best so i have always tried to follow that rule of thumb, at the moment thou its sounding pretty damn nice ( too my surprise considering the amp size versus the two subs requirments and all) so im gonna roll with it as is for a while till i get the bug to want it louder but i wasnt really after a system my whole neighborhood could hear when im coming or goin heh.....if that was what i was after i would have gone with some twelves and a 1000+W roadgear ( :P)

but i think it is worth adding that my head unit is bein a lil biotch about dialing in imho its a few years old and im not really a sony fan in the least ( head unit was bought by my gurl a couple years ago and i yanked it out of the trooper for my system and put her stock gear back in there to keep my project costs down ) the sony model is the CDX-M770 if anyone has any knowledge of that creature..... maybe i didnt connect my RCA's to the right ones
    hmmmm dont really know but i found the paper work on the Head unit in the shop so its worth a good look at that may explain a bit since the is the first system i have wired in on my own in more then 7 years (lol yeah i know i know....but i have been sooo buzy guys !! :P) and as of this moment in time i havent fried a damn thing * w00t !! knocks on wood*...thou im already feeling that it wont be to long before i cant stand it anymore and head done to get a pioneer deck to R&R the sony
    CDX-M770 ...... always stand by the pioneer head units , just something about a head unit that doesnt skip as you and your buddy roll his farking nissan senta that leaves one Impressed hehe
    and of course that basis has left me time and time again seeing just how reliable the decks are .... well i woke up unrested im gonna head back to the sak and see if i cant grab a few more ZZZZ's Latez all..

Teh MoT0R
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by MoT0R_He4D
    yeah i have heard that over the years that if you are gonna run MTX stick with with the whole set up for it to sound its best
    i dont think he was talking about the way it sounds...unless u put 2 different amps on a couple of subs
    its just that rf and mtx are the 2 lines that the majority seem to get and if u have rf then u despise mtx and vice versa
    both have their ups and downs
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    Ewwww.... Sony.... *shudders*

SONY IS THE ANTI-CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sony decks suck **** man definately upgrade to the pioneer. I have a 5yr old pioneer dehp2000 that the only thing wrong with it is that the rear right channel went out not too long ago ( my rears are amped now anyway so no biggie ;D) I'm a big fan of pioneer, I also like Eclipse head units...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    no -- i am sure that if you installed an RF700S and an Mtx 204 in yoru car at the same time you would start a fire and burn you car, your house, your dog, your best friend who was livin in your basement, and your last backup copy of **** that you had on cdr because your girlfriend doesn't let you look at that kind of stuff anymore - down to the ground...

mtx isn't very good to run on highs post like year 2000.

Blue Thunder / BT Pro / Original Thunder lines fine, enjoy -- 4/6/8k thunder series and the new thunders however just really suck on highs.

if you can get old RF -- like 1997 and before RF, then jump on it. buy it, steal it (well not actually steal it), beg it, whatever... its more true to what RF actually became known for than recent models.
  • MoT0R_He4D
    edited September 2003
    BAAAAAHHHHH ...... that damn sony deck IS Teh ANTI_CHRIST !!!

its acting up and shuting down and doin funky crap that is far from kewl .... now im gonna have to pull that damn thing and double check all my wire connects >:\ this blows , never had a bit of problem out of it in the Trooper and now this shite starts happening lol (figures) and so i get home and look on my thread and guess who has a post condeming sony head units lol man MTX why jo0 throwin da bad JuJu around bro :P .......

so now begins the fun , and yes i will be trackin down a new pio deck soon heh ..... also i ran into a couple new items one company im familiar with MB Quartz seems they are making subs now , guess i was curious of the expertise of the forum folk as to weither or not they are crap or gold ....... also Viper of Viper alarms have out some audio gear whats up with that heh......
    oh and gawd dont i wish i had access to old stock piles of the good MTX and Fosgate gear lol ........ ppl just never learn the time tested rule of " If it aint broke ,Dont Fix It !! " but go figure they had to try and fix um didnt they now look what we have .... a bunch of audio fiends wanting the old crap back... anyhow i have to go to a doc appntmnt. , then maybe ill yank that deck and kick it a few times maybe that'll help . latez all take care .

Teh MoT0R
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    i bought 4 mb quart coaxials for the cadillac...

i fried the rears within like a week.

they sounded pretty **** before that anyway.

... went and got a set of EXIII's -- and was very much impressed.

the only reason i kept the quarts in front is because nobody seems to make a halfway decent 3.5" speaker and i'm not modifying the dashboard of a 28 year old car.

so as far as quart goes - for me - lets just say i'm never buying anything they make again.

... unless i need another set of low power 3.5"... lol.

grass is always greener on the other side -- then u buy someting else and end up realizing it sucks compared to the nice polk stuff u had. so u end up buying the polk stuff back.

i sound like a damn poster boy - but i really mean it... i've learned to appreciate the gear.