well CRAP

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
i was driving along, looked at my tweeter in the sail panel on the passenger side, noticed it was kinda hanging down inside the panel
stopped at a gas station to get gas/air for my tire and took a better look
well i took the sail panel off only to find that the glue the installers used to glue it to the panel had broken its seal all the way around
to make matters worse, i lost the reciept to get it installed like a month after i got it installed, and ive looked for it many times before to no avail, so im not going to look for it now
worst of all, the damn tweeter stopped working
i really dont see how i couldve pulled a wire but i guess i did
now i gotta take the damn door panel off to see whats going on, and im going to have a ghetto **** looking set up for a week or so until i can get around to fixing it
looks like ill have everything but the amps next weekend so thats what ill be doing next weekend if something else doesnt come up
does anyone know what kind of glue they might have used?
let me try and describe it
i want to say its like a latex but i dont know if thats the right word
or chaulk, but its a shiny black, very rubbery, very easy to take off...ring a bell?
if not what can i use to glue it back on?
i dont want to use anything permanent, jb weld/superglue...that stuff
1. i dont know how long im going to keep the truck
2. i dont want the glue to stay on my tweeters if i feel like moving them
the tweeter casing is plastic and the sail panel is plastic
what teh installers did is they put a **** load around it so it would set right
i want to get it fixed asap and they open on monday but i wont be able to get a hold of them til tuesday as i will be gone all day monday
thanks
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• MoT0R_He4D
    MoT0R_He4D Posts: 15
    edited September 2003
    no idea as to what they might have used ... i do use alot of chaulk and latex adhesives at work since im a installer of windows and hurricane protection in the pan handle of florida but a black shiny adhesive that comes off pretty easy hmmmm.
    nothing is poppin to mind least doesnt sound like anything i use
    but my first thought would be a crazy glue thou you said you might want to part with here soon so you might be best off just hook up with the ol' boys that installed it originally..sorry not more help , opps phone gotta run ..

Teh MoT0R
    Not all who wander are lost ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited September 2003
    Black and Shiny? I would tend to think they used Black Silicone.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    thanks, well i pulled the door panel off, saw the wire that came from the tweeter(The permanent one) was connected to the speaker wire with those twist connectors so i immediately suspected those
    cut off the wire thinking i had some of those twist conncects around...couldnt find them, so i twisted the wires together and wrapped them with electrical tape
    this shouldve worked right?
    cuz it didnt
    so i take the cover off the crossover
    everythings connected right
    so i take the speaker wire off and connected the permanent wire from the tweeter straight to the crossover, this didnt work either
    please tell me for some wierd reason that this wouldnt work
    cuz i cant think of any
    so now im suspecting a mightve pulled the permanent wire off the back of the tweeter
    everything looks connected...doesnt look like its come off at all
    maybe the crossover?
    cuz the woofer still works
    i could test the crossover, but it requires taking the door panel off the driverside door, take the sail and kickpanel off, popping the cover off the crossover, unscrewing the tweeter wire and run it to the other crossover, but chances are the wire will be too short and i will have to take all the wire out and reroute it all to put it back in
    not my idea of a good time
    any other suggestions on what it might be?
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    better yet, than taking the other tweeter, i could just take the woofer and switch it to the tweeter part of the x-overr, that would work right?(its late, i got up early, went to bed late last night, and my mind isnt functioning)
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    you probably yanked the wire outa hte back of the tweeter itself.

take the tweet out of its casing (casing shud screw on like a pop bottle top) and then go and take a look...

chances are one of the leads is loose /yanked off... mine did that.

just solder it back on if thats it.

as far as the glue -- its black silicone.

if it peels off easy - yet retains good adhesion, and is latex-y, then its black silicone.

as far as this all goes tho -- why did they use glue dude? dont the momo tweet pods come with toothed-rings ? the dx and db came with a ring that had teeth on the inside of it... like a giant washer with teeth -- you cut the hole in the panel, inert the tweet, then slip the ring on the back and it like bit into the back of the tweet pod and held it tight. i might have a couple layin around.. i'll check... if u need em, and i can find em, they'll be in the mail to ya no cost... i have no use for em... just spares.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    they came with things to insert the tweeters in them and it has a little lip to catch the outside of the panel
    why they didnt use those i dunno
    but its ok ill just silicon it back on
    where the wire goes into the tweeter is exposed...and it doesnt look like either lead is messed up
    another wonderful thing happen to my system...
    its sounds so horrible now....i dont even want to listen to it
    its off balanced and louder on one side and only high frequencies on one side...the worst staging ever...lol
    -Cody
  • MoT0R_He4D
    MoT0R_He4D Posts: 15
    edited September 2003
    Dayum ,

well when it rains it pours huh......unfortunately im not enough of a audio geek to know what to even tell ya on that cody lol

now if you need new windows a PC system tweaked or over clocked maybe a firearm refinished ,customized or repaired then im your guy bud heh .......but no helpful ideas coming to mind on you present probs.

Teh MoT0R
    Not all who wander are lost ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    well now thats its day light...and i can think
    i can see a nice cut in the wire about 3/4" from the tweeter
    but its just a cut in the insulation it appears
    i cannot see any damage to the leads at all
    im going to hook the tweeter up straight to the crossover on the drivers side to see if it works
    if it works them im going to hook up the woofer to the tweeter inputs and see if the woofer is putting out any sound
    im hoping its the tweeter
    1. its a lot easier to take out/put back in
    2. save on shipping
    3. speakers blow more than crossovers...so id rather have a new speaker than a new crossover
    oo...and theZeb has not credited me with the first amp yet
    so im going to go over there and cut off their balls tomorrow...well i want to
    but i guess ill have to settle with a really bad phone call
    i wish i was "Ghost Dad"(referring to the movie) where i can just go through the phone line and strangle them
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    ghost dad? -- dude you are so old.

:)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    they may have used black glue from a hot gule gun, it's what they use at CC. and that little cut in your wire may have grounded the speaker thereby frying it :( bummer
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    maybe mtx...i plan on testing to tomorrow or the next day
    sending back whatever is wrong the day after
    i got my refund checks from sounddomain and onlinecarstereo today
    i think i have enough money to order my amps not but im not sure...i need to check...ill check tomorrow and if i do wednesday ill send off the money order
    im so happy
    lol
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    good news...xm antenna and capacitor came in today...both with no problems
    im going to send a money order today for the amps
    hopefully i can wire everything(including xm) this weekend and be ready for the amps before they get here
    i wasnt able to check out my tweeter cuz its raining outside and i need to be able to leave my door open
    maybe i can do it tonight after i get home
    oo and mtx..it is black glue from a hot glue gun...
    anyone know where i can get some black hot glue?
    hobby lobby?
    is there a reason why its black?
    im guessing if theres a small hole or something the black will "fit it" as the clear/white will not?
    no refund from theZeb yet
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    absolutely no diferance between black,clear, white glue sticks. the only diff is the color. there is a yellowish kind that is better which is what they use in the factory on your car. the black is used to better match the surfaces of your car (typically things will be mounted to a black surface like the inside of most door panels) it's purely cosmetic ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    i was thinking it was a purely cosmetic thing but wasnt sure...im sure the black isnt as noticeable as the white stuff...so hopefully i can pick up some somewhere
    i switched the wires from the woofer and put it in the tweeter out put and i wired the tweeter directly to the woofer output on the crossover
    tweeter didnt work, woofer did
    so its the tweeter
    so ill be sending that back thursday probably
    im going to wire everything up this weekend as i have nothing going on
    well, not as of today, hopefully plans wont change
    im going to take the seats and carpet out and such and i have a friend who knows nothing about audio...but is going to help me take out the seats and stuff like that
    im going to have a lot of extra wiring now
    cuz i know i bought more than i needed
    and i already have a 4awg and 8awg kit under the carpet...one went to the bd...the other currently powers the components
    well 3/4 of the compoents since im down a tweeter
    in 2 weeks or less most likely, everything will be running
    whenever the amps come in pretty much
    cant wait...4 months without bass...how did i live?
    -Cody